Thread: decisions, decisions, 1895 vs.1886

Default decisions, decisions, 1895 vs.1886

Which would you buy ( both 2nd hand), Browning1895 in 30-40Krag or Browning 1886SRC 45-70, slightly bubba'd. The first one is $750, the second$1,000. Interested in opinions as I want both and can't buy both. The first won has the Lyman replica sight on it ( yes, I know what that is worth) Thanks for your thoughts. Both are targets of opportunity, don't "need" either.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

The Browning 1895 is 30-40 Krag. Why? Because it is priced a bit closer to what it is actually worth. The 1886 is priced no where near what it is worth if it has been bubba'ed.

Default decisions

The 1886 has had a sling stud attached and some hunting dings and rubs on the stock. The 1895 has had original stocks fore and aft replaced because 1st owner had a Buffalo head nickel in forearm , Im told. Original wood and ladder sight come with gun. Leaning toward the Krag but was really looking for the SRC, what do the latter go for in your neck of the woods?

I have a Browning 86 SRC. They are not worth 1,000 as a standard model. The stock dimensions are not quite right compared to my real Winchester 1886s. Although they are a good strong gun. And the Saddle ring carbine Browning's rear sight is not really very functional. I had to install a tang peep on mine which does not really look so great with the short carbine barrel but at least you can actually hit something with it.

I do not own a Browning (japanese) copy of an 1895 Winchester. I do have a couple real 95s and have owned more than a few. The price sounds more like something a 95 copy should cost. 30-40 Krag is a good cartridge if properly employed by a good shot. Since my youngest 95 was made around 1910, I tend to load them with 200 and 220 grain slugs at a moderate velocity.

45-70 ammo is pretty easy to find compared to 30-40 Krag.
    The Win 1886 style guns are easier for some people to carry than the Win 1895 type rifles. The magazine on the 95s seems to be right at the balance point.
    Although that magazine will let you fire nice pointed bullets.

I tend to think of my 86s as lever carbines or brush rifles for 150 yards or less. Being 45-70, 45-90 and 33 Winchester.

The 1895s I tend to think of as rifle action RIFLES for 250 yards or less.

In what state did you come across this deal on the 95?
    xx
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default decisions

Canada, sir.

Default that is a decision!

I think Float Pilot pretty much covered it. Don't know how much time you have to make a decision but I can see how it would be a hard one. You can check on gunbroker, auctionarms or gunsamerica to see what comparable used ones are going for. To compare the two for field use is really hard- they are kinda like apples and oranges in lever actions. The 95 I have is original in 35 Win and has the Climin' Lyman peep and really shoots well. Collectors of original 95s really like the 405 and the 30-40 Krag calibers. The reproduction guns usually have better steel but like FP said they really need better sights. I love 86s if for no other reason than the super smooth action cycling. As in the 95s, the repro 86s will have better steel but poorer sights. I have more than few original 86s in 45-70 and others. All in all they are just so different it's hard to compare the actions. The 95 is way more "gadgety" so as to accomodate the stacked magazine while the 86 along with the 71 were, in my opinion, the ultimate in lever gun design. May have to just go with your gut, personal tastes, caliber preference and of course condition... with the bore being the most important.

Default decisions

Don't NEED either but would love to have both. The 95 has the Lyman site on which appeals to me, just got a Browning 95 in 30'06 and the standard sites are nigh on to useless for me. problem is , I'm gun poor (just bought a Savage 99R in 308) and the seller of the 95 phoned earl Sunday a.m early with a phone call for the guy(me) interestred in buying a rifle,problem is, my wife answered the phone . After I hung up, she asks , don't you think you have enough old rifles already or something to that effect What's a man to do? But you don't (or at least I don't) come across such gems every day (my wife might beg to differ as I seem to do quite well at finding must have guns too bloody often)!

Bearheart,,

Are there regional differences in Canadian gun laws or is it pretty much nation wide?

I have some very good friends in British Columbia and throughout the Yukon Territories who seem to have more toys than the folks I know in the eastern parts of Canada. And they are less jumpy about admitting it.

One of these days it would be interesting to have one of our Canadian brothers explain how the laws work there regarding purchase and ownership of firearms and ammo.

Every time I ferry a plane between here in Alaska and the lower 48, the cutoms folks tend to get a might excited about that subject.

xx
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Brand new marlin xlr series rifle is only $600-ish.

I don't think I'd pay that for a used one.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Bearheart,,

Are there regional differences in Canadian gun laws or is it pretty much nation wide?

I have some very good friends in British Columbia and throughout the Yukon Territories who seem to have more toys than the folks I know in the eastern parts of Canada. And they are less jumpy about admitting it.

One of these days it would be interesting to have one of our Canadian brothers explain how the laws work there regarding purchase and ownership of firearms and ammo.

Every time I ferry a plane between here in Alaska and the lower 48, the cutoms folks tend to get a might excited about that subject.

xx
    Gun laws are Federal and do not vary throughout the country. The West is in general more rural and therefore more gunny, pretty much like the U.S.:hence the different atitude towards firearms. That being said there are lots of folks in eastern Canada with lots of toys.The border is a whole other issue. The more relaxed U.s. atttitude about firearms tends to make the border folks abit uptight cause all you guys have fully auto weapons in your trunks and at least 2 concealed weapons on your person at all times, don't you!?

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    Gun laws are Federal and do not vary throughout the country. The West is in general more rural and therefore more gunny, pretty much like the U.S.:hence the different atitude towards firearms. That being said there are lots of folks in eastern Canada with lots of toys.The border is a whole other issue. The more relaxed U.s. atttitude about firearms tends to make the border folks abit uptight cause all you guys have fully auto weapons in your trunks and at least 2 concealed weapons on your person at all times, don't you!?
    Some guns laws are federal.

There are state gun laws, and city guns laws too, ... it's smart to ask and be sure.

And by "west" I'm sure you're not including California?

Default california

I thought about Cali ( fruits and nuts capital of the West) but restrained myself. I find it too depressing , I fear California is the face of the future. People would rather be safe (at least they think they are safe) than free. Our media is very California-ish. Semiauto weapons used in crimes are always reported as automatic weapons. And the way the word "guns" is pronounced in news reports is laughable. They say GUNNNSS! with such exagerated horror that it never fails to crack me and the wife up.

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    I thought about Cali ( fruits and nuts capital of the West) but restrained myself. I find it too depressing , I fear California is the face of the future. People would rather be safe (at least they think they are safe) than free. Our media is very California-ish. Semiauto weapons used in crimes are always reported as automatic weapons. And the way the word "guns" is pronounced in news reports is laughable. They say GUNNNSS! with such exagerated horror that it never fails to crack me and the wife up.
    Exactly... everyone expects the police department to provide for their personal protection AND they think that guunnnssss shoot people.... wackos!