Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pics, story of first 10 days of the season

Default Pics, story of first 10 days of the season

So five days ago or so we head back downriver, most of the leads had closed up and conditions much better, we cruise three miles down to the mouth of a side creek where I have a wolf/wolverine set and a marten set to put in. I pound the snowhook into the ice, the team is facing downriver, grab the trapping bag, and stomp off 30 feet into the woods to make the sets.

Dogs are whining, eager to go, I peek through the trees every once in while to make sure they are still there, while putting in the big critter set. Just about done, better peak out again, what...huh? W T F!? I run out there, fall through a bit of shelf ice, no team! No tracks continuing downriver, leader must have turned them all around, pulled the hook, I can see the tracks of the dangling hook in the snow. Aaaaarrrgggggh!

Nothing much to do, I finish up the set, carry the trapping bag with baits etc across the river and tromp homeward wondering if the hook is gonna catch on anything, like some drift we went right by, or if dogs are gonna get caught up and in a big fight, all kinds of things can happen. Cursing myself for not tying off the team.

It's -5, pretty warm really but blowing from the north. Way overdressed for walking really, have parka open, hat off, a mile and still no doggies, another mile and nada, which is where I snapped this pic:

Well good thing not much snow yet, was pretty easy walking. Another half mile and only a half mile from home and what's that up ahead?

That's a zoom shot, and it's right where there is this tiny little gravel bar island between two channels. I get up there and here is what stopped them:

The grab bar of the hook caught on a frozen in rock, just barely. Team were all wagging tails, oh lookee here, what's up Dad, where'd ya go man <grin>. Nothing to do but pull hook and continue on home, the day was mostly a bust.

Few days later, heading downriver again, breaking out more trail:

Going across some flats but they still are really rough. Have a few pole sets like this I still use:

Here's looking back downriver on the way back, 3pm:

Catching some marten, here's a nice dark male in one of the 120 sets I picked up yesterday:

And
    this is one of the flats I'm going overland on, looks like a lot more snow than there really is, you can see the rig is up on a tussock, painful going trying to stay on the rig and keep from wiping:

Been working on a new pair of mitts, finished them a few days ago, funny that I have little fur left to use for my own uses after making hats and mitts for others, had to cobble these mitts together from various fur pieces, dog, wolf, beaver, and bear:

Need more snow to really be able to get to most of the lines, but going on the river is good. Did ice measurement for NOAA yesterday, 7" thick with five inches snow on top where I checked. Just a few open leads left. Not much sign other than marten out there so far, starting to see some ptarmigan on the willow bars, and plenty of vole sign too, matter of fact the dogs nearly got one that was out on the river the other day. And they are hearing more under the snow in places.

That's the latest from eastern interior, zero degrees and overcast here today.

Thanks for sharing that, Mark. I'm glad to see that you got your first marten on the stretcher and that your dogs are making sure that you get your exercise by running you a bit. Good stuff!

Congrat's Mark, I enjoy your trapping adventures. Talked with Sandy, might be able to head out your way for a weekend!

As always I love the pictures and the stories......

I also love that look on a dogs faces.... What's wrong? Who me? I did something wrong?

Where did you get the dog fur?

Curt, would be way cool if we could get you out here for a visit!

Jon, the dog fur came from...well...I think you know where. That is a nice ox in your avatar btw, hope things are going well out your way.

Thanks for the comments guys, looks like cold weather is heading our way in the interior.
    Cheers,

Great shots - as Always!

Well, you set the brake, but then the motor was still running. ;-)
    Good that worked out with easy walking and all.

I really enjoy reading all of your stories Mark, thanks for sharing again. Cold(er) here in Fairbanks today, should be headed your way.
    Do you see or trap many lynx in your neck of the woods? I believe their numbers are still pretty high, so was just wondering. Take care.

Not sure why your saying my name Bushrat, I did not comment on your post.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermann222 View Post
    Not sure why your saying my name Bushrat, I did not comment on your post.
    The Jon he is referring to is Kusko. He's referencing the post immediately preceding his own.

Great photos, thanks for sharing Mr Mark. Cool mitts as well, nothing wasted.

Stay warm and be safe.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Brian, I know that, but kusko is not Jon, he is mixing kusko and I up.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermann222 View Post
    Brian, I know that, but kusko is not Jon, he is mixing kusko and I up.
    Ah, got it. My fault there...

Apologies to Kusko, and to you too Jon, I did get his name wrong. Again, Kusko, nice ox in the avatar.

And Jon, how are things going out west?

Lots of snow, not enough ice, looks about the same as what you have been dealing with.

Thanks for the photos and write up. Its great seeing that stuff sitting here 3,000+ miles away.

Tupper Lake, NEW YORK IN THE CENTER OF THE ADIRONDACK MTS.

Mark,
    You have NO idea how much your posts mean to countless individuals. We all look so forward to seeing your real life posts because so many of us have dreamed about living the life you live.FEW of us could live your life but we dream that we could..Please keep everyone`s dream alive with your posts. THANK YOU!!!!!!

Cool!

Dogs have their peculier ways. I'm suprized they didnt try and follow you in.~LOL!~

Working out in this weather has been trying enough here as well. I frost bit my hands and fingers all over while wrenching away, little stings and welts all over ~LOL!~ Our rivers snow is thankfully gone, and now ice is almost 14 inches thick, and enough snow was blown away during our winds that the ice thickend right up.

Good luck this season.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Mark, great pictures of your adventure. When I first saw your mustache and beard getting iced up it brought back a story I read when I was in grade school, "To Build a Fire", by Jack London. Certainly glad your ending was much better. After all, you have an audience to keep entertaining, thanks for that, from one of the lower 48ers.

Mark

"where did the dog fur come from"....? really?!!! lol geez he lives in the bush....when i lived in the bush we shopped in the dump.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast