Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I know it's kinda silly, but dang is it fun

Default I know it's kinda silly, but dang is it fun

So, after much ridiculing my friend for buying a Ruger LCP, I held it, dry fired it, and what the heck, I bought one. It was only $270, and figured I could sell it for not much loss if I hated it. 100 rounds later, and adding a crimson trace laser... this thing is a hoot!

Range report: without laser, 90gr FMJ- first mag was all over the place. It shot about 12" low, and 3" right (ish) at 7 yds. Part of it may be the 8lb/1.5" trigger pull and 2.75" barrel, but a lot of it is just that the fixed sights are almost worthless. My friend's shot POA, and 6" groups at 7 yds offhand out of the box, so maybe he got a better regulated one. I'm usually a better pistol shot than he is, but I'm not so cocky to think that maybe he just handled it better. $170 later, I got a crimson trace grip activated laser. I hate the idea of lasers, since, for accuracy, it's cheating, and I have reservations on the tactical pros/cons. However, once the laser is zeroed, it's a tack driver out to 25 yards, and the laser is only activated when I tighten my grip with my middle finger... a tactical compromise.

I have no illusions about the desirability of the .380 for self defense. This will be my tertiary gun. 1st being my 1911, second being my 327 Fed Mag, and last being my LCP .380. It's just so darn convenient, fitting in my shirt pocket, not looking like any more than a pack of cigarettes.

Did I mention it's a hoot to shoot?

I have a similar Kel-Tec .380, and I carry mine in my front pocket pretty much all the time in one of these: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/890...ps-nylon-black

I strongly recommend something likek that, so you don't have something catch on the trigger when carrying it around.

The .380 is IMO much more effective against humans than most people think. It's not in the same effectiveness category as the caretridges in the 9mm - .45 ACP class, but I seriously doubt that any intruder or other bad guy who gets peppered with .380s in the head or chest areas will be able to do much in response, and even if they can, they almost certainly will run the other way if possible.

And while my .380, which is about as voluminous and heavy as my set of keys ringed to my truck door remote thingy, is in my pocket, I am not prohibited from carrying or accessing something bigger if I want. I figure if I carry the .380 all the time when I can, I'll be a lot better off than if I only carry it when I predict trouble, which is very hard to do accurately.

Only bad thing I can say comes at the reloading bench. That stubby little case and stubby little bullet have managed to pinch my clubby fingers in every loading session. Starting bullets in cases is something for small hands.

Trouble is, these little guns are so much fun to shoot, I ain't rich enough to keep them fed with factory rounds. Reloading it is, and lots of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Only bad thing I can say comes at the reloading bench. That stubby little case and stubby little bullet have managed to pinch my clubby fingers in every loading session. Starting bullets in cases is something for small hands.

Trouble is, these little guns are so much fun to shoot, I ain't rich enough to keep them fed with factory rounds. Reloading it is, and lots of it.
    That's one of my concerns. When I build up enough factory brass stock, I plan on reloading on my progressive, but I wonder if it's even tall enough to activate the powder drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    So, after much ridiculing my friend for buying a Ruger LCP, I held it, dry fired it, and what the heck, I bought one. It was only $270, and figured I could sell it for not much loss if I hated it. 100 rounds later, and adding a crimson trace laser... this thing is a hoot!

Range report: without laser, 90gr FMJ- first mag was all over the place. It shot about 12" low, and 3" right (ish) at 7 yds. Part of it may be the 8lb/1.5" trigger pull and 2.75" barrel, but a lot of it is just that the fixed sights are almost worthless. My friend's shot POA, and 6" groups at 7 yds offhand out of the box, so maybe he got a better regulated one. I'm usually a better pistol shot than he is, but I'm not so cocky to think that maybe he just handled it better. $170 later, I got a crimson trace grip activated laser. I hate the idea of lasers, since, for accuracy, it's cheating, and I have reservations on the tactical pros/cons. However, once the laser is zeroed, it's a tack driver out to 25 yards, and the laser is only activated when I tighten my grip with my middle finger... a tactical compromise.

I have no illusions about the desirability of the .380 for self defense. This will be my tertiary gun. 1st being my 1911, second being my 327 Fed Mag, and last being my LCP .380. It's just so darn convenient, fitting in my shirt pocket, not looking like any more than a pack of cigarettes.

Did I mention it's a hoot to shoot?
    I had a lady on my last advanced handgun course with an LCP. She had other guns, but was determined to use the LCP as that iis her most regular carry gun. At the start of the course she admitted she couldn't hit a barn door at 7 yds. A major part of the course (all SD shooting) was to get used to focusing on the target and just having the pistol in eyesight (using the slide/barrel as a sighting reference) and using natural positioning and not using the sights. To some shooting 'unsighted' is contraversial, but it shaves a lot of time off of those SD (7yds and less) shots and with practice is very easy. By the end of the course she was extremely proficient at 'unsighted' shooting and also this helped her hugely with longer range(10-20yds) sighted shots; the 'unsighted' drills got her used to where the LCP pointed naturally and assisted her greatly with sighted shooting.
    The LCP is a fine little pistol and 380 is a fine little cartridge for SD, you just need to practice a lot with it as the old addage of 'shot placement' (and bullet selection) is never more true than with the 380.
    As for your CT laser grip, I am also not a huge fan of lasers on SD guns, except for as a training medium. That's your choice, personally I would have invested in a few 100 more rounds of ammo for training.
    I garuntee that the LCP with, in time, become your primary town carry, it's so easy to have with you. So get really good with it.

Quote Originally Posted by nbh40 View Post
    I had a lady on my last advanced handgun course with an LCP. She had other guns, but was determined to use the LCP as that iis her most regular carry gun. At the start of the course she admitted she couldn't hit a barn door at 7 yds. A major part of the course (all SD shooting) was to get used to focusing on the target and just having the pistol in eyesight (using the slide/barrel as a sighting reference) and using natural positioning and not using the sights. To some shooting 'unsighted' is contraversial, but it shaves a lot of time off of those SD (7yds and less) shots and with practice is very easy. By the end of the course she was extremely proficient at 'unsighted' shooting and also this helped her hugely with longer range(10-20yds) sighted shots; the 'unsighted' drills got her used to where the LCP pointed naturally and assisted her greatly with sighted shooting.
    The LCP is a fine little pistol and 380 is a fine little cartridge for SD, you just need to practice a lot with it as the old addage of 'shot placement' (and bullet selection) is never more true than with the 380.
    As for your CT laser grip, I am also not a huge fan of lasers on SD guns, except for as a training medium. That's your choice, personally I would have invested in a few 100 more rounds of ammo for training.
    I garuntee that the LCP with, in time, become your primary town carry, it's so easy to have with you. So get really good with it.
    I agree with you on the practice part. I try to get 500 rounds a week downrange on my various firearms. With my 1911, i'm pretty good at the point-shoot method, and rarely look at the sights. I can regularly put 7 into a 3x5 card at 15 yards without sights. The LCP, is obviously a little more challenging due to the trigger, and the small size not fitting my hand very well. As far as lasers... I also agree and have reservations (see OP).

I don't think I will ever see the LCP as my primary carry weapon though. I've gone for years carrying either a 1911 (currently in shop) or my 4" Python until the 1911 comes back. I don't see any reason to change. I also regularly carry an SP101 in 327 Fed Mag as a BUG.

My carry pistol is a Glock SF 30. I have a Bersa 380 that I've had for 24 years, carried it for several years, and occasionally still carry it when size/bulk is an issue. Some 380 loads, like from Buffalo Bore, rival the energy of a standard 9mm. Of course, the +P loads in 9mm will exceed the +P in 380 but in either case it can be an an effective tool. I've never handled the Ruger LCP, but it looks pretty convenient to carry.

Buffalo Bore Ammunition 380 ACP +P 80 Grain Barnes TAC-XP Jacketed Hollow Point Lead-Free

Technical Information Caliber: 380 ACP +P
    Bullet Weight: 80 Grains
    Bullet Style: Barnes TAC-XP Jacketed Hollow Point
    Case Type: Brass
    Ballistics Information:
    Muzzle Velocity: 1275 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 348 ft. lbs.

Congrats on your new Ruger!

MyTime

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I do, appreciate hearing the reports, but at this point, I'm thinking that my Walther PPK, 380 is tuff enuff to handle, and I don't need a 380 that is even smaller.

Keep the info comin. Good Thread.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Smitty,

My Bersa is an under rated handgun, similar in size to the Walther PPK. The Ruger 380 LCP is interesting, but I'm content with my 380.

MyTime

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I do, appreciate hearing the reports, but at this point, I'm thinking that my Walther PPK, 380 is tuff enuff to handle, and I don't need a 380 that is even smaller.

Keep the info comin. Good Thread.

Smitty of the North
    While the LCP is no slouch with hot .380 ammo, I've shot PPK's that were harder to handle. I don't know if it's the grip shape or extra mass moving in the slide or what. I'm sure it's one of those personal preference issues.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    While the LCP is no slouch with hot .380 ammo, I've shot PPK's that were harder to handle. I don't know if it's the grip shape or extra mass moving in the slide or what. I'm sure it's one of those personal preference issues.
    I'm not sure about the PPK, however I have a Walther PK 380 which was designed off the p22 and that gun is great to shoot. In addition it handles hot loads very well with minimal recoil. Not to mention it is extremely accurate.

AS for as 380's go, I bought the wife a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard w/built in laser, I have a Ruger LCP that I just bought for myself, and I had Tuarus PT738 (Just sent to my daughter in-law). The wife did not like the Tuarus as it hurt her finger and she really likes her S&W. I have shot all three, but have not shot the Ruger enough to know how well I'm going to like it. If it is anything like the Ruger LC9, I'm really really going to like it.

The Tuarus was picky about ammo whereas the S&W and Ruger will shoot anything.

Enjoy!

OK, guys, forgive me if I got this RONG, but:

As I understand it, there was the PP, then the PPK, which had a shorter barrel and grip.

Later, the PPKs which was made to fit into the 68 GCA. It had the same barrel length as the PPK but the Grip length of the PP.

I hear tell that the longer grip makes the recoil more managable.

The Ruger LCP, has a very short grip, so I dunno if a neophyte like myself would like it.

There is a lot of appeal for a smal 380 for the reasons already mentioned.

I have, considered the DB 380 though, for a smaller 380. It has a longer grip, and great sights. It appears to be a better design as to dimensions.

I've heard some bad stuff about it, but apparently, they can be fixed, or have been with the new models.

I know a guy who has one, and is quite happy with it, but he never offered to let me shoot it.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

OK, guys, forgive me if I got this RONG, but:

As I understand it, there was the PP, then the PPK, which had a shorter barrel and grip.

Later, the PPKs which was made to fit into the 68 GCA. It had the same barrel length as the PPK but the Grip length of the PP.

I hear tell that the longer grip makes the recoil more managable.
    There is the PPK in 380 here:
    http://www.waltherpistols.com/catego..._Handguns.aspx

Then the PK 380 here:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...06&isFirearm=Y

I've shot my father's and my bother's PPK/Ss, and I love their ergonomics. But they are somewhat ammo-sensitive, and are almost as large as my Glock G27 with a longer barrel firing a.40 S&W. My KT P3A(, which is functionally similar to the Ruger, shoots everything I have thrown at it and recoils less. The Walthers are nice, but I can get another .380 that weighs about half as much and fits in my pocket. I'm very close to getting a 9mm Rohrbaugh for the same reason. I'm looking for something that disables bad guys at under 25 feet that fits into my pocket, not something that needs to win a shootout at 25 yds. I have plenty of other guns for that.

For you 380 guys I just ran across this in swap and sell at castboolits forums. 360+ j-words for 40 bucks shipped. Not sure if it's a good deal but figure I'd give you a heads up. I don't know the seller.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=133599

The Ruger LCP, has a very short grip, so I dunno if a neophyte like myself would like it.

There is a lot of appeal for a smal 380 for the reasons already mentioned.

I have, considered the DB 380 though, for a smaller 380. It has a longer grip, and great sights. It appears to be a better design as to dimensions.

I've heard some bad stuff about it, but apparently, they can be fixed, or have been with the new models.

I know a guy who has one, and is quite happy with it, but he never offered to let me shoot it.

Smitty of the North
    I have handled the DB 380, and it is essentially the same size as an LCP, but, like you said, has some reliability problems. One thing that is included with the ruger is a "toed" magazine floorplate. It fits just perfectly for the ring finger to hold, and greatly improve handling. I'm up to 500 rounds out of the LCP, and although the ergos kinda bother me after extended shooting (my finger rubs on the lower inside of the trigger guard) it is not a big deal to shoot alot, and accurately.

On a side note, I found a really cool site with data about real world shootings, the caliber, type of bullet, and results...

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp

The 380 averages about 70% one shot stops

Akheloce:
    Thanks for the Info, and the Site.
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    On a side note, I found a really cool site with data about real world shootings, the caliber, type of bullet, and results...

http://www.handloads.com/misc/stoppingpower.asp

The 380 averages about 70% one shot stops
    Thanks for the web site, good information!

MyTime

Have the sig sauer 380 as my CC. I like it, but I went with the SS frame and it is heavier than it's Aluminum bretherin. GREAT gun to shoot. However, my wife (who is a LEO) went to range and at 15yds she can fill a 3x5 card with standard sites. It was her first time shooting it when she did this. She showed me up big time, as I'm more of a "center of mass" shooter.

We also have the LCP, and it took a QUICK backseat to the Sig after shooting the two. Night and day difference.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast