Thread: Predator Calling

Default Predator Calling

Do you use a snowmachine to get to your location or snowshoes?

I went out on foot for the first time today and did some calling. My snowmachine needs some work before I trust it to go very far. It was fun even though I didn't see any predators. I did manage to call in some camp robbers and a couple of ravens. I thought the camp robbers were going to attack my decoy so I was ready to DLP them if needed. Hopefully things will get better as the season goes on.

I go on foot (or have thus far), but I know at least a couple of reasonable successful members utilize a snowmachine to cover ground more efficiently. I like the peace and quiet of moving through the woods on foot, but there's something to be said for covering ground. I'm going to try out skis this year, though, as I'll be far quicker than snowshoes or boots while being able to make a few turns while I'm at it.

If using a machine. I would ride to within a few hundred yards of my setup and then walk the rest of the way. Or you could ride all the way in but I would let the woods "settle down" before starting a calling sequence.
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

Quote Originally Posted by forgotvirginia View Post
    If using a machine. I would ride to within a few hundred yards of my setup and then walk the rest of the way. Or you could ride all the way in but I would let the woods "settle down" before starting a calling sequence.
    A couple hundred yards? Now this flies in the face of the modern "I should be able to drive my ATV to within 50 yards of any game animal in AK before harvesting it" mentality! Once I get the water/ice in fuel issues fully solved on my old cat then I plan on using it for pred hunting. Just picked up a hitch for it and will be mounting up a gun boot on the rack as well as trying to fit it with some plastic ski's. I like to hike but I can't cover near the country on foot that I can on the sled.

I usually commute about 40 miles of main trail and then slowly ride small ungroomed trails at a low speed. I look for lot's of tracks and stop when I've found them. I then hike about a half mile off trail and set up shop in the center of clearings inside of a patch of brush. I then snip off branches to create more firing opportunities, but not so much as to compromise the concealment of my cover. Don't use plastic snowshoes.....too loud.

I run the machine to a good looking spot to stop and stash it, usually in some snowy spruce or willows. Jump off machine and try not to go more than 100 yards to setup and start calling. Face it, if there's a predator around within 1/4 mile, they heard that machine, so no need to waste time post-holing a long distance. Their hearing is exceptional, but they aren't the sharpest critters (meaning they don't always associate a machine sound with a distressed critter type sound). Anyways...park machine, walk less than 100 yards, put out e-caller, walk back behind e-caller 20-40 yards, clear spot to sit and start calling. Fifteen minutes later, either a predator is shot at and missed/killed, or I'm packing up shop and hitting the next stand. Now here's the caveat to the parking machine. If I'm in rolling hill country, I'll try to come up the back of a hill and use that hill to block the noise. Park machine below crest of the hill and then hike over the top and down the other side to set up a stand. Either way, I'm playing the numbers game and hustling to the next stand.

I plan on using the snowmachine to get away from the roads and further out. I just need to have the carbs cleaned/rebuilt on my skidoo before I trust it to go out hunting. It runs good ounce you get it started but its the starting part I don't like. My son keeps telling me to just use his 800 but I think it would be to loud.

Anyway the walking this weekend did me some good I'm sure. I didn't see many tracks but I did see a couple sets of fox tracks. So the battle will continue with the predators. Their has to be at least one dumb/stupid predator out there somewhere for me.

I used a 800 summit that had a mbrp can on it that if you were on the throttle echoed through the woods like no ones business and I was still successful.

If I don't get mine fixed I may try using my sons