Thread: Hows Petersville

Default Hows Petersville

Anyone riding up there yet. Is it worth the trip?

I hear the powder is good about 25 miles back but totally baseless. Saw a couple videos that made it look good, but the two hour drive ER, 50 miles of bumpy trail, and no one to go with leaves me at home watching videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I hear the powder is good about 25 miles back but totally baseless. Saw a couple videos that made it look good, but the two hour drive ER, 50 miles of bumpy trail, and no one to go with leaves me at home watching videos.
    Basically the same info I got from my BIL after he got back this weekend.

The swamps closer in to the parking areas don't have a lot of snow yet. Worse, the creeks aren't filled in and the ice is still pretty thin. This cold weather will help with the ice, but another good dump is needed before it will be fun. It's ridable if you need to get to a cabin, but you'll probably break something if you go tearing around.

here's a couple vids i made this year, snow's ok back in the dutch hills, wouldn't even bother messin around too much down low right now though, wait till we get a lil more snow

i went back out there the other day and way back up high in the mountains it was windblown but past the canyon and b4 the bigger mountains it was pretty decent... glad we're gettin all this cold weather though gonna help freeze everything up a little better oh yea first vid the angle is all crazy on my gopro so its pointing down pretty hard lol so sorry bout that i have a couple pics up in the riding pics pinned thread also...

I rode back to the hills Sunday. Yeah, the road from Kroto to the bridge past Petersville is really rough. But once you get into the hills, it was decent. The farther back we went the better it was. I sure am sore today though. That road sucked....

The key to that trail is to get your throttle blipping in tune with the rest of the throttle blippers. If you get out of sync it is substantially worse! Proper throttle blipping is a key skill for mountain riding!

Thanks guys. May wait few weeks. It's kind of a long drive for a 50 mile bumpy trail.

Last weekend wasn't too shabby. 3ft of powder could be found here and there. No base. Pville road was ****ty at best. Dutch Hills is getting windblown. Passed atleast 30 riders.

I'd hold off for more snow.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

That was last weekend. Through the week we got HAMMERED with wind. I don't have any firsthand reports, but I bet P-Ville is windblown all to hell now.

Was there yesterday....the trail was rough. You could find pockets of powder, but not too many...still baseless. Be careful on the flat areas off the trail....there's a lot of hard snow that like to grab your skis and pull them down. I don't know how many times yesterday that my bars were ripped either direction b/c of that...

Default pville conditions

I was there yesterday, the trail to the peter hills is horrible. There is a few swamps to cut distance off the trail but very hard to find without knowing the way. There is deeper snow towards the mountains but has settled a lot and most powder has blown away. I suggest scratchers to be used on the trail, there were lots of sleds overheating. It might not be the best conditions but at least we can all get out and work out the kinks a little earlier this year! I'm sure the Kenny Creek and the Roadhouse could use some company as well!

Snow should be good up there now we are getting hammered again and it was Dark clouds up that way all day today
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    The key to that trail is to get your throttle blipping in tune with the rest of the throttle blippers. If you get out of sync it is substantially worse! Proper throttle blipping is a key skill for mountain riding!

I just gunned it and held on... Seemed to work...

We rode mile point 131 on Saturday. The trail wasn't broke in yet so we had to poke around a lot to find it. Not much snow. 2-3 feet in the fields, very little in the woods. We made it to the Tokositna crossing and turned around.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

just got a report 3 feet of powder on top of a nice crust. Alders not completly covered yet but getting there
    He who don't float. Don't follow the ARGO!

The powder 23 miles back in is great! Had a blast out there friday as we got to blaze fresh powder everywhere. Now the ride in and out kicks the daylights out of you. The trail is nothing but moguls 25 miles each way. Bring a kidney belt , lots of Aleve and leave early. I'm still feeling the trail from friday.

Swamps aren't frozen, stay away from creeks/lakes. Nice wet powder on top though...