Thread: Foxes in the hen house

Default Foxes in the hen house

How do you deal with foxes that come around at night?

My hen house is pretty secure so it hasnít gotten in. Iíve thought about setting traps, but Iíve got a couple of small dogs and two young kids. I can just see the kids forgetting and letting the dogs out before I get the traps picked up in the morning.

So, other than setting up all night with a .22 and spotlight any bright ideas on how to deal with this?

Thanks

I use 15' long dog kennel pre-built sections. They are chainlink and movable. My problem was bears, wolves and lynx, eagles, hawks.

We've had a few bear problems, but they are denning up now.

Considering all the hawks, eagles, and owls we have around here itís surprised me we haven't had problems with them.

Iíve been told there are wolves around, but I have yet to see a track and the coyotes stay on the other side of the river.

So right now my problem is one pesky fox.

A lot would depend on the size of your dogs, if they are a lot bigger than the fox a snare would work, a domestic dog normally will not fight a snare hard enough to kill it but if they are bigger than the fox a small loop would work on the fox, yet not allow the dogs to get caught. Flip the snare out of the way during the day drop it in place when you put the dogs in at night. ~Mist~

I like that idea. It's kind of random what nights he shows up, but his path is allways the same.

Thanks

Good luck post the pic when you catch him. ~Mist~

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    I like that idea. It's kind of random what nights he shows up, but his path is allways the same.

Thanks
    Do your dogs travel around alot? if they don't set the snares out a ways on the trail if he keeps the same trail for very long
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

How about using a live trap? I have used them here and there is no issue if one of the dogs or a non targeted animal. We used to have issue was cats getting into our chickens. Live trap was the answer for us.

Get some metal window screen find an old extension cord, cut the screen in about 18" wide strips tape screen end to end place on the ground all around coup cut the female end of cord drop a leg attach the other to the screen plug er in at nite.
    If an ol fox comes around and steps on that he won't be back guaranteed. works pretty good on garbage pickin Bears and dogs also.

Or you can just run a bare wire around the coup on wooden stakes about a foot off the ground, attach cord Mr Fox will learn pretty quick there ain't no free Chicken dinner round there.

Has anyone used a( Nite Guard ),Solar powered red flashing light .They say it keeps nocturnal predators away.Predators fill like someone or something is watching them and they stay away.

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Has anyone used a( Nite Guard ),Solar powered red flashing light .They say it keeps nocturnal predators away.Predators fill like someone or something is watching them and they stay away.
    I doubt a red light would matter to them as 70% of the callers roughly use a red light for predator calling as it doesn't spook the animals.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    How do you deal with foxes that come around at night?

My hen house is pretty secure so it hasnít gotten in. Iíve thought about setting traps, but Iíve got a couple of small dogs and two young kids. I can just see the kids forgetting and letting the dogs out before I get the traps picked up in the morning.

So, other than setting up all night with a .22 and spotlight any bright ideas on how to deal with this?

Thanks
    If you don't want to try to hunt that fox, I am sure there are some willing to do the deed here on the forum. Myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    If you don't want to try to hunt that fox, I am sure there are some willing to do the deed here on the forum. Myself included.
    Jack,
    Thanks for the offer but one of my neighbors got to him first.