Thread: Looking for ptarmigan

Default Looking for ptarmigan

So I've been excited when the snow got here. I have been wanting to hunt this bird I have heard so much about. The Ptarmigan. Never done any hunting before, so me and my boy head to the Thompson pass from Valdez. We drove slowly from blueberry lake to worthington glacier. Never even seen a ptarmigan before but we saw a flock of about 30 birds.
    Getting excite that we might get a chance to take a shot at a few we got out of the car only to realize that the snow was about 4 feet in some spots and to deep to move on. Disappointed me and my son trudged back to the car. Hopefully we can score some snowshoes and head out again soon.
    Do ptarmigan come down to the city or will our best bet be on the pass?

Willow Ptarmigan often go into more urban areas during winter, however I believe White Tail or possibly Rock Ptarmigan are more common in Thompson pass. I don't believe these species are as common in urban ares in winter. In my experience asking at the local sporting goods store is usually help full. That is of course if you don't get better advice from someone here.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Lynch has given you good advice. Go in to see the folks at ADF&G and your local wildlife Trooper besides those Lynch mentioned. And here 's a hint for you to ferret out: try the mountain trail right beside town. Either way, you will need snowshoes if your are going to get serious about hunting ptarmigan. They're not what I would consider fun to walk in, but they are a necessity. You'll get used to them.

Also it helps to use a good binocular to find birds or at least tracks. This will make you more efficient and save you some time and energy as well.

Jim

I'm curious. Do those little Brittanies stay on top of the snow pretty well? My poor dog wears herself out in it, but of course she weighs 70 pounds and always breaks through.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

Skinny,

My Brittanys do really well. I'm ready to quit long before the dogs are!

Jim

Thanks for the replys. I'll be looking into renting or borrowing some snow shoes soon and planning on taking a trip to chat with the local DF&G guys in town
    Thanks alot