Thread: alaskan honeymoon caribou hunting

Default alaskan honeymoon caribou hunting

Hi my name is Robert just starting to plan the trip I've never been to alaska thinking about flying to fairbanks then renting a truck then hunting the haul road and camping near happy valley thinking the third week of august would this be the best time any other tips are information would be appreciated thanks .

Check with the rental company...many don't consider the Dalton a "real" highway and prohibit the rentals from Haul Road travel.

Lots of folks here have hunted the Haul Rd and have tons on info in the archives.

Personally, for a honeymoon trip a flyout drop camp would be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Personally, for a honeymoon trip a flyout drop camp would be awesome.
    +1! By the time you pay for gas, rental, etc.... A drop camp probably wouldn't cost much more and I think your odds of having a successful hunt will be far greater. I did the Haul Rd. two years ago and was not succesful. Never saw a caribou outside the 5 mile corridor. There were plenty of bou right on the road but I don't have the bow cert.

thanks guys I would be flying from california to fairbanks where would I fly from 4 the drop camp

You would fly out of happy valley... They have a couple of air services up there, the time your looking at is when most folks take off up there to go chase bou. By then salmon are done running and everyone gearing up for hunting season.

You can also fly right out of Fairbanks if caribou is your target. Usually ends up cheaper than driving to Happy Valley than flying out. A nice trip would be to fly to Bettles. Stay in the lodge for a night or two, then fly out to your hunting camp with Bettles Air. http://www.bettleslodge.com/new/

I checked out the website the lodge looks awesome I'm not sure but I'm guessing it is out of m y price range thank you

I checked out the lodge it looks awesome I'm not sure but im guessing it's probably out of my price range thank you

You never know until you ask. Renting the truck plus fuel isn't going to be cheap either. Are you planning to archery hunt or rifle hunt. If you are planning to rifle hunt you are going to then have to fly out from Happy Valley or hike out 5 miles since everything within 5 miles of the highway is archery only. It's a pretty hard hike and not something I'd consider for a honeymoon. If you are archery hunters, than a road trip on the Haul Rd. could be fun. The http://www.boreallodge.com/ has nice rooms and it's on the drive up.

I have a bow hunted I'm going to buy her a bow next week and will see how it goes I would like to bring a rifle anyway I've heard stocking in the tundra can be very difficult

Stalking on the tundra can be pretty tough with a bow. The five mile hike is a hike from hell. You might end up being divorced after that

Quote Originally Posted by yucaiparob View Post
    I have a bow hunted I'm going to buy her a bow next week and will see how it goes I would like to bring a rifle anyway I've heard stocking in the tundra can be very difficult
    If you want to hunt in the archery only area (within the 5-mile corridor) you will need to be IBEP certified. Not a hard thing to do, but necessary to be legal. Stalking on the tundra could be difficult, but hiking out the 5 miles is probably worse. Most who have done it won't do it again. Others are just gluttons for punishment. It's doable, but probably not the kind of hunt you would want as part of a honeymoon. If I recall from previous threads, Airport Rentals was one of the, if not the, only vehicle rental places that allowed their vehicles to be driven on the Haul Road. That may have changed, but you would want to check on it ahead of time.

I am not trying to discourage you from the caribou hunt, but keep in mind that there are a lot of other things that you could do and make it a kind of scouting trip for the next year. Many people find that the reality of Alaska is much different than they have dreamed it to be. You could rent a vehicle, go to Denali Park, Chena Hot Springs and then spend a couple days up on the haul road hiking, scouting and talking to people. Also keep in mind the state cabin rentals which are very economical and fun. I am not trying to discourage you, it may be a once in a lifetime trip and I am not about to rain on that parade, but if you have the ability, you could get two awesome trips and make the second a better chance of being successful. Alaska has so much to offer and for a honeymoon, your bride better be hard core to want to be up to her elbows in caribou guts if you're lucky! If you have that kind of girl though, more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Stalking on the tundra can be pretty tough with a bow. The five mile hike is a hike from hell. You might end up being divorced after that
    This is some solid advice.

I hunted the Haul Rd with my wife and two kids. It was one of the BEST family experiences we have ever had. There are a few critical things to know about hunting from the road. First thing you must camp and hunt where the caribou are (not always where you want or plan to), EVERYONE else is doing this too. That means there is NO privacy, NONE. You must factor this in, especially for your wife. We carried a second tent to set up a Luggable Loo portable toilet. This was the only private area to go. Secondly is logistics like extra; fuel, water, spare tires, tools, tire repair, etc etc etc. The list goes on and on. It can be hard to grasp the distance involved. Last summer we traveled a total of 1800 miles round trip from our home in Palmer. We did make an unneeded side trip to Deadhorse, which added about 300 miles. So round trip from Fairbanks is going to be roughly 1000 miles. Fuel and services are available in limited areas with many miles between. Our truck has a 45 gallon fuel tank (diesel) so we had plenty of fuel. A rental should have similar or you will need to buy new fuel jugs to increase your carrying capacity. Buying all the needed logistical extras needs to be factored into the total expense.

We had a blast on our trip and are doing it again next August. Driving has many benefits; stopping at the Arctic Circle, a Coldfoot burger, stopping at the Yukon R., driving up and down Atigun Pass, Beaver Slide and Ice Cut, just to name a few.

Here are some pics from our trip last August.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Rd?highlight=

Here is a pic of my wife's caribou.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...al.?highlight=

I would call Wright Air out of Fairbanks and see what options they can provide that may fit your budget for drop camps. They make it pretty easy for out of State folks since you can fly commercial into Fairbanks and out to the bush from the same airport. There are several hotels right there as well so you can fly in and get a good nights sleep plus a real shower and take care of business on porcelain one last time before hitting the field!