Thread: Charts for PWS

Default Charts for PWS

I would like to find/purchase navigational charts for Prince William Sound. Does anyone on this forum have any suggestions? Thank you. TF3

they are available on-line for free. You can print them out and make your own booklet if you want. I posted a link to the website about a year ago here. Do a search and you'll find it (I didn't save it to my favs or would post it).

On a related topic, has anyone had any experience with the Garmin G2 Vision cards for their Chartplotter/sounders? Is the bathymetric imagery worth the hefty price tag?

I bought a few charts through West Marine, they are the standard NOAA charts but printed on good paper with some extra color added in. They also have some updated information on them when they are printed. They were expensive but I wanted a nice set of charts to keep on the boat.

I have also downloaded the charts straight from NOAA and used a larger format printer at work to print out some sections of those charts to get a better look. What I want to do next is do individual sections of charts and put them in a book. I will probably do some of my favorite coves, anchorages and passages.

On the subject of the Garmin G2 stuff, I have no idea. I think my plotter came with the G2 stuff pre-loaded and if that is the case then they seem good. I navigated into several small coves and passages using the data off the plotter and looking at my cruising guide to PWS and it all seemed to match. When the guide told me where to enter the map showed the same thing.

To add another questions to this thread, does anyone know a place to get full size NOAA charts laminated?
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I noticed you're up in Fairbanks, they may have a map store at UAF like they have down here at UAA or look online.

Boreal- I had the G2 on my old boat, it was good and I'd say worth having. Now I never used the fish eye view, but the satellite images on the plotter was worth the money to me.

JR2- I had my maps done up at the fedex store on northern lights. It wasn't cheap if I remember right, other people I know got some kind of liquid laminate from REI or Sportsmans.
    In 2011, the United States military finally starts to enforce the no sodomy rule...

I got the g2 upgrade chip for my garmin (596S I think)...it has better/more detailed bathyrythmic lines but I haven't really seen any use in the 3D stuff - maybe I don't know how to use it or was expecting something different - I don't get any underwater 3D like I thought I should...it is all above the water and not very useful.

The depth lines are more defined and that helped me to identify why I was catching shrimp in some areas and not others....more shrimp = worth it....to me.

[The depth lines are more defined and that helped me to identify why I was catching shrimp in some areas and not others....more shrimp = worth it....to me.[/QUOTE]

This is what I was wondering about, do the better bathymetric data help to find those spots? I know there are some rockpiles and reefs that are way off on the NOAA charts and the basic bathymetric data on some chartplotters. Sounds like the more updated G2 data make it easier to find those spots.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    On a related topic, has anyone had any experience with the Garmin G2 Vision cards for their Chartplotter/sounders? Is the bathymetric imagery worth the hefty price tag?
    The G2 charts for the sound are great. They have a fishing chart mode that has much more detail than the navigational chart. If you search here I posted some examples of the differences in lower PWS sometime in the last year that showed the differences. I think it is well worth the money.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

sailvector.com has paper charts you can print out.

Don't reinvent the wheel (chart) by laminating a full-sized monster chart. These charts are able to be printed out and I put mine in a 3-ring binder and tab each section for easy reference. They are also able to be stored on your computer or tablet as a pdf and you can zoom or pan as needed. Best of all?!? They're free!

http://www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/s...kletChart.html

I've heard the best way to protect your maps is to spray them with camp-dry. I haven't tried it yet, but a charter buddy of mine says it works great.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859