Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trap line Firearms........?????

Default Trap line Firearms........?????

I have never been a trapper. I assume your winter work firearms are not pretty, however what firearms do you use on your trapline.......? How do you carry them.....on the sled or on your person or both......???

I carry a stainless cheap taurus 22 pistol, for dispatch. I will carry a 20 guage sometimes if I need bait. I can't hit crap with the pistol in less it is really close. Sometimes I will carry my 22-250 with, but it really blows holes in stuff so I tend not to use it that much. I think a 22 mag would be a good gun to bring with, but I dont have one. Maybe next year I will get one, just for the line.

M-39, .22Lr Romainian target training rifle are both on the snowmachine, or whichever I might need on my back as I walk.
    I usually dispatch trapped animals with the backside of my small ax, also on my snowgo, but a .22 upside the head is too uncommon.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Everybody is different. Are you walking the line? Dog Team? Snogo? Boat? Are you carrying for dispatch or for the times you see a furbearer?
    With the current value of some species skulls, bullets and axe heads are not a good way to dispatch. I would shoot wolf/wolverine if I got them alive in a trap..............but it would be a chest shot.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Is there a market,MT, for Wolf and Wolverine skulls? Fox?

The smaller animals are easily killed by standing on their chest for a minute or so, but Wolves and Wolverine are not easily stepped on......

Theres a free skull with each valuable skin.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Is there a market,MT, for Wolf and Wolverine skulls? Fox?

The smaller animals are easily killed by standing on their chest for a minute or so, but Wolves and Wolverine are not easily stepped on......

Theres a free skull with each valuable skin.
    Yes, there are market's for all animal skulls. I sell a bunch every year.

For wolves and wolverine, a well placed shot to the chest with a .22 or .22 mag does the job.

OK, it appears safe to say everyone carries a Rim Fire firearm of some configuration. Do most trappers also carry a center fire rifle on the chance of seeing a fur bearer at 125 yards just walking along, or stopped and watching you.......????

I used to carry a .223, but I never could shoot that gun very accurately, so I had been bringing my .243 along. Shot a few critters with it but it does too much damage. I'd like to find something else that's big enough to take a wolf down, but not do much pelt damage. Thiking .22 250, but haven't pulled the trigger yet... pun intended.

I carry a Ruger single six with the mag cylinder in on the handle bars of the snow machine. I also carry an AR in 223 in a scabbard on the hood of my machine. My son carries a 22 pistol and then a 17 Remington for a centerfire.
    In the next few years the wolf population here will drop dramatically due to airiel shooting once the opportunity to shoot a wolf on a regular basis goes away I will most likely invest in a 22 hornet for all the fox we have and the AR will be put away
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

I carry a 22 Lr, its chopped off to a little over 26" all. got a ducktape sling, It doesn't have a rear sight on it bu it don't matter, I can still hit a shotgun shell every shot at 25 yards, and a 22 shell every 3 or 4 shots at 20 yards. I'd shoot a fox with it out to 75 yards, maybe a tad further, if I had my oen hand made varmint bullets and it was broad side ect....i know that i could hit one at 140 yards if I had a tree branch or my 4 wheeler handle bars to rest on, but I wouldnt shoot it cause it wouldn't kill it very fast...chickens and grouse, on the other hand, ya I shoot them at 140 yards(thats righto ut side the door of the house, shooting across a field to the far fence where we butcher the pigs and cows, so I practice shooting at that range. almost never have a gut shot, and even then it kills em quick cause I "fix" most of my bullets for teh front part of it to quite litterally explode and the back 2/3's to mushroom a bit and penetrate. BTW, I shoot grouse up close with round noses, just at extended ranges all the mushrooming I can get is good.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 11-21-2011 at 20:50.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

I carry a Texas Scout ( similar to the Ruger single six) chambered in .22 Mag. duct tape on the handle but shhots true. First gun I ever bought back in 1989 while stationed in Germany.
    Hunt, Fish and drink beer with friends.........because life is to short to work all day.

Cut down to 26 inches, not 24...
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by FurFishGame View Post
    Cut down to 26 inches, not 24...
    Do you have really short arms? A cricket is 30 inches long and seems tiny I don't see how a barrel could be 16 inches and the action and stock could only be 10 inches and still be halfway usable/ergonomically comfortable unless you have tiny arms

Quote Originally Posted by FloorGuy View Post
    Do you have really short arms? A cricket is 30 inches long and seems tiny I don't see how a barrel could be 16 inches and the action and stock could only be 10 inches and still be halfway usable/ergonomically comfortable unless you have tiny arms
    it was "made" for me when I was 4 for shooting squirrels, dad traded a box of his handloads for it. I have never had a gun that fit me so I don't really care, I can still hit stuff with it. BTW, for those it may concern, when he cut it down, he didn't know it was made in the 30's and was one of only 300 made, its a marlin...mine is the 37th made

What model Marlin?

I don't remember, its in my brothers car I'll look tonight and get back to ya

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Jim View Post
    What model Marlin?
    its an 80E

I use An old 9-shot Remington 22. Right below where the neck and skull meet, and it's an instant, humane death without damaging the hide or skull.

Generaly for dispatch & small game for me it's a Ruger Mk II for a handgun, or a Rem Nylon 66 for rifle. If I want something along for the odd coyote etc that I might come accross not in a trap, it will probably be a shortened mini 14 that I picked up this year. Would love to have a nice little 222 rem or Hornet again.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

243 and 22 mag in the car for between sets, 40 SW on my hip when I'm checking. In case I ever come across 15 wolves at once that wan't to play . Last year I carried a Henry Lever action 22. This year I moved to a 9 shot 22 SW stainless revolver. With that said I don't like shooting animals in the skull. The last two fox I've got on my line I've put a shot int he chest and I'm not really satisfied with it. I'm making a kill stick. Taking 1/2" x 6' pipe putting a cap on one end, drilling it, putting a 1/16" snare cable out the top with lock, about 12" from the bottom drilled another hole to bring the cable back out of. Over the 1/2" pipe I have a large washing that the cable runs under. When you push the washing up it locks the cable from being pulled back toward the animal. Figure I'll try this on the next few fox I get.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast