Thread: Best place around or near anchorage to get into traditional archery?

Default Best place around or near anchorage to get into traditional archery?

Have decided to get into traditional archery and was wondering what the best place to go to get a bow would be? I have been looking around online and would like to get a closer look at a couple of the bear recurves, any suggestions would be great. In my searches around the forums i have seen alot of people talking about full curl archery, was not sure if they carry any recurves or what brands they have. Thanks

Try Back County Archery there are quite a few traditional guys that hang around there.

I have a Bear, Grizzley with #55 draw weight. I am in Wasilla and if you get this way during the day during with week we can meet at either one of the two ranges we have here. My cell is 980-1780.

George

Thanks for the tip akdd i took your advice and went down to back country archery last night, He had a kodiak hunter on consignment. I shot it and did not want to stop. It felt awesome in my hand and shot like a dream. So needless to say i bought it and all i want to do now is go shoot it. Only thing I need to figure out now is how I where I am going to find a hard case for it.

Hard cases are nice. I usually just run a fleece sock. Black widow sold at one time a nice one piece and a td hard case. I am sure three rivers and custom king does also.

Welcome to the world of traditional bowhunting!!!

I too use a sock type case, my bow is a take down so if I fly anywhere with it I can fit it in a pelican type case. Trad shooting is a blast, the only problem I have is grabbing my compound bow all the time lol, but seriously when I hunt with my compound I seem to get 20-30 yards shots, and when my recurve is in hand 40-50 yard shots (to far for me to shoot ethically). good luck

First I would like to thank you all for the friendly welcome and encouragement. I am very excited about getting into archery, and have been shooting every chance i get, usually about four or five times a week. After countless hours of searching and finding many people looking for the same thing the best option i have found for a hard case for a one piece recurve is made by a company called Neet. http://www.3RiversArchery.com/Produc...=0&i=4092#full
    It looks like i could take it and place it in a homemade box, and ship it that way. The only thing I don't like about it and traveling with it is that it does not lock, but i guess if I am shipping it then I do not really have to worry to much about that.

For take downs I still just use my fleece sock and pack in my duffel. If I get worried I stick socks over the tip and wrap the hinge in a t-shirt. That's for 2pc longbows. Bob lee has a very nice soft case.

I can't remember flying with a one piece curve. For one piece longbows Pvc tubes work very well.

I prefer to fly with my bow. My arrow case is also in my duffel. So if I loose one thing I loose it all. I ship cloths and boots if needed before I ship stickbows and my woodies. Lol

I would defiantly buy hard for a one pc curve. Neet makes some good cases. Another is Cathy Kelly designs. I think she does hard case also.

Pelican cases weigh tto much for me. I got tagged last spring
    in excess baggage fees on my turkey spree....not cheap. That was one expensive butter ball ;-)

I think I am going to end up buying a takedown to travel with. It will make things alot easier. Have been looking at a few now just time to decide

I have a Whip made by Dan Toelke and I love it. He is making a three piece takedown that is pretty nice also. All of his bows are a piece of art. Give him a call and talk to him. And if you would like to shoot my Whip sometime PM and we could meet in the Valley or Anchorage if I am in town. http://montanabows.com/cms/

I actually have shot a whip and really liked it. That bow certainly is in the running, the price is a little higher than what I was wanting to spend but after shooting nicer bows like the bear I bought, I really like the nicer bows and the saying is true, you get what you pay for.

you do definatly though there are some excellent production bows...checkmate being one.

The best thing you can do is shoot. Shoot a LOT! Shoot as many bows as you can get your hands on. Look on the classifieds and dont buy anything until you find something you like. or atleast make some kind of arrangement with the seller about a return.

Archery talk, tradgang, here, craigslist, alaska list (there is a bighorn and a super cheap widow for sale, I know the owner personally....its al older bow as is the bighorn.

There are so many....just becareful the buy bug hits.

Realize there are so many great bows out there, find one and shoot it till it falls apart. I have too many after 21 years of doing it. Its almost an addiction. There is NO magical bow.....I love hearing it, they all shoot great. Find a design you like, narrow it down to a bowyer and be patient. Once you find one you like, BUY MORE! I cracked my old favorite bow...and he cant or wont make another like it.....

The current bow I am shooting is a liberty chief, 2 piece td r/d longbow..I love it. So I got 3, exactly the same. The bowyer builds as a hobby and guess what..he doesnt make the chief anymore. I want 2 or 3 more...as I want to head to australia for water buff and wanted to do it with this bow. See where I'm going! LOL.

Wes wallace makes a great longbow also. I like how he uses the smaller sleeves and is able to put in a locator grip with the sleeves unlike all but one other bowyer...he's first class....good luck finding a used one though LOL! Blacktail I believe does the same thing.

Good luck, holler if you need help. I know plenty of the older gang down there that can atleast steer you in the right direction.

Im no expert, and ive only been at it for a year, but the best advice i can give you is to shoot as many bows as you can before you buy and to make sure you dont start with too high of a bow weight and overbow yourself.

Good luck

Try non-bow cases like gun cases and golf club cases for a lockable hardcase. Suggest the site TradGang.com but beware the armchair experts!

It's been awhile, and I was curious if you had bought a TD yet, and what you ended up getting? I started out shooting one piece bows at 12, years ago I got the take down bug, and recently find myself leaning back towards one pieces again. Mostly for just local shooting though, as it's hard to beat a take down for travel.

I love trad archery and cant wait to get to do some bow hunting in alaska, I got my first traditonal bow back in the summer and it is my dream bow, I have a shafer silvertip longbow and it is a shooter. I would recomend them to anyone but they carry a heafty price tag, but they are each a work of art. Here is a little slide show of my bow.http://s28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...view=slideshow

i also love archery.. and i recently customized my case for my bow and arrow kit...