Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bird hunting this year, what have you seen this year?

Default Bird hunting this year, what have you seen this year?

While the wife and i were out Ptarmigan hunting this year we ran across one of the most regeal animals in alaska i think a wolverine and was able to get back to the truck and grab the rifle and we were off in search of him hoping and praying we may see him again let alone get a shot at him. Luck was on are side i had the wife stay on the ridge as i went lower to see if i could see him and he must have been behind a little mound when i left he came out the wife got a shot on him come to find out these animals are amazingly strong so the chase was on. I took the rifle from the wife and went off after him not wanting her to chase a wounded animal and finaly found some tracks in the snow and the tracking was on, hundred yards later he was hiding under a small spruce trees so i circle around to ge the finishing shot on him. That was one of the best hunting trips i have had in alaska oh and not one bird shot. Oh and its always fun to find out how much you can put your body through when your heart is racing, then the next day it sets in. Ran the top of the mountain to get to him. Pics coming soon.

Back at the truck
    IMG_4462.jpg

Pretty neat....awesome animals for sure. I've only seen a couple ever. Congrats.
    "If I could shoot a game bird and still not hurt it, the way I can take a trout on a fly and release it, I doubt if I would kill another one." George Bird Evans

Beautiful animals for sure ! Congratulations.

Thats the first one me and the wife have ever seen and let alone got to shoot it. Right spot at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by hoythunter View Post
    Right spot at the right time.
    That is what it's all about brother.

Getting a full body mount on it figured its a once in a life time thing so it will be worth it.

Are Wolverines rare encounters and are they dangerous ?

I believe there a rare sight, there have been people up here for 20 years hunting and being in the woods and never have seen one. They can have a range up to 100 square miles. As far as dangerous yes they can be and will be if they need to be, pretty much fearless as you can get. Ask ppl that have seen them or ran in to them they got some crazy storys. If they were the size of bears we would need to worry even more haha

if wolverines were as big as bears, the bears wouldnt be at the top of food chain anymore lol....

they are very solitary and secretive.....ive only seen 2 up here my whole 26 years in AK, and Ive spent ALOT of time in thier habitat.....i was lucky enough to stumble upon one feeding at a moose carcass, and it was at night.....other one i saw from about 600 yards and he was covering ground as fast as his stubby legs would carry him......when they get caught in a trap, the damage one can do to an area is awesome.....i dont believe a grizzly bear could do as much damage as they....

Release Lake Trout

Default wolverine

IMG_0154.jpgIMG_0134.jpg
    I've been hunting/hiking in alaska as much as possible for the last 6 years and this is the only wolverine I've ever seen. He was feeding on a caribou and I got lucky. Not a bad way to start off a ptarmigan hunt!

Hoyt thanks for sharing.

nice pictures what time of year was that cause it seems to have longer hair than mine?

I have seen one wolverine in 35 years , I have never been a trapper. I have seen video of a wolverine standing down a large brown bear and one standing down wolves, they are fierce and ferocious animals that I would never take lightly, heck a weasel of any size is impressive if only by attitude !

Out hiking with my wife one summer we encountered a stoat that fended off my two 65lb dogs ! Funny as EHLL ! MY ribs still hurt from laughing !

They sure would make a fine hat .

Hoyt,
    It was a few weeks ago in Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    IMG_0154.jpgIMG_0134.jpg
    I've been hunting/hiking in alaska as much as possible for the last 6 years and this is the only wolverine I've ever seen. He was feeding on a caribou and I got lucky. Not a bad way to start off a ptarmigan hunt!

Hoyt thanks for sharing.
    Let me get this right, 3 people in the pictures are holding and petting a fox and wolverine ?????

LMAO! Those critters are dead barr.

Quote Originally Posted by tailwind View Post
    LMAO! Those critters are dead barr.
    Oh geez , I gotta get some more sleep .

Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    Hoyt,
    It was a few weeks ago in Oct.
    Oh nice thats when we got ares also.

Saw one once down in Anchorage, go figure.

Those guys area bit crazy, never like the way the ones in the zoo look at me...

Quote Originally Posted by Rumbarr View Post
    Are Wolverines rare encounters and are they dangerous ?
    never had a run in with a wolverine, but a martin (a cousin of the wolverine) which is only a few pounds was all tangled up in one of my traps under a tree and I tried to pull it out so as to whack it on the head, and even with a trap that was half its body size it still jumped completly off the ground and bit my hand. I'm sure a wolverine, which is way bigger, would do more damage than a bear just because of there power to weight ratio and the fact that they are quicker (don't get me wrong, bears are extreimly fast too) I wouldn't wan tto tangle with a wolverine, but I'm sure they are like bears, they most likely amble away most of the time, unless you approach thier kill or babys or corner them ect.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast