Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Project - First 45 Brass Flinger....

Default Winter Project - First 45 Brass Flinger....

I picked this up last week. First auto besides my Colt MatchTarget Woodsman. I'd been looking at one of these before the SR1911 was announced. After it was announced I thought maybe I'd go that route. But, what I really wanted (at least this time) was a CCW packable 45, made in the USA that fit my hand for about 500 bucks. I picked this one up NIB locally at a non-box store business for $504. I'll still end up with a 1911 of some flavor at some point. Preferably a Colt to compliment the Woodsman.

I still haven't shot it, got my dies this weekend and loaded up some of these 200gr swc's I casted up. 5.5, 6.0 and 6.5 gr Unique for starters. I think I'll try some W231. I hear that's a pretty good 45 acp powder. Maybe I can slip out to the range during lunch tomorrow to at least hear it bark.

Congrats, nice CCW gun. Brass slinger is right though, 10mm goes about a mile I think. I find myself wondering where the brass to feed my press is going as much as the lead sometimes. Then I obsess over the empty holes in the ammo box when I canít find some, tends to take some of the fun out of autos for me . . . good thing they come pre-packed with extra fun!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Congrats, nice CCW gun. Brass slinger is right though, 10mm goes about a mile I think. I find myself wondering where the brass to feed my press is going as much as the lead sometimes. Then I obsess over the empty holes in the ammo box when I canít find some, tends to take some of the fun out of autos for me . . . good thing they come pre-packed with extra fun!
    I've considered laying out a large tarp to stand on while shooting so that it's easy to find the brass. My private range is covered in pea gravel, which you would think would be easy to find cases on. But I've spent as much as 15 mins. looking for that last 9mm case.

Congrats Snyd on the new pistol. I'll be interested to hear your range reports as that gun has gotten some mixed reviews from what I've seen. I keep hearing rumor that Ruger will drop it soon for an SR45 model.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I've considered laying out a large tarp to stand on while shooting so that it's easy to find the brass. My private range is covered in pea gravel, which you would think would be easy to find cases on. But I've spent as much as 15 mins. looking for that last 9mm case.

Congrats Snyd on the new pistol. I'll be interested to hear your range reports as that gun has gotten some mixed reviews from what I've seen. I keep hearing rumor that Ruger will drop it soon for an SR45 model.
    I may try the tarp thing at some point as well. The only "issue" that I could find is that this gun has a mag disconnect safety (pros and cons I guess) but the main thing is that the gun is not supposed to be dry fired without a mag in it. It's possible to damage the firing pin somehow and can result in intermittent FTF. Owners manual says don't do it. Insert a mag before dry firing. Some guys are disabling this "feature" I hear. Not sure if I will or not. I guess there is an "issue" with Kimbers as well. Something about the process of teardown and putting it back together properly that can end up causing a problem, FTF, if not done correctly. I don't really see these as problems, I figure a guy should be able to follow manufacturer instructions. I'll keep track of round count and loads and see how it does. Supposedly it's not picky about ammo.

Sweet little pistol there Snyd! The wheel guns sure do have an advantage of keeping track of your brass for you, but the auto's are to me just a bit more fun to play with at the range. I am nost so sure the tarp thing would work for me. I swear my 6.8SPC AR15 occasionally launches a piece of brass at least 150'. No I have never seen one go that far, that is just about the distance we called off the search during the last range trip. Sure adds frustration when it is hard to get brass. In order to get the 6.8 brass I had to have it shipped to my folks in the lower 48 then repacked into flat rate boxes and shipped up to me.

Don't know if you've shot Unique powder lately. It used to be my go to powder. They've improved it over the years, but it is still a pretty dirty powder. For 38sp or 357 Mag in a wheel gun, it was accurate and the "dirty factor" wasn't a big deal. After I tried Win231 I stopped buying Unique. Unique was way too dirty in my semi-autos. I found the "white-box" Winchester ammo was very clean and tried W231 to replicate those loads. It meters very well and gives me the same clean burning shooting as the factory ammo. Works well in 9mm, 40 and 45ACP.
    Enjoy the new toy!

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Don't know if you've shot Unique powder lately. It used to be my go to powder. They've improved it over the years, but it is still a pretty dirty powder. For 38sp or 357 Mag in a wheel gun, it was accurate and the "dirty factor" wasn't a big deal. After I tried Win231 I stopped buying Unique. Unique was way too dirty in my semi-autos. I found the "white-box" Winchester ammo was very clean and tried W231 to replicate those loads. It meters very well and gives me the same clean burning shooting as the factory ammo. Works well in 9mm, 40 and 45ACP.
    Enjoy the new toy!
    Thanks for the info on 231. Ya, I shoot lots of Unique in my 45 Colt and 454 plinkin loads, 38 as well. Since I have some that's what I started with. I"ll get some 231.

Yes the tarp works and I have used it, works even better if you tie half of it hanging from a tree then draped down to the ground. What I use now is a 4í dip net hoop with window screen netting standing next to me on 2X4 tripod legs, that works about 99% for target type shooting.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Oh, and I welcome any tips regarding loading 45 acp. At this point I'll only be loading these 200gr swc's. Probably get a 230ish gr HP mould next. Thanks guys.

I also find Unique to fire dirty, as does Power Pistol. My go to powder for semis is Blue Dot. Tends to burn cleaner and I find it a bit more adaptable (low to high loads). Only differnce is for heavy 10mm I use IMR 800X with good results, but it has to be hand measured as it meters really bad.

I played with SR 7625 in medium 10mm loads, and it burns fairly clean. It leaves a black dusty residue, but nothing really nasty. It looks like the Speer manual shows it for 45 w/ lead 200grainers. Not sure how it would do at the lower pressures.

Bullseye works well and is economical, kind of the old standbye. Don't remember it being dirty, but it has been quite a while.

Looks like a fun setup!

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    The only "issue" that I could find is that this gun has a mag disconnect safety (pros and cons I guess) but the main thing is that the gun is not supposed to be dry fired without a mag in it. It's possible to damage the firing pin somehow and can result in intermittent FTF. Owners manual says don't do it.
    Snyd, you can get some snap caps, load the mag, and then you can practice without "dry" firing. Below is the link...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/588...r-package-of-5

MyTime

Last thing...Congrats on getting a new pistol! It kinda brightens the day a bit,doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by MyTime View Post
    Snyd, you can get some snap caps, load the mag, and then you can practice without "dry" firing. Below is the link...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/588...r-package-of-5

MyTime

Last thing...Congrats on getting a new pistol! It kinda brightens the day a bit,doesn't it?

Thanks for the heads up. The gun CAN be dry fired with a magazine in the gun. But, if there is no magazine then the firing pin hits the Mag Disconnect Safety and if done enough can damage it to the point where the gun will think there is no mag inserted when in fact there is. The result can be "Click No Bang". The "fix" is to follow the owners manual and NOT dry fire the gun unless a mag is installed. Or, pull the rear sight off and "clean it"Ö http://rugerforum.net/gunsmithing/59...nnect-how.html

Snyd,

Yes, occasionally it DOES make sense to read the owner's manual but don't tell any females you did that; they'll expect all of us guys to have that much sense! LOL

MyTime

Snyd,

The load I like for my 45 is: 200 grain JHP, Unique=7.1 grains. The wife doesn't like that load from the compact 45 but is OK with it on a full size. For the compact I use the following: 200 grain JHP, HS6=8.6 grains.

This seems to work well for me. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    Enjoy the new toy!
    +1000 on this!
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Snyd,

Congratulations on the new pistol. I'm hoping to pick up the new SR1911 eventually too, but for now, the newness still has production lagging demand. I load a 200 gr LSWC for 3 of my 1911's. Use Missouri cast bullets with just a little bit of the shoulder sticking out of the top of the brass and a taper crimp (I think COL is 1.25, but would have to double check). I use mixed range brass and do not bother to sort it for plinking/fun shooting loads. Lots of good powders out there for the 45 acp. My go to economical, clean burning, and accurate powder is Hodgdon Titegroup. My 200 gr LSWC load is about 4 gr up to 4.5 gr. Both are very accurate in all 3 pistols, but the 4.5 gr load leaves a little leading so I just been sticking with about 4 gr. Good thing about Titegroup is it is not position sensitive with light charges in larger cases. I even worked up a good target load for my Redhawks using this powder and 240 gr LSWC Keith bullet. Have fun with the new pistol!

I just double checked. My bullet is Missouri Bullet Co IDP #1, and COL that works in my 1911's is 1.250, and 4 gr Titegroup. Didn't want to put out bad information from my previous post.

Thanks for all the input guys. 35 below here now, still haven't made it to the range. I think I'll get some 231 or titegroup and load up some more for when I do make it.

I've never loaded 45 acp before, but I used this guide to set my oal. Mine look like number 3. Taper crimped to .470 at case mouth. I slugged the bore and it's .451, boolits are sized to .452. In my "dry land" testing they cycle fine. Any advice before I pull the trigger?

I started loading 45s with Unique about 40years ago and it was showing pressure with anything over 6grs with 200swc. The books all said you could go more but it didn't work for me. I've use lots of B'eye for light to mid loads and it's good. I switched to W230 until I couldn't get it anymore then went to W231. Both work very well. My favorite now is Universal clays as it gives me over 900 fps with a 230gr without pressure signs and meters well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast