Thread: Electrical Question: 100 amps 30 feet=wire size...???

Default Electrical Question: 100 amps 30 feet=wire size...???

I need to push 100 amps 28 to 30 feet with no loss. Request suggested wire size, and yes it will be aluminum wire/cable, I can't afford copper. Thank You.

If you go to http://genuinedealz.com/voltage-drop.html it has a calculator that will figure it out for you. Keep uping the wire size until you get to numbers you are happy with, (wire cost vs voltage drop).

Kelvin

For under ground you need 2-2-2 URD. That will be two #2 aluminum hots and a #2 alumimun neutral. In the wall you would also need #2 aluminum but it will be called 2-2-2-4 SER or service entrance wire. It's a four wire that uses #2 hots, #2 neutral, and a #4 ground.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    For under ground you need 2-2-2 URD. That will be two #2 aluminum hots and a #2 alumimun neutral. In the wall you would also need #2 aluminum but it will be called 2-2-2-4 SER or service entrance wire. It's a four wire that uses #2 hots, #2 neutral, and a #4 ground.
    Doug,
    Your assuming he is running AC. In looking at his post I wasn's sure, thought it could be DC from a battery bank. That's why I gave him a link instead of a straight up answer.

AGL4Now,
    What are you using it for? It will make a differance in the answer you get.

Kelvin

Good catch Kelvin. AGL's last wire question was about 220 amp AC wire heading to his place. I just assumed (you know where that gets us ) that he was continuing with this project.

The system is all AC. I used 4/0 4/0 2/0 (200 amp service) from the remote pedistal to the panel on the outside of the cabin at that point the 200 amps will be split into 100 amps for the cabin and 100 amps for a future shop/barn building. Inside the cabin is a 100 amp panel. What I need to know is what size aluminum wire/cable to run the 28' or 30' from the outside wall panel to the inside panel........???

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Doug,
    Your assuming he is running AC. In looking at his post I wasn's sure, thought it could be DC from a battery bank. That's why I gave him a link instead of a straight up answer.

AGL4Now,
    What are you using it for? It will make a differance in the answer you get.

Kelvin

AGL you will want to use the #2 SER wire, it is usually gray.

Yikes, so much for jumping in the middle of a conversation. Looks like a good assumption Doug. Guess I'll just quietly fad into the background now.

AKRiverrunner is correct. SER can be run through the studs without conduit.

Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate the help. I have been living on one extension cord for 11 years. One light bulb, one small refrigerator, and the computer, that is it.