Thread: KPenn Brown Bear

Default KPenn Brown Bear

So I'm having a beer and a burger at the local watering hole the other night and a fellow sitting a couple stools down from me asked if I had had heard about the registration hunt for brownies next year. I hadn't so i said no, and he goes on to say that there will be a registration hunt for the fall 2012 season in unit 15 for 100 bears. Now, everyone I know will rejoice at the news, but I can't find any information to confirm or dispel this bar room gossip. Anyone else have anything on this?

I work pretty closely with several agencies and i've not heard that, can't say for sure but I find it highly doubtfull. Perhaps he was talking about the subsistence hunt for Ninilchik area residents? Thats been going on for years but rarely gets utilized.

That is probably the dream of many people. Problem is I put in a proposal for half that number of bears to get harvested during the unit 15 BOG cycle last spring and it got shot down because Fish and Game from the KP couldn't produce any numbers of how many bears where on the KP to manage by.

I've heard there's been an effort to get a serious brown bear hunt going, but doubt it will get approved due to lack of an accurate population estimate. The refuge bear study results aren't supposed to come out until next summer, so hopefully they will come up with lot's of bears otherwise it will probably continue with the status quo of limited draw hunt opportunities.

Something's in the works, but I'm not sure what. I'll post what I find out, probably will be tied into the KP pred control plan…
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/