Thread: Flipped raft, Swamped motor

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default Flipped raft, Swamped motor

Zero-Zero snow, blowing snow in the am as I dropped 4 guys off for deer. The plan was to sit at anchor till I saw or heard them shoot. by noon snow stopped, but wind kicked up, some looked like little tornatos. Just as I heard a shot and saw someome on the beach a gust came and flipped the raft with my 8hp 2 stroke yama, I quickly righted it and retrieved the gas can which was still attach to the motor. The oars were floating away! I decided to take the motor off and bring it inside the cabin and clean the carborater. while I did that I had the spark plugs heating over the colman stove. All assembled minus a couple of bushings and a screw I grabbed a snow shovel as an oar and head ashore, the motor ran fine, bet you couldnt have done that with a 4 stroke?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Zero-Zero snow, blowing snow in the am as I dropped 4 guys off for deer. The plan was to sit at anchor till I saw or heard them shoot. by noon snow stopped, but wind kicked up, some looked like little tornatos. Just as I heard a shot and saw someome on the beach a gust came and flipped the raft with my 8hp 2 stroke yama, I quickly righted it and retrieved the gas can which was still attach to the motor. The oars were floating away! I decided to take the motor off and bring it inside the cabin and clean the carborater. while I did that I had the spark plugs heating over the colman stove. All assembled minus a couple of bushings and a screw I grabbed a snow shovel as an oar and head ashore, the motor ran fine, bet you couldnt have done that with a 4 stroke?
    Yeah maybe, but the 4 stroke would have kept the raft from flipping....................LOL..........!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Charterboat Operator

had our raft with a 15 4 stroke honda, get blown upside down and about 20 yards down the beach, luckily it was on land over in Ugak last week, righted it and let it set over night, no problems. what a crazy year for weather over there, we got stuck for an extra 2 1/2 days, like you said in an earlier post, "way to go Andrews!"

A friend of my brothers is hunting bear with his Dad down in Halibut Cove, and they were supposed to come out last Thursday. They're still down there. Might get out tomorrow or the next day. A long stretch of wind and some snow. Glad both of your outboards survived the circus rides.

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

what I learned is to take motor off after every trip to shore and pull raft aboard, pain in the ***** but a solution.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Another option to consider is tying alongside differently. During a big blow while at anchor for three days, I opted to tie the bow of my raft forward, tie the near stern in tight to my boat, and then also tie the raft's handle on the outboard side snug to my boat. With the motor on the transom and fuel tank moved forward to the middle of the raft, the front of the raft would lift some in high winds, but ther was no way it could flip.

Something to consider vice the pain of doing what you just mentioned.

Mike

p.s. Talked with Mike York today, and he had lots of great things to say about the bucks you've been harvesting down there.....much like we're seeing in your posted pictures. Hope the beginning of the winter isn't an indication of how the rest of the winter is going to go down! The deer are finally starting to rebound from the two consecutive hard winters we got about 3 and 4 years ago.
    Last edited by HuntKodiak; 11-17-2011 at 18:35. Reason: left a word out