Thread: Hillsound Trail Crampons

Default Hillsound Trail Crampons

Just wanted to thank AK Lanche, StiD and Lujon for putting me on to the Hillsound Trail Crampons. These things are awsome, like going from a Dodge Neon with bald tires to Jeep Rubicon with 35" muds with 6" spikes!! Been using the Hillsounds out and about small game hunting and trapping, absolutely no additional weight and just total confidence in all hiking conditions and steep inclines. The best $60 I have spent in a long time and everyone I have hunted or trapped with has ordered a set; seeing me just strolling up muddy/snowy inclines whilst they were on all fours trying to get grip pretty much convinced them!!

Did you get the Pro version, or the less expensive one? If the later, how did the rubber strapping hold up? I have a pair of Kahtoola spikes that I really like, but the heel tends to roll.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I honestly was not impressed with the rubber straps on the hillsound crampons as they didn't hold up for me on a recent goat hunt. I am 6' 1" and 235 lbs and on the steep terrain they didn't make it. Might of had something to do with the sh&*^ty boots I had on, not sure. I think I will go will a semi-auto set for my new Asolo's. The hillsounds worked great for Alaska_lanche on the hunt so it could have just been me. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    I honestly was not impressed with the rubber straps on the hillsound crampons as they didn't hold up for me on a recent goat hunt.
    The one thing I found that I don't like about crampons is when they roll or come off the sole of the shoe. The simple little rubber slip one cleats to get you out to your car in the morning tend to stay on for a couple of minutes, but don't try to go very far in them. The *best* ones I have used have a plastic brace on the heel to prevent "roll".
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Quote Originally Posted by slickwilly30 View Post
    I honestly was not impressed with the rubber straps on the hillsound crampons as they didn't hold up for me on a recent goat hunt. I am 6' 1" and 235 lbs and on the steep terrain they didn't make it. Might of had something to do with the sh&*^ty boots I had on, not sure. I think I will go will a semi-auto set for my new Asolo's. The hillsounds worked great for Alaska_lanche on the hunt so it could have just been me. Just my .02.
    I have a pair of Lowa mountain boots with berghaus yeti gaiters over the top, then the crampons are on top of those. So plenty for the rubber top hold on to. Have not had a single problem with them. Yesterday I was hanging off a rope, over a deep lake, with just the Hillsounds locked onto the snowy hillside; just to check some traps in an otter den. Felt 100% confident in the Hillsounds.

Just to add, if you want the ultimate gaiters for snow, try and find some Berghaus Yeti Gaiters. They were all the rage when I was in the UK military and are outstanding snow gaiters as the cover the whole boot (rubber rand goes around boot sole and seals). Can usually be found for little money on Ebay UK.