Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turnagain Pass conditions....why isn't it open???

Default Turnagain Pass conditions....why isn't it open???

For those wondering, the USFS has mysteriously stopped telling us how deep the snow is in the pass. FYI it has nearly 40 and closer to 48" on the flats.

The USFS is supposed to open based on adequate snow cover (they say 30" is enough) but now with 40+" they are still not open!!??

Give em a call 3 783-3242 and ask why they aren't open NOW and why are they waiting until the 23rd. Public call do matter and last year I got Placer opend for a couple of day before it rained based on actual opbservation. I'll take a tape measue and post photos ASAP!

It's not just snow depth that is a determining factor, but also the density of the snowpack. The snow up in the pass (at least prior to this windstorm) was light, fluffy, and basically had no form. Snowmachines would go right through the bottom of it, so it needed time to settle and condense. From where I stand, it's a wise decision to hold off until the base is solid. Damage to the underlying ground only jeopardizes snowmachine access to that area in the long term with very little short term gain.

Brian is correct. USFS has rarely ever opened Turnagain prior to Dec 1. The couple times they have were the result of an early snow and thaw period that gave a very good snow base. Another big storm gave them the opportunity to open early with no damage potential.

kevin

'Zactly what they said. There's more to it than snow depth. USFS is NOT trying to keep snowmachines out of the forest. They actually do support the sport. Just look at all the $ they've been dumping into building winter snowmobile trails over the last few years. From blasting a snowmachine switchback trail by Spencer glacier to placing bridges to connect a trail from Johnson Pass through Turnagain Pass that is specifically for snowmachines, they are actively promoting the sport.

Getting a bunch of unneeded calls from ill-informed, angry snowmachiners is NOT going to help promote the right relationship with the USFS guys. So please, do NOT call their office as requested by the OP. I guarantee that they are evaluating snow conditions on a daily basis and as soon as the snow conditions fit the established criteria to allow motorized recreation, they'll let us all know.

It's only mid-November. Chillaxe a bit.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Sometimes the Squeaky Wheel doesn't get oiled. It get's replaced.

Just sayin'.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

The snow IS dence and the snowmachines will NOT go to the bottom. I was just giving you the actual conditions that exist....
    By the way, most new snowmobiles are designed to go on top of the snow and if a 160HP does not go to the ground on the 20" in my yard, how will it go to the bottom on 40".

Have you folks EVEN been up there? You trust the feds more than an actual observation? Love how you are defending the action with no knowledge of the area.

Read the Forest Plan and look at the openings in the last few years and tell me how much they support the snowmobiling on CNF.

Anyone else want some popcorn?

I'm here to be educated about Turnagain Pass.....I mean I've spent so LITTLE time up there.

Please, educate us newbies.....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.

How many machines ride in your yard? How steep is it? Did you observe all of the riding areas in turnigan?

Quote Originally Posted by aksnowmo View Post
    The snow IS dence and the snowmachines will NOT go to the bottom. I was just giving you the actual conditions that exist....
    By the way, most new snowmobiles are designed to go on top of the snow and if a 160HP does not go to the ground on the 20" in my yard, how will it go to the bottom on 40".

Have you folks EVEN been up there? You trust the feds more than an actual observation? Love how you are defending the action with no knowledge of the area.
    He said snowmobile........aa-ha-ha-ha

imagesCAI5R11E.jpg
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    He said snowmobile........aa-ha-ha-ha

imagesCAI5R11E.jpg

That is what they are. I see the anti motorized group (mods) is alive and well on the snowmachine forum.

Yes, I have. Three days ago. Love how you're assuming that folks have no knowledge of the area.

That is what they are. I see the anti motorized group (mods) is alive and well on the snowmachine forum.
    Mods are anti motorized? Dang...I guess I'd better go sell my 6 wheeler and 4 wheeler. LuJon, you'd better go sell that snowmachine of yours and tell Luke, Kyle, Dave, Steve, and the others to sell their numerous motorized toys.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here...but come on, painting someone as "anti motorized" because they interpret a situation differently than you is ridiculous, especially when nearly every mod I can think of has numerous motorized toys.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Mods are anti motorized? Dang...I guess I'd better go sell my 6 wheeler and 4 wheeler. LuJon, you'd better go sell that snowmachine of yours and tell Luke, Kyle, Dave, Steve, and the others to sell their numerous motorized toys.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here...but come on, painting someone as "anti motorized" because they interpret a situation differently than you is ridiculous, especially when nearly every mod I can think of has numerous motorized toys.
    I personally saw Lujon in a raft with a Hippie....I think he is a plant.

I think what FishGod meant was "you're not from around here are you?"

Snowmachine or Snogo in Alaska, I'm guessing you hail from the midwest

I see the anti motorized group (mods) is alive and well on the snowmachine forum.
    Just for kicks...

This past fall on my anti-motorized 6 wheeler:

A couple of winters ago looking for spring bear with two other anti-motorized mods:

And my favorite picture of the bunch. Perhaps this explains why this particular mod is anti-motorized?

Photoshop!!!!

What Brian is omitting is the fact all those toys are solar powered.....

[QUOTE=Brian M;1037753]Just for kicks...

This past fall on my anti-motorized 6 wheeler:

QUOTE]

Hey, isn't that a salmon stream???.....

Quote Originally Posted by Laker Taker View Post

Hey, isn't that a salmon stream???.....
    Nope! There's some grayling fishing to be had downstream a few miles, but definitely no salmon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast