Thread: .338 marlin express

Default .338 marlin express

this is my first elk taken with the .338 marlin express. the shot was taken at 280yds into the wind. penetration was good with a double lung shot, bullet resting under the hide of the off shoulder. shoulder was broken, the elk dropped with the shot. quite impressive.
    happy trails.
    jh

Way to go ! Any pictures ? What bullet were you using and how long is your riles barrel ?

Neat little LA round,hope it stays on the market awhile.Congrats on the Elk
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

hi and thanks! i posted a picture, but am having trouble with them. they only show up that size. the cases are hornady .338 marlin cases w/ cci 200 primers using leverevolution powder capped with 200gr leverevolution bullets. they chronograph 2533fps.
    happy trails.
    jh

Congrats on another elk with one of your Marlins. It just dawned on me when I read your load data in the post above but that things a 348 Winchester. I don't know why I hadn't thought of it before but you are getting almost identical performance to a buddy's model 71. That really is a potent little rifle, as evidenced by your latest elk harvest.

hi kid; you are right about the .348. ballistics are similar, with improvements. the .338 shoots a heavy 200gr ( lead or mono ) bullet with a bc of .455 that keeps up with the 30-06 in trajectory and power. pretty amazing with a tubular magazine rifle. factory loads start at 2565fps, mine are a bit less but apparently lethal.

i like the rifle, as it carries well, and settles down even when i'm mountain hunting. after mounting a burris 4x short mag scope this formidable package is ready to hunt.

jh
    p.s. how did your hunt go??
    happy trails.
    jh

Well my Labor Day bear hunt was completely weathered out, six days stuck in Cordova with 70knot wind and sideways rain. Needless to say no bears were harmed. Two weeks ago I was on Kodiak hunting deer and helping a buddy hunt bear. We took one buck each but couldn't catch up with the bear we were after. Took my first game with my 1886 Win and watched my pal smoke a buck with his Deluxe Model 71 .348. One of those discontinued 200gr barnes X bullets at 2600fps is a formidable game stopper.

hi kid; sorry to hear your hunt went sour........but they do. did you quarter your bucks or haul em out? no bear problems? i hope you will have time to get into something else. after trying the barnes(feeding probs) , my '86 likes 350gr gas checks over some 4198 to chrono 2050fps. it is a killer. took an elk at 112yds..and the bullet is probably still traveling ! lol

i just threw in a picture for effect! my "86 now has a checkered forearm & stock.

happy trails.
    jh

Very nice I shoot 350 Speer magtips right at 2k in my 86. They shoot great and seem to be pretty tough since they are made for the 458WM. The deer we shot on the island we boned out on the spot and backpacked down. Nothing big, a forkhorn for me and a spiker for Hans but good eating nonetheless. Might get the opportunity to shoot an elk this January when I go home to see my folks, other than that I'll likely be hunting snowshoe rabbits and ptarmigan this winter to stay in shape.