Thread: Temp and pressure question.

Default Temp and pressure question.

Does anyone have any experience with IMR 4350 and pressure differences between sub freezing and say 70 degrees. Shot some max loads the other day at 8 degrees and they look real good. Just over max, like 1 grain more gave me pressure signs. I'm wondering if the max load at summer temps (60-70 degrees) will give me high pressure with the IMR 4350. Anyone chrony loads at similar temps and find a big difference?

i have some experience with that.......and temp test my ammunition on cool days. that way, when its cold they still group for me. i have noticed with my 30-06 ackley that warm temps may show pressure signs. as i don't shoot these "warm" loads in the heat it has never been a problem.

some calibers seem prone to pressure spikes...if loading near max, it is wise to keep ammunition out of the sun. long shot strings will spike pressures as well.
    happy trails.
    jh

IMR powders were always subject to pressure spikes especially IMR 4831. But I dumb so don't listen to me but that is why I use mostly Hogdon powders anyhow. With H-4350 and H-4831 being the tits for just about everything. Again for you 270 winchester guys 56.0gr H4831 140 gr bullet cant go wrong!

I'm starting to migrate to the Hodgdon powders for that reason but I've got a couple pounds of IMR 4350 to use up first.

+1 on my experience. I had some 308 loads in 4064 that when tested at 60 were spot on accurate, and held consistent velocities. At -5, the same load was erratic, and had trouble making enough gas to run the action in my AR-10. I switched to Varget, (extreme extruded), and my SD's came down regardless of temp, and have had no problems with gas. I'm sure the opposite would be true, since temperature and pressure are directly proportional.