Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: KUIU Question

Default KUIU Question

I know a bunch of forum members have bought. After hiking several thousand feet through a Ketchickan rain forrest in the rain, I vowed to find a solution to Impertech.

So how has this stuff held for anyone who's been out alder bustin? Any hesitations on having this stuff as your only set of rain gear on a AK Peninsula bear hunt?

I'm thinking of asking Santa for a set.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Patrick:

Give stid2677 a shout. He should be able to answer a lot of your questions.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I know a bunch of forum members have bought. After hiking several thousand feet through a Ketchickan rain forrest in the rain, I vowed to find a solution to Impertech.

So how has this stuff held for anyone who's been out alder bustin? Any hesitations on having this stuff as your only set of rain gear on a AK Peninsula bear hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post

Best rain gear I have tried in years. Wore it almost everyday on kodiak, stayed warm and dry. Awesome as a wind breaker and held up to some hard use. Only issue I had was the camo fabric, came unglued from the velcro on the sleeves, like every jacket I have ever bought. It must be very hard to get an adhesive to stick to the back of velcro as I have seen this problem several times. Not a issue for me just cut off the small piece that was flapping.

I wish the rain pants had front pocket access, but I'm a cargo pocket type guy anyway and just used the leg zippers to access my cargo pockets. The Jacket is nice with pit zips that allow you to vent when moving, could use a chest pocket on the outside, but still very light and well made. While not whisper quite,, it is about the quietest rain gear I have tried..

Oh,, and the Attack pants are the cats behind.. Can't wait to get a charcoal pair as town pants. After a year of use they still look almost new and the fabric they use is very stretchy and both wicks water away and dries in no time.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Go ahead and ask Santa for a set. I'll mirror Steve's comments- very good raingear.

Mine has kept me dry on Hinchinbrook, fishing in PWS, dipping the Copper, and through a very wet hunting season and has held up reasonably well all things considered. Probably the best of the breathable type rain gear I've tried and I've never been a fan of that type of rain gear.

The attack pants are nothing short of fabulous. Be sure to get charcoal cause you'll want to wear them other places.

Do pay attention to their sizing chart because their sizing runs a bit differently than anybody else.

Sizing? How's the the sizing for the rain jacket? I wear a large in atheltic fit cut jackets and a medium in more loose fitting clothes. WHere does Kuiu fit in??
    How do the pants compare to Arc teryx pants?? I'm trying to deciede on which pants and rain jacket to get for next year. THanks your everybody's advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Sizing? How's the the sizing for the rain jacket? I wear a large in atheltic fit cut jackets and a medium in more loose fitting clothes. WHere does Kuiu fit in??
    How do the pants compare to Arc teryx pants?? I'm trying to deciede on which pants and rain jacket to get for next year. THanks your everybody's advice.
    I'm 5 ft 7 and 175lbs,, I wear a Large in Jackets and found that the Kuiu Jacket was true to a large although the sleeves seem to run longer than some others.

I wore a pair of Arc teryx pants Gamma Mountain Pants and they were my favorite until I tried the Attack pants. The Attack pants show a fraction of the wear the Arcteryx pants did after a similar amount of wear. I still like my Arcteryx pants,, they just are not as nice as the Attack pants and the Attack pants were half the price.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

They seem to fit like normal for me. I am a XXL in pretty much everything and my Chugach jacket is exactly that.

Sizing...I'm an XL/L in everything and a XXL in the Kuiu. The sizing chart is correct and its worth double checking before you order...my stuff would have been too small if I assumed their sizing was the same as I've commonly found. They are athletic cut and fit tight unless you upsize for a little breathing room.

The sleeves and inseams run long...more like a tall, which actually works in my favor.

Thanks guys good to know on sizing looks like I'm for sure a large.

With a 30" waist and inseam I opt'd for the medium pants but large jacket. Just had to try it. Really like my eVent jacket, but figure what the hay, I have like 8 backpacks, 7 sleeping bags, and I don't even know how many tents, why not try this out too.

Need to GEAR PURGE soon!!!!

I only wish you wore my size!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    With a 30" waist and inseam I opt'd for the medium pants but large jacket.
    Did you just place the order, or do you already have the gear? I'm curious how that size combo works for you. I'm thinking of the same order. I've got a long torso but short legs, so let me know that that combo turns out like as far as fit.

I'm still reluctant to pull the trigger, as I want to see what they offer for a camo pattern next year. I almost never use camo anyhow, but I figure if I'm getting the gear I might as well get the best pattern available.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Did you just place the order, or do you already have the gear? I'm curious how that size combo works for you. I'm thinking of the same order. I've got a long torso but short legs, so let me know that that combo turns out like as far as fit.

I'm still reluctant to pull the trigger, as I want to see what they offer for a camo pattern next year. I almost never use camo anyhow, but I figure if I'm getting the gear I might as well get the best pattern available.
    Brian, when it comes in I hope to take it down to Prince of Wales the day after I try it on. It never rains down there so I won't get to function test But I can test fit it. I opt'd for non-camo as camo by and large just isn't for me. Never felt any more "sneaky" wearing it, but thats just me. Just got the "frost grey" color and called it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I opt'd for non-camo as camo by and large just isn't for me. Never felt any more "sneaky" wearing it, but thats just me. Just got the "frost grey" color and called it good.
    Yep, I'm leaning towards the grey color as well, though if they came out with a mountain mimicry pattern I might go that route instead. I've got plenty of other jackets for non-hunting purposes, so I wouldn't mind a camo set for my hunting gear...but I'd rather have grey if the pattern doesn't seem to be helpful.

The only piece I ordered in camo was the rain jacket...everything else was solid. I've snuck up on several critters in it. The greys, browns and charcoal blend in pretty well with the rock piles. I do like the Vais pattern though and it seems to work well for the folks who've tried it- not dark and very open.

Well, Santa said yes. Just pulled the trigger on the chugach pants and coat.

Thanks for the input guys.

Now if I can just get Santa to bring me a new tent, and rifle and.....................
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

I went with the frost grey. Indeed durable for bustin' the brush. I've used my one pair of pants for all my wet hunts and while I have managed some wear there is no serious damage. Good stuff.

tlingit
    What size did you go with in the coat? I ordered the jacket in XL & find it on the border line of snug. After having sit in the closet for a month & just trying it again now I think I will send it back for a 2xl. Maybe I'm the only one who wears layers or even a small puff coat under their rain gear when its cold, but there is no way I could do that with an xl & be comfortable.
    Lujon said I could try his 2x for size but I haven't made it out to the valley in the last 3 weeks.

Are the Attack pants "archery hunt quiet" or the familiar synthetic "swish, swish" and do they get louder and "crackly" as temps drop?
    Thanks.

Well my rain gear just came in a bit ago. Tried on the size medium pants and found them just about perfect. Maybe a tad too long and wish the waist went just a hair snugger, but other than that its great. The large jacket leaves plenty o' room for layering. Probably could have gotten by with a medium there as well, but if have to wear a puffy coat underneath I'll be glad for the room. I'm 5'9 and 155 lbs (pre thanksgiving meal that is )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast