Thread: Wirehaired Griffon

Default Wirehaired Griffon

Last October I had to put my German Wirehaired Pointer down after 14 years of faithful service. I went pheasant hunting in SD this year without a dog. While I had fun, it was not the same and I doubt I will ever go bird hunting again without a good dog. After some research I have determined I want to try a Wirehaired Griffon. Does anyone have any experience with this breed? Are there any breeders in Alaska? Thanks in advance for any information.

Scott

If I'm not mistaken, fullkurl has an extensive knowledge of the breed. Might be worth sending him a PM if he doesn't chime in.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Thanks Mike.

Scott, we've had our griffs for years. Fabulous dogs in every way in my biased opinion. I'll PM you my contact info and will share what I can.

Proud to be an American!

They sure are a fun loving dog! Pretty cool to look at, too.

Jim

I adopted a year and ahalf old Griffon about two years ago. I think they are a great breed! They are very biddable, fun loving, happy go lucky and great versatile hunters.
    Ember had no exposure to birds or any training for her first year and a half. She has picked it up very well.
    She does not have the drive that I think she may have had if she were started younger, but she handles birds very well (pointing and retrieving). Her nose is exceptional.
    She is very happy to play with our mini dachshunds when hanging out in the house.
    I do not know of any breeders in AK...maybe Fullcurl does...
    You can see pictures of her in my photo albums ...

PM sent....

Our male griff Alf turned 10 years old recently and we had a birthday party for him last night.
    Most of the entire neighborhood was here for the event. He showed off and had a great time.
    Proud to be an American!

Happy belated Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Alf!

Jim

Turns out they make pretty good flight dogs too. By the way Logan (The Griff in the picture) is one of Fullkurl's pups. I can say nothing but good things about Griffys, excellent temperament, great all weather dogs. Easy to train, easy to live with great around other dogs/kids, and most importantly a superb bird dog. My folks witch are die hard German Shorthair fans like my Griffy so much that they rescued one from a shelter. She has a few issues but she is working through them amazingly fast. If you can find one latch on and hang on for a great ride.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by byrd_hntr View Post

Turns out they make pretty good flight dogs too. By the way Logan (The Griff in the picture) is one of Fullkurl's pups. I can say nothing but good things about Griffys, excellent temperament, great all weather dogs. Easy to train, easy to live with great around other dogs/kids, and most importantly a superb bird dog. My folks witch are die hard German Shorthair fans like my Griffy so much that they rescued one from a shelter. She has a few issues but she is working through them amazingly fast. If you can find one latch on and hang on for a great ride.
    Logan looks fantastic...great to hear he is doing so well. No doubt he and your shorthair make quite the pair together!
    Proud to be an American!

Love this breed! I own a GWP though hehe.