Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: 2012 moose drop camp

  1. #1
    Member ripnlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    291

    Default 2012 moose drop camp

    Been scouring this site for months and thought I'd ask for some assistance. My hunting partner and I (residents) are planning to take our dads and one other family friend (3 non-res) on a drop camp moose hunt in 2012. One moose would be a nice bonus and two would be outstanding. We aren’t looking for monsters, just meat, so kinda looking at the “any bull” areas, what are your thoughts? Five guys with no rafting experience and the fact that my buddy and I will be doing most of the work kinda has me leaning towards a drop camp vs float. We all have AK hunting experience just not for moose "drop camps". I have spoken with Coyote and Wright’s and still working on getting the bios on the horn. I am having a difficult time choosing which GMU.

    Without having someone tell you about a hunting spot, and not being able to fly to scout, how would you go about choosing a spot to fly into? Are most people relying on the air taxis knowledge to drop them into a moose spot?

    Feel free to PM if you prefer.

    Thank you for your help!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    220

    Default You've got a great idea!!!

    That's just what I did this year and a friend did the year before. We got dropped on a small lake. We took an Aire Traveler. It was awesome. The boat let us hunt the whole lake and we used it to transport the moose. I can't imagine that it would have been nearly as nice without the boat because of all the freedom and utility it had. There are thousands and thousands of lakes. Moose like water. If you can, it'd be worth it to have a pilot's ear and tell him what you're looking for, then fly over some lakes to find one with a grassy shallow end in it (moose heaven) and a good camping spot. Our hunt trip was remarkable. Great grayling fishing, awesome camping and canoeing and a good bull to boot. The darned caribou never quit parading around us, darned shame our 'bou tag was filled!

    A lake drop hunt is awesome. Easy transportation, you get to establish a camp that you don't have to break every night, and you can learn an area around the lake. I highly recommend it!

    And the scenery can be astounding too!




  3. #3
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    Been scouring this site for months and thought I'd ask for some assistance. My hunting partner and I (residents) are planning to take our dads and one other family friend (3 non-res) on a drop camp moose hunt in 2012. One moose would be a nice bonus and two would be outstanding. We aren’t looking for monsters, just meat, so kinda looking at the “any bull” areas, what are your thoughts? Five guys with no rafting experience and the fact that my buddy and I will be doing most of the work kinda has me leaning towards a drop camp vs float. We all have AK hunting experience just not for moose "drop camps". I have spoken with Coyote and Wright’s and still working on getting the bios on the horn. I am having a difficult time choosing which GMU.

    Without having someone tell you about a hunting spot, and not being able to fly to scout, how would you go about choosing a spot to fly into? Are most people relying on the air taxis knowledge to drop them into a moose spot?

    Feel free to PM if you prefer.

    Thank you for your help!
    Rip,

    You might have a look at the new Hunt Planning Pages on this site. There's a lot of info in there that might help you. HERE'S THE LINK TO THE FIRST PAGE. There's a menu to the other pages in the top left side of the page.

    And no, I would not advise letting your air charter plan your hunt. The short version of that one is that the charters are in the flying business, not the hunting business. You're welcome to PM me on Wright's; I'm happy to share what I know from the last two seasons with them.

    Regards,

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  4. #4
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    And no, I would not advise letting your air charter plan your hunt. The short version of that one is that the charters are in the flying business, not the hunting business.
    A more correct statement would be, "the charters are in the SAFE flying business". In other words, just because so and so says a certain lake is a great hunting spot, doesn't mean the air service will take you there.

    An established charter/transporter business should have good information on successful hunting locations they can safely land clients at. I certainly would agree that you shouldn't let the transporter PLAN your hunt, but would also recommend working WITH the transporter on just where he can take you and if that is a good moose spot.

    There have been several posts the last couple seasons of happy hunters flying out with 40 mile air for moose and bou. You might try talking to them
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    220

    Default Seems to me

    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Rip,

    You might have a look at the new Hunt Planning Pages on this site. There's a lot of info in there that might help you. HERE'S THE LINK TO THE FIRST PAGE. There's a menu to the other pages in the top left side of the page.

    And no, I would not advise letting your air charter plan your hunt. The short version of that one is that the charters are in the flying business, not the hunting business. You're welcome to PM me on Wright's; I'm happy to share what I know from the last two seasons with them.

    Regards,

    -Mike
    Mike, it seems to me that the hunt planner page says "Six months prior
    Confirm air charter arrangements (drop-off and take-out for float hunts, drop location for drop camps, hunting pressure, etc.)" would at least play a huge part in hunt planning? I can't begin to praise our pilot highly enough for his advice and involvement in hunt planning. If he played dumb and went off of my friend's hunt planning, it would have never had been such a great and succesful hunt. He knew the are like I never will. I guess they're certainly not in the hunt planning buisiness but they sure can make or break a hunt!!!

    I'm curious, has anyone had an experience to the contrary?

  6. #6
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sir View Post
    Mike, it seems to me that the hunt planner page says "Six months prior
    Confirm air charter arrangements (drop-off and take-out for float hunts, drop location for drop camps, hunting pressure, etc.)" would at least play a huge part in hunt planning? I can't begin to praise our pilot highly enough for his advice and involvement in hunt planning. If he played dumb and went off of my friend's hunt planning, it would have never had been such a great and succesful hunt. He knew the are like I never will. I guess they're certainly not in the hunt planning buisiness but they sure can make or break a hunt!!!

    I'm curious, has anyone had an experience to the contrary?
    You quoted the article correctly, but what is your question?

    -Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  7. #7
    Member martentrapper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks, Ak.
    Posts
    4,191

    Default

    Sir, if you scan thru past posts you will find hunters who have had unsatisfactory experiences with aviation transporters. However, as you experienced, reliable businesses will be a big help in the overall success of the hunt. A transporter who has been flying the same country for several years would undoubtedly have valuable insight into good hunting locals. Lastly, anyone who has ever flown with a transporter knows the final decision on where to land is ALWAYS up to the pilot.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

  8. #8
    Member ripnlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Sir and Mike, PM sent your way.

    Thanks for all the info so far fellas.

    In my limited experience with flyouts, the pilots have been very helpful and a wealth of knowledge; and like 'trapper mentioned they thankfully always have the final say as far as safety. Personally, they have opened up other (better) options for future hunts....but, I would not want to rely on them to drop me into an area that I have no prior info on.

    Mike, your point is well taken; I prefer to do the planning myself (with the help from the forum of course).

    Keep it goin...still taking notes.

  9. #9
    webmaster Michael Strahan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    5,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    Sir and Mike, PM sent your way.

    Thanks for all the info so far fellas.

    In my limited experience with flyouts, the pilots have been very helpful and a wealth of knowledge; and like 'trapper mentioned they thankfully always have the final say as far as safety. Personally, they have opened up other (better) options for future hunts....but, I would not want to rely on them to drop me into an area that I have no prior info on.

    Mike, your point is well taken; I prefer to do the planning myself (with the help from the forum of course).

    Keep it goin...still taking notes.
    It is my observation that air transporters / charters have gotten into the information business as a necessity borne of clients who have not done their research. They are routinely asked for the best moose spots with no other hunters, and so they provide the best information they can in order to help ensure your success. They know that referrals are the cheapest and best form of advertising, and they're not going to get many good referrals from unsuccessful clients. So they spend part of the off season doing the same kinds of research I am suggesting we hunters do ourselves (read the books, read the management and harvest reports, interview the biologists and so forth). Pilots have the added advantage of flying the area and looking out the window at times, plus back-hauling successful hunters. So they do possess some practical knowledge that's of value. My position is that the hunters should do the research and use the air charter data to supplement and augment what their research shows. It's not hard, and it takes a huge burden off the commercial providers. Not to mention the fact that it gets us into new areas as we look at places that the air services are not currently accessing. We help them discover new places to land, and the result is that the hunting pressure is spread out.

    One concern hunters have is related to doing all the homework on a "new" area, and to have a successful hunt there, only to find that the air service starts to beat the place to death. Most air services I have worked with are very conscientious about over-harvesting an area, but you get the idea. For floaters, there's a simple work-around. Hire two different companies; one to do the drop and the other to do the pickup. But you have to be smart about it. If you take out on the same river you dropped on, it's not hard for your pickup operator to figure out where you were. But if you float out into another river, there's no way to know. On one hunt in GMU 19, we landed on a small bench near a little stream that was just floatable. That stream flowed only 15 miles before dropping into another river. And in that 15-mile section there was only one area we wanted to hunt. So we hunted the 15 mile section, floated into the downstream fork, which again flowed into another main stem river. No way could our pick-up charter determine where we came from.

    Okay, I'm a little off track here, but you get the point. We should do our own research. Besides, do you want to spend thousands of dollars on a hunt where someone else does your homework for you? What if they got the answers wrong?

    -Mike
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 11-15-2011 at 11:16.
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

  10. #10
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Research is great but in the end it is time and money that find good remote hunting spots! My hunt partner and I dropped over 6k to hunt the brooks this year and that bought us great knowledge of where not to go for sheep! We did get a ram but it was the only legal animal we saw in over a week of hunting and 50+ miles of ground covered. We saw one other pair of hunters the whole time but nothing like the sheep numbers others report.

    The harvest reports are ok as long as you realize that there is plenty of "fudging" the kill locations going on. They also don't take into account HOW the area was hunted. A low success area may be such because it had low hunter effort. Plenty of people fly out and rarely leave sight of the strip. Same with float hunters that never get out of the boat.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    220

    Default

    Good insight Mike. I can certainly see where you're coming from. I know though, that I just could never research an area without the pilot in the first place so I'm kinda stuck on the teat of knowledge so to speak.

    It is one of the most treasured things to find a place that is perfect moose ground.

    Would I go back to the same place? Yes, definitely.

    Would I use the same pilot? Yes, definitely. He's a family friend, so perhaps I'm definitely biased!

    I sure would like to try a float hunt some year. They look like a great adventure too. I wish I'd started this stuff in my 20s instead of my 50s!

  12. #12
    Member ripnlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Hey thanks for all the info so far.

    What is everyone's experience with:
    Coyote Air
    Wright Air
    Golden Eagle Outfitter

    Particularly for drop camps but any info will help.

    Thanks again!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •