Thread: 7mm STW Vs. 7mm Mag

Default 7mm STW Vs. 7mm Mag

Those of you that have shot both the 7mm mag and the 7mm STW what are your thoughts on comparing the two? I have owned and shot both and will post my thoughts later when I have more time.

Of the 2, I prefer the 7mm RM it has a longer barrel life and is built on a standard length action and has less felt recoil plus has a wider range of factory loaded ammo. The STW's claim to fame is flatter trajectory.

My large game hunting is now done inside the 400 yd mark, negateing much of the STW's advertised improvement.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

7 mm mag hans down. Imo its just to light of a round to take down much past 450yd so why destroy your shoulder for a flatter shooting round. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my Behold II using Tapatalk

The only downside for the STW is that it is a longer cartridge. Everything the 7mm RM does the STW does better. Increased recoil? Not enough to notice over it's smaller cousin. If you work around the OAL, I'll take the STW every time. I'm not uncomfortable hunting with my STW for any animal in AK.
    Esse quam videri

I don't have any use for the implied extra range of the STW. It looks good on paper, but in the field I don't feel justified in shooting any further with it than the 7 mag. I've made 400+ yard kills with both, and am not inclined for 500+ with either. Any extra "power" from the STW is impied too, as it's just not enough to make it do anything more than the standard 7 can do. The extra vel of the STW certainly doesn't justify the loss in barrel life and increase in shooting costs in my book. I happily traded mine off after replacing the first shot out barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I don't have any use for the implied extra range of the STW. It looks good on paper, but in the field I don't feel justified in shooting any further with it than the 7 mag. I've made 400+ yard kills with both, and am not inclined for 500+ with either. Any extra "power" from the STW is impied too, as it's just not enough to make it do anything more than the standard 7 can do. The extra vel of the STW certainly doesn't justify the loss in barrel life and increase in shooting costs in my book. I happily traded mine off after replacing the first shot out barrel.
    Neither of them do anymore than a 7mm-08, they just do it faster. The main advantage to me is less wind drift. Drop is easy to establish and it remains consistent--wind drift is altogether different and gains of a few inches make a real impact--no pun intended--at longer ranges. FWIW, LR for one shooter may or may not be LR for another. In most instances I'd rather go 280AI than 7mm RM as I can trade substantial rifle weight for the same recoil. If I'm going magnum, I want to mean it... A bullet with a b.c. north of .600 combined with a velocity of 3300+ fps has to be seen to be believed.
    Esse quam videri

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    In most instances I'd rather go 280AI than 7mm RM as I can trade substantial rifle weight for the same recoil.
    Now you're talking. I'm a fan of the .284 bore, but the ballistics of the 7mm Rem Mag are about as far as I think it's worth pushing, whichever case is used to get there. To do more and further, I'm hogging out the bore.

I own two 7mm Rem. Mags at this time. A mod. 70 Winchester and a TC Encore and love both of them. I purchased a 7mm STW in a Savage and played with it for a while. I could not see a big advantage in the STW so it has a new home. I also have killed game at 400 yards with the 7mm Rem.Mag and consider this to be my limit. I am not against the STW just don't see much of a advantage.