Thread: Lake Trout Fishing

Smile Lake Trout Fishing

Hello! I'm a new member of the forum. I live in Anchorage and my dad wants to catch some good lake trout when he visits next summer (this is his request for a Christmas present!). I may not be able to guarantee him fish for Christmas, but I can have a good lake trout fishing experience planned for him as a gift.

Does anybody have a good recommendation for where to go on the road system? I'd be willing to drive as far south as Homer, as far north as Cantwell or as far east as Glennallen. I'm guessing that flying out to a lake would be too expensive (he would want to go with at least one or two other family members and not by himself).

What we are looking for -- a place where there is some very good lake trout fishing, where we can have access to a guide with a boat, and a place with some accommodations if it's an over-nighter since dad's not a tent camper these days.

Recommendations for lakes, guides, and accoomdations would be really helpful. Thanks!

P.S. He loves Lake Louise although last time we were there we were skunked. Don't know if that was just bad luck or a pervasive problem there.

I don't really know much about Laker fishing but out of curiosity what month is he going to be here?

No matter what you do. Lake trout can be tough. There are no guarantees. I only know one guy that guides lakers and I didn't see him on the lake this year.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    No matter what you do. Lake trout can be tough. There are no guarantees. I only know one guy that guides lakers and I didn't see him on the lake this year.
    For Trout, is better on rivers/streams type area ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    For Trout, is better on rivers/streams type area ?

Remember that we are talking about Lake Trout. Not trout in a lake. I only know one place that is good for lakers on a river and I'm not saying where. I fish lakes.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Remember that we are talking about Lake Trout. Not trout in a lake. I only know one place that is good for lakers on a river and I'm not saying where. I fish lakes.
    Come on Dirt, throw the guy a bone....It's not like it took you years to figure those Lakers out....

Wouldn't matter if he told me or not, its not like I'm anywhere close to Alaska .

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post
    Come on Dirt, throw the guy a bone....It's not like it took you years to figure those Lakers out....
    Like I know anything.

Is that a Lake Trout ?

Is that a Lake Trout ?
    Yes, the blood is mine..... she bit me.

Is that a Lake Trout ?
    Heard he got that outta a whitefish net...Let the rumors begin...

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Heard he got that outta a whitefish net...Let the rumors begin...
    Just remember that every time you pick on the old guy, he stops by your shanty and drinks all your booze.

I'll throw you a bone. You need a boat. I would try Lake Louise off the Glen Hwy. I know that Long Lake also has lakers on the Glen. Hidden Lake in the Kenai Peninsula definitely has lakers. Your dad will have alot more fun catching Pike.

When the time gets closer, PM me and I will do some research on a laker guide.

Jim McCormick, he does trips for lakers. Don't forget Paxson lake, they have lakers too. Honeslty if you want to fish lakers go to lake Klune.............way better then lake Louise but it is about a 12 hour drive oh and in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by qkayak View Post
    I'll throw you a bone. You need a boat. I would try Lake Louise off the Glen Hwy. I know that Long Lake also has lakers on the Glen. Hidden Lake in the Kenai Peninsula definitely has lakers. Your dad will have alot more fun catching Pike.
    Thanks for the bone! I'll check to see if catching Pike would be as good of an option for my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by jjloudon View Post
    Thanks for the bone! I'll check to see if catching Pike would be as good of an option for my dad.
    For about $250 and a short scenic flight, you can catch those toothy things all day long. I sent my father in law over there with my wife and they came back with smiles and they caught them all day with flies. It is not my thing but my guest sure love it.