Thread: Kodiak bucks, chryptorchids, and foxes

Default Kodiak bucks, chryptorchids, and foxes

Myself and hunting partner John went down on the 28th of Oct. a day later than originally scheduled because of wind. We were scheduled for 6 days but stayed 8 due to more wind. We took my ak series raft and outboard however we did not get much opportunity to use it more wind. Did I mention the wind blew. The wind blew but we only donned raingear for parts of two days so I call that a great Kodiak trip when talking about weather. We were down where the chryptorchids are unusually common and half of the (7 bucks harvested Proxy in hand)were without danglers. None showed the real strange antler formations I have seen on other trips, and two were sniffing around a doe then harvested to reveal no lower units. I took the largest Buck I have taken of probably 40 or more over the years. I am still waiting for that perfect 5x5, but he is very wide, heavy, and palmated as well as huge bodied.

John had not taken blacktails before and took a real nice 4x4 buck.

We saw a lot more young deer than older mature bucks in fact only one older buck we saw eluded us. I was shooting my ruger compact in .308 with 165 Gr. trophy tips which are a new bullet for me. Recovered one from a buck after it had went through his neck and full length of his body and was very impressed with the bullet performance.

I also took my new ruger model 96 in 22 mag for foxes and we were each able to take a fox with it using 50 gr. hollow points. Mine was a really cool colored big male cross, and Johns was a red female. The 22 mag proved to be great for this size critter as I have always shot them before with .308 FMJ's.

I shot a buck on the same patch of fern that I shot one some 12 to 15 yrs. ago the last time I hunted this location which was kind of a cool flashback as I knelt down under the same alder for a rest.

We cooked and camped in my 8 man guide model with big vestibule and slept in the Trango 4, might have been a little overkill for 2 guys but it made for a comfy camp. I picked this drop off because of the excellent sheltered camp spot so the wind was never an issue for the tents.

Rolan and family at Seahawk as always performed their job flawlessly.

Excellent story! nice bucks guys **** you got me all jealous, all my buddies just landed in kodiak for a 6 day hunt! I love the last pic with the raft and just a little mud puddle and the fence lol pretty funny......sounds like you had an excellent trip regardless of wind and some great animals to boot!...good job!

Release Lake Trout

Those deer are alway much fatter than the deer we get here.Congrats and thanks for the story
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nice pics of a great trip. Thanks for sharing.

Great pics and great looking deer! Its good to hear you were not rained out as well as blown out down there. Love that cross fox you got!

Nice Bob!! Great report sir!! Sorry it didn't work out to catch up with ya. Yeah it was a bit breezy over in our neck of the woods as well. Looks like you guys whacked and stacked for sure. Livin' large in the 8 man and trango 4. Gotta love that.

Thanks for sharing and congrats on some palmated beauties.

great write up & deer Bob......nothing better!!

Great trip. Congrats on the animals and the memories.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Here are a few more pics.

I like how you can see the tent in this one, you can't pass a spike when he walks by the tent on a weathered in day. This was the first time I butchered a deer into a tote.

Great pictures and write-up. The deer all look like they are big bodies. What type of bear fence are you using? Are you happy with them?
    Thanks!

That was a fun story, greatly aided by the photos. When younger, I was told over and over again just how small blacktails were. I'm thinking one of those is more than I care to pack by myself. Maybe the little guy is more my size.
    Thanks for sharing, glad the trip worked out so well,
    ARR

Great Report and Pics of a Great Trip,

Wow, those are some nice bucks,
    and the protected campsite setup,.... Professional !!
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Nice looking bucks there ! Thanks for sharing the trip with us !

Thanks everyone. I did not mention we took two capes and I am having the big one mounted after I put the antlers back together.
    Rod 123 one charger is a fi-shok from ak mill and feed 2 D batteries, the other is a zareba yellow jacket, both last a long time on a set of batteries but the fi shok always tests @ 5500 volts and the Zareba at 5000 volts. If I replaced one I guess I would go with the cheap fi-shok that uses half the batteries and works just as well.

Those are some big bodied bucks, Bob. Great pics and hunt account.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

good report bob.....wish i was there......
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Looks like ya had a great time! Im heading to Kodiak on December 3rd for 7 days for the late season and you got me anxious as ever!

Man looks like a good time

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Congrats on a wonderful trip.
    Semper Fi and God Bless