Thread: Question for the kid

Default Question for the kid

My plan get a rem 700 adl in a 7 mm-08 and get it rechambered to a 284 Winchester. I understand the factory mag box will limit the bullet selection. Anyhow do you have the reamer? Shouldn't take much besides some rail work to get it to feed right. For others already have to 7mm-08, I have a ton of 284 brass so why not...

Quote Originally Posted by 323 View Post
    My plan get a rem 700 adl in a 7 mm-08 and get it rechambered to a 284 Winchester. I understand the factory mag box will limit the bullet selection. Anyhow do you have the reamer? Shouldn't take much besides some rail work to get it to feed right. For others already have to 7mm-08, I have a ton of 284 brass so why not...
    I've been considering thr same conversion, good luck.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

you don't need to modify the feed rails. I didn't with the same conversion and it feeds fine. you can get a magazine box extension, if you like from Wyatt's. it can make the magazine box .2 inches longer, but requires some gunsmith work. there is some good information or accurate reloading for the 284 is yoe google "reloading the 284 winchester for accuracy." the author has a fond liking for vihtvuori N150 powder. you can also expirament with RL17 powder- good reuslts with the bench rest crowd with that combination.

I would buy a Wyatt box, the one with the spring lips EDM cut into it, and have it installed first off. The 284 runs into the same issue as the 6mm when put where it belongs in a short action, BTW I hate putting SA cartridges in long actions just a personal thing, the extra .2 will do wonders for your bullet selection and loading versatility. I don't have the reamer but I do have the gauges and the reamer is just a phone call away. I like this idea although I'd prefer to rebarrel, I was planning on doing a 284 myself for next sheep season but chose to go 257Roy because I had a mag action. Let me know if you want to go forth and I'll help out however I can.

Kid he said he wanted to rechamber a 7-08 to 284. The 7-08 is on a SA.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Yes I understand that he wants to use a SA, I would too if I were building a 284. I was just stating my general dislike for SA cartridges in long actions.

Thanks already looked into the Wyatt box as well... Need a couple of weeks to things together... It should be a rather easy rechamber job but I'm no gunsmith... When I get it things gathered up I will be headed your way...

Another one I would like to do is the 338-284... For you 338-06 guys it's supposed to be better from the limited data I have seen it holds true. Would need to get a new barrel of course.

Another one I would like to do is the 338-284... For you 338-06 guys it's supposed to be better from the limited data I have seen it holds true. Would need to get a new barrel of course.
    With the 338-284 you'll have to watch your bullet selection pretty closely as the COAL comes into play. Lots of bullets have to be seated very deep in the case.
    The modern short action version of the 338-284/338-06 is the 338 RCM, and it's not a wildcat.

But where is the fun in the rcm??? I'm a wildcat guy with the 284 being a great case to base wildcats off of.

But where is the fun in the rcm??? I'm a wildcat guy with the 284 being a great case to base wildcats off of.
    It costs about the same to reload the RCM as the 338-284, with the difference being the cost of 338-284 dies, they are considered wildcat and are more expensive than the Rugers. But wildcats are fun, I've got a 6-284 heavy varmint.
    The 284 case has been wildcatted far more than chambered as a 284 Win.

I did it in a LH SA Rem 700 with a take off Rem 7-08 barrel did not like it sold it. Mag length limits bullet selection need short for weight bullets.
    Much better in a 3.0" length action or you can modify your action for Wyatts or other longer magazine. Ended up buying a Ruger LH 7-08 its a better
    fit and not much difference in performance properly loaded, and feeds perfect.