Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fox Theif(s)

Default Fox Theif(s)

Just ran my line, Picked up another cross fox, but also noticed that a snowmachine and 2 atvs have been following my whole line.. the guy on the sled I think is making bunny snares and is putting up flagging like its on sale at walmart.. Dont mind him.. except the fact he drives into clearly noticable dead ends.. and does a u turn as do I..Why is he following my trail? checking my sets....I suspected this same guy last year too..

I caught a cross fox in a leg hold opening day.. I reset it in the catch ring, wired it to the same tree.. and this afternoon noticed the 2 atv tracks.. one set is ITP, the other looks like a narrow wheel base, like a garden tractor tire.. But I sure its a old beat up quad.... anyway, rounded the corner, big old catch ring, no dog.. no trap.. 2 sets of foot prints.. maybe size 11 the other a 11 or 12.. you can see in the snow were they got off their quads, walked 10 meters off the trail, dispatched the fox I presume.. left some blood so they probably shot it with a .22 or small caliber of sort.. stole the fox, and the $35.00 number 2, 4 coil offset trap.. THE TRAP WAS WIRED to a stump, fox didnt haul it off.... was checked Sat morning.. and then again monday.. ie today.. Ive seen these tracks before, and had 3-4 fox stole last winter.. usually on weekends.. Anyway, after carrying the fox and dripping blood back to the trail, getting on their quads.. they got on their quads and headed south towards the mini butte.. turned around and seemed to shoot dozens of rounds into a tree for craps and giggles I guess..I suspect the younger generation.. due to their driving style.. dohnuts and such.. Goofing off.. etc..

I followed the snail trail they left.. seemed to follow my whole line.. making the detours I make.. so I can presume it wasn't a weekend warrior just stumbling upon my sets.. these guys are patroling the flats on quads looking to take animals from peoples catch.. Anyway I followed The tracks and they go up on the dike towards sky ranch subdivision.. Not going to tresspass to follow them to the door..

FYI.. I have 8 game cameras on selected sites.. with bait.. not for the fox.. but for the A hole(s) who are taking my catch.. If I cant catch em this way.. Ill step it up a notch and may drop a bear trap on my path.. that would suck to have a leg in one 5 miles from the house eh?

So, if you are on the flats.. People trap their.. if you notice people out of place.. mostly on the weekends.. Stop em and shoot the breeze and see whats up.. You may just save them a leg or a quad..

Happy trapping..

Have you called a trooper? You can not set a bear trap legally on land, it will be your butt in a sling, one for intent ( you posted it on the internet) 2 because the jawspread is too large. Don't be dumb, go through the proper channels.

It was a joke fisher!

PM sent HG.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Anyway I followed The tracks and they go up on the dike towards sky ranch subdivision.. Not going to tresspass to follow them to the door..
    I did this very thing once. Although I too was reluctant to cross private property in the process, in the end it was effective, and worth it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

joke or not, call the troopers, make a report. Troopers need to know about this stuff. What kind of trap was it? #2 worth $35 bucks?

HOYTGUY check your email.

Number 2 soft catch, chain cut, welded on the bottom with a swivel, 4 ' cable, swivel, dyed, waxed .. And offset added to the jaws. I say it's 35.00 easily. And work 100% of the time. Calling the troopers in a few.

I'm more of a 'round up the boys' type but the troopers could work as well!

lol, Fisherman has to steal all the fun, there are no restrictions on snare size, how wouldja like a hind tire catch on one of them? HeHe, or set a 330 kinda buried flat in snow (like a foot hold, cover it the same) with a wallet attached to the wires HAHAHA!!!!!
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I've seen these tracks down here before, pretty regularly, makes me think their locals.. I will do some investigating this weekend, it's been reported to the authorities..

I know some are kidding about trapping perpetrators, but catching someone's child in that high use area would not be good - although the troopers would certainly respond quickly then.
    Kinda like Central Park down there at times these days.
    Good Luck.

Being a trapper, and being a member of the ATA board of directors I feel I have to comment when i see posts like these. There is no reason to even joke about that. It does nothing in the long run but put non-trappers against trappers, joke or not. It really goes against our mission statement to even joke about in a public setting.

Alaska Trappers Association Mission Statement
    The Alaska Trappers Association endeavors to preserve and promote trapping through trapper education and public awareness.

I was going to post this in a PM to you hoyte, but i figure others may benefit from the info as well.

When anchoring traps, sometimes you will be surprised how they can destroy wire when they are wired solid to something. Wire works great for anchoring snares, #11 for fox and lynx, #9 for yotes wolves and wolverine. when using a pigtail at the end.

When anchoring traps, the best way to anchor is to use just cable. Preferably 1x19. Anything 3/32 or larger If you get animals that are good chewers(yote, wolverine, wolf) , go heavier.

I personally anchor all traps with 1/8th 1x19, better safe than sorry, plus anchoring cable is generally easy to hide with snow.

I have had fox break #11 if anchored tight to something, if you made it so it would swivel around the stump, that is better, but still not as good as cable.

I know you didn't ask, but thought you may want to learn a better way to anchor, because wire will fail at times.

Fishermann 222, I use 3.32 cable on all my traps.. Crimped on both ends.. by wired meaning.. I run the trap through the big loop at the end of the cabel.. pulling it tight on itself.. then covered in snow.. sifted, etc.. I dont think I have a chain on a trap.. I use 11 or 14 ga wire for snares and 1.16" cable or 3.32 cable for the noose.. Im not a rookie.. LOL, Even all my traps with drags have a 4' piece of 3/32 cable crimped on between the trap and the drag.. they cant run far with out getting tangled and its easy to hide, the hooks wont get caught in the chain, etc..

footprints leading to the site.. walking around the site, then blood.. then tracks walking back (not mine).. totally frsh snow as it snowed Sat all day, and night.. Sunday a tad in the morning..

I've caught hundreds, if not thousands of fox and NEVER had one spin off.. run off, etc..Nor left a drop of blood at the site.. the soft catch leg holds dont even leave a mark on the foot..They HOLD their foot.. not smash it.. I rarely ever even use a leg hold.. but some set locations dont provide anchoring opportinities to use a snare..

Thanks for the delightful insight fisherman222..

Thanks for clearing that up, i was going by the word "wired" you used in your post and i never saw the word "cabled". I see I can be of no help on this forum, so away I go.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermann222 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up, i was going by the word "wired" you used in your post and i never saw the word "cabled". I see I can be of no help on this forum, so away I go.
    Sorry Fisherman.. .I was trying to be sarcastic.. Hard to show over a monitor I guess..

Default Opening day Cross

Anyway.. here is a cross I picked up the first day.. had a leg hold with a drag at a X in a trail where they were running and jumping up on a river bank.. next day this guy was tangled 10 feet away.. I made a dirt hole set in his catch circle to the tree this guy was hung up on..Worked like a champ.. just would I would have gotten to it before the theives did.... Ohh well eh?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cross Fox 11-10-11.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	55078

Beautiful fox! Man...I'd love to get just one fox like that, let alone consistent success over the years. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your animal and trap, but congrats on the success you have found.

Default Silver (99%)

Brian, Funny you mention that.. I been fox trapping since I was a kid.. where ever the Army send me, I start over and figure it out.. I never caught a cross until last season new years morning.. I was stoked.. this year Im 2 for 2.. makes me wonder what was in that trap eh? Considering I sell crosses for 275.00//

Here is a Silver/Cross, Pretty much a silver, but has a couple orange highlights.. So I call it a cross// LOL picked up yesterday in a snare.. He was a tad froze and ratty.. I thawed him out skinned and here are a couple pics attached.

.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver Fox 11-14-11.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	55080Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Silver face 11-14-11.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	55079

That sucks having bandits on your trap line. I hope they get caught in the act.

Great looking fox. I shot a free running silver on my trap line years ago, but it ended up with a pretty nasty exit wound. I was hoping to full body mount it, but the taxidermist said it wouldn't come out right, so I opted to mount one of my cross fox. Sure would like to get another silver, but they have eluded me since then.

I've never sold hides, but am surprised at $275 per cross. I've got a dozen of them tanned and in a tub. Am I sitting on some coin there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast