Thread: Sharper for field use?

Default Sharper for field use?

Which knife sharpener does everyone recommend for field use? It needs ot be quick and easy. Thanks.

Default Sharpener

I use these, but if you get a cutco drop point serrated, you won't need to sharpen it.

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...htm?E+coastest
    Steve

Something I did this year was carry 2 pastic utility knives (1 small & 1 larger) that have the blades that break off when they get dull. They worked really well for skining and caping. I used my folding gerber to field dress with, but those plastic utility knives worked really well for the detail work, and they are cheap and light. Just something to think about.

BTW-I carried a simple Gerber field sharpener with the crossed ceramic sticks in case the utility knives didn't work.

Default Cutco

I would recomend getting a cutco for the lifetime sharpening and the quality steel. You should still carry a backup just in case. Luck favors the prepared.

I got this one just a little while ago. It is extremely lightweight and compacts to the size of a pen. I wouldn't use it for everyday use, but worked well for me out in the field a few weeks ago. Very inexpensive, $10 I think. I hope I won't have to carry it once my 2 new cutco knives come in!!

http://www.smithabrasives.com/sa/diamonds.html It's the DRET