Thread: Hand predator calls

Default Hand predator calls

Looking to get into predator calling this winter, anyone have recommendations on decent mouth calls

Thanks,
    Trout

"I Envy Him And Him Only, That Catches More Fish Than I Do" Izaac Walton 1653
    The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

Cronk calls makes some excellent howlers and killer call.

Also get a Sceery AP-6, one of the best cold weather calls around and can make a mouse squeak to raspy rabbit distress. I usually carry my Cronk Killer Call and 2 of the AP-6's with me.

http://www.cronkpredatorcalls.com/

http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/prod...dator-AP6.html

snowcamo..thanks for the advice! Now time to learn by good ol trial and error

keep em in the ten range
    trout

The question of hunting is not a matter of life or death... it's more important than that

I have had good success with the lil dog by Primos. there are a lot of different sounds that you can make with it.

A small squeaker attached to you rifle is also nice to have so that you can stop coyotes and fox as you are aiming.

Bcook hit on a good one. The squeaker attached to the forearm of the rifle is a handy addition for pretty much motionless sound to stop or coerce a critter to stop or come on closer for a look.

The Lil Dog has done me good so far. Like the others have said, a mouse squeaker is great for getting them to stop, or bring them in if you know they are close and need a less obtrusive sound that won't scare them away. I use the insert out of a dog toy because its cheap and it works.

I'd add one more too, or atleast try one out, and thats the Johnny Stewart PC-3 bite call. You can get them just about anywhere, even Ebay for less then $10.

The calls above are all good ones, I just prefer the versatility in sounds I get from the bite call.

Good luck.
    I'm Pro-Pike.

Thanks guys, Hopefully I will have some pics soon

i like the old wooden rabbit in distress, easy to use, lightweight, and pretty effective if you know how to use it right

Release Lake Trout

Default decoys

since we are on this topic, let's here some opinions on decoy use (brands, methods and placements).
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

I have the lil dog from primos too, I got the "combo" it has the white call, the green call and a DVD on how to call. I think it was 17 bucks at chimos. you can take the megaphone off so its not so over bearing, also, if you pinch the very tip of the little plastic flapper thingy, and blow gently it makes a mouse squeak. if fact, it works so good, I scared a group of folks around a bo fire earlier tonight, I'll do a write up on it... hehe
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Default consider local

Consider looking into a local call maker from the kenai www.reeselanyards.com he's got some good products

I am an Alaskan call maker. I build hand calls and a wolf howler.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wolf howler.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	55365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3 calls.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	55366

www.reeseoutdoors.com

Any problems with these freezing? My buddy and I were out a while back blowing rabbit in distress for foxes (didn't get any) and we were fighting them freezing up...