Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FMA Moose Hunt

Default FMA Moose Hunt

Gonna get out the Nov 21-27th hunt! Probably road hunt like everyone else, unless there's good sign somewhere, but should be fun! Nothing like a hunt staying in a warm truck all day, then a bed at night and restraunts for dinner. Anyone else going up/out for that? Headed out with Akrstabout's dad, should be a blast.

I'll have the bow ready, but I've never had luck finding bulls during that one weeker. I've shot a cow during that season though.

what is it?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

What is what, FMA? If so, it is the Fairbanks Management Area, the part of 20B that surrounds and includes Fairbanks. It is a bow only area for moose. All other game, assuming you are outside of the city limits, can be taken w/ a firearm.
    I've been out and scored on T-day in the past. Not sure if I'll go as I'll be getting ready to head south. Might make it for a day though. Hmm, now you got me thinking. Well, whatever I decide, feel free to contact me while you are in town. Never know when you might need a hand hauling Mr. Big out of the woods.
    ARR

Yes, I was wondering what FMA is...Thank you.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Seriously, you are bragging about road hunting? Wow.

rilasp,

It's a good opportunity to fill the freezer for the winter. It is what it is, but one of the reasons that this opportunity is provided is to reduce moose numbers around the Fairbanks roads. I'd personally rather see somebody put a moose in their freezer from taking it during a normal season than have some charity pick up a splattered road kill while another Subaru is being shipped to the salvage yard. I don't think anybody was bragging, it's just taking advantage of the opportunities.

Jerod,
    Good points. I miss the late season (november-ish) spike fork hunt that we had in the 90's in the valley.
    Wish we had this oppurtunity in the valley as well. Good luck to all the guys in FBKS who take advantage of this.
    BK

Good luck with that, Ive been hunting the area since 1 sept looking for a cow. have put many miles on the old boots as well as the truck, so far I have seen one yearling, two cows with calves and 1 dink bull. Very slim pickings this year to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    Good luck with that, Ive been hunting the area since 1 sept looking for a cow. have put many miles on the old boots as well as the truck, so far I have seen one yearling, two cows with calves and 1 dink bull. Very slim pickings this year to say the least
    Must be the tag, I have seen cows everyday out in the field hunting, but no bulls a few years ago I couldnt buy a cow all I seen were bulls, I will not go out unless its semi reasonable weather wise, anything under 15 below and the moose are safe, unless there in my yard like the one a few years ago that walked right in m driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by rilasp12 View Post
    Seriously, you are bragging about road hunting? Wow.
    Since it is not a 300 yard shot with a rifle at 70" moose it is not the same? Give me a break. It is an awesome hunt for the facts OP stated! We have no family in town for this thanksgiving, did ours early already. So why not road hunt?! Oh yeah, and brag about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    rilasp,

It's a good opportunity to fill the freezer for the winter. It is what it is, but one of the reasons that this opportunity is provided is to reduce moose numbers around the Fairbanks roads. I'd personally rather see somebody put a moose in their freezer from taking it during a normal season than have some charity pick up a splattered road kill while another Subaru is being shipped to the salvage yard. I don't think anybody was bragging, it's just taking advantage of the opportunities.
    Ah a true hunter!

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Jerod,
    Good points. I miss the late season (november-ish) spike fork hunt that we had in the 90's in the valley.
    Wish we had this oppurtunity in the valley as well. Good luck to all the guys in FBKS who take advantage of this.
    BK
    Yeah those were the days. Obviously another true hunter.

Good luck to all the "true hunters" hunting the Fairbanks Management Area this holiday season.
    Hey rstabout, what does one have to do to be a "true hunter"?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Good luck to all the "true hunters" hunting the Fairbanks Management Area this holiday season.
    Hey rstabout, what does one have to do to be a "true hunter"?
    Well it is not about having a good a story to tell and to have a nice rack on the wall. Hunting is about filling the freezer. Being an any bull hunt, even in rifle season most of the area up there is any bull. So far out of all my buddies and family who have killed moose in AK, have all been cows! Mostly on Ft. Rich, first legal animal dies. Not about hunting the whole season for big rack. One day if we see a legal bull at the right time, no matter on size, will die. Those two posters above I quoted understand that, and more obviously. No reason not to brag out it. Meat is meat. Not always a road hunt, we sit sometimes at our usual spots and hike into others in the FMA hunt.

care to share where you are seeing all these cows because I sure arent seeing them.

Quote Originally Posted by wiso_67 View Post
    Must be the tag, I have seen cows everyday out in the field hunting, but no bulls a few years ago I couldnt buy a cow all I seen were bulls, I will not go out unless its semi reasonable weather wise, anything under 15 below and the moose are safe, unless there in my yard like the one a few years ago that walked right in m driveway.

Jerod, where was I attacking the hunt? I hunt the FMA every year, both in September and in November. It is indeed an opportunity to reduce moose numbers. I am just a bit surprised that someone is bragging about their road-hunting prowess.

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    care to share where you are seeing all these cows because I sure arent seeing them.
    Off goldstream road and the dyke road by the wainwright range boundary

rilasp,

Your post was fairly vague, so I didn't know if you understood the aspect of this hunt or not. I didn't see a problem with HuntAK's thread, and I'm not the type to call people out on their techniques. If he wants to cruise around in his truck to look for moose, then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Well it is not about having a good a story to tell and to have a nice rack on the wall.
    OK, thanks for explaining that. Now just so I'm clear..............going on the above definition, your bou hunt with stranger last month or so would NOT be a true hunt because you had a story to tell and I believe at least one of you had a rack to take back and keep. Is that correct?
    I'm taking notes so in the future I can also be a true hunter!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

road hunting is fine, in my evey to a point, driving up and down the road looking for a moose, I wouldn't do that personally because I can hike farther than most people care to go on 4 wheelers, but if I'm driving out to the spot I'm gonna start walkin, and I see a moose, I have no problen shooting that moose (assuming it is pubic land and all that jazz), unless there was some old lady waking her dog on the same road or something....then I might not, cause tha'd be wierd. hunting is hunting, at least he is doing it. I don't know anything about this hunt or fairbanks or the original poster, but I would imagine that most moose that get hit on the road live right on the road so taking those out would be of service, since that is what the hunt is about, from what I understand.

Maybe cause I've always been poor I have a bit of a scavenger attitude, but I would gladly shoot a moose in our field, out my bedroom window (I almost did, but it was a 3X3 and that one point looked just a tad longer than it was wide) or shooting one that I found along side the road, but if I saw one a mile off the road you bet your bottom dollar I'd tryta get it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast