Thread: Musk rat!

Default Musk rat!

My oldest boy and I were sitting in our portable this morning. The action had been fast and furious for about 30 minutes, then just died. No taper off, bumps, nothing for the next 15 minutes or so. I had my head turned toward him, as we were talking about a biology project he has at school. Suddenly I noticed movement in my hole. I turned my head and nearly came off my bucket as this funky looking critter came up for air, right at my feet! Truth be told, it scared the crap out of me! Seriously, I've been ice fishing for over 20 years and never had that happen before. My reaction in turned frightened it, and as he beat a hasty exit he became entangled in my line. Great, I thought, I'm going to foul hook a muskrat. We were only fishing 7' of water but thankfully he cleared himself before meeting up with my jig!

If that wasn't enough, he came back in about 5 minutes, grabbed some more air and dove back down. My boy thought maybe drilling some additional holes would him help out, so I drilled 3 holes in a triangle formation around our shelter. Nope. That bonehead kept coming back to my hole and my hole only.....two more times in the next 30 minutes! Unbelievable. I don't know if it was the rat, timing or our luck, but we did not get another take.

One of those moments I'll remember for the rest of my life!

That reminds me of a time when i was in my canoe, kinda trollin along the edge of diamond lake and a mink walks along the bank following me eventually he come in teh water and swims along side me. It was cool

What lake were you at?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

never know what to expect outside. Gotta love those moments

He'll be packing that hole with 'Muskrat food',we call a "pile' of whatever kina vegitation they save up for winter.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thanks stranger, you just answered a question I've had for a few days. I've seen those piles before and wondered what they were and how they got there.

Hehe,
    Muskrats are cool. There is an ancient Mi'qmaq story about a muskrat. He was wise in mischievous in the story. Always like those little critters.

A number of years ago when civilians were allowed on base, my kids and I were ice fishing Otter lake on Fort Rich...I was using a yellow maribou jig with a piece of shrimp on it when I got the biggest hit of my life....after a short fight I pulled up the most pissed off piece of furball muskrat ever...he hissed and rolled around and generally looked really put out. Well I had hooked him thru the web between his toes on a hind foot....used the hemostats to undo that after tossing a coat on him...this one did not come back!

I went back down this morning, just putting in a couple hours before watching some football. I knew I was taking a chance going to the same place but hey, I've had good days there so far! After setting up the shelter I settled in. Sure enough, there he was again, popping up one hole and then the other....not 15 minutes after my line went in! I ended up running him off 3 times and once again, I did not get a single take. Not sure if my lack of success is due to him, today's weather, or both.

This happened to me and a buddy last year while ice fishing. It was quite in the hut as we were so focused on jigging to some fish we had seen and all of a sudden my buddy jumps out of his seat screaming!! It was the funniest thing. I would have never believed it if I didn't see it. Would scare me too! It was a funny time that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by AKnook View Post
    This happened to me and a buddy last year while ice fishing. It was quite in the hut as we were so focused on jigging to some fish we had seen and all of a sudden my buddy jumps out of his seat screaming!! It was the funniest thing. I would have never believed it if I didn't see it. Would scare me too! It was a funny time that's for sure.
    Haha, that dang thing scared the crap outta me. Something I will never forget.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

you know muskrat seasons open right? id keep a good noggin stick handy..........he pops up and THUNK! get a few of em and make a nice hat

Release Lake Trout

I've had this happen many times.
    It sure does make your heart jump.
    They really like spearfishing holes.
    Even when prepared with a spear in hand they are usually too quick to get.
    They can completely take over a wooden iceshanty or pike spearfishing shanty. If your unlucky enough they can weaken the ice under such a shanty to the point it begins to sink.
    I once trapped a couple of muskets out of a neighboring spear shack. Of course he had to move the shack as they had packed all underneath of it with weeds.
    I also once witnessed a fishing buddy snag one on a quickstrike rigged tipup. He thought he had a lunker pike on for a little while.
    He actually got it through his 8" hole.
    I've heard 6 or 7 big ones make a nice hat.lol
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    you know muskrat seasons open right? id keep a good noggin stick handy..........he pops up and THUNK! get a few of em and make a nice hat
    HAHAHA. Let me get him, I need a new hat...LMAO!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    HAHAHA. Let me get him, I need a new hat...LMAO!
    lol i caught one at sand lake this year man he fought like a champ, long runs and a couple belly flops pulled him up on shore and he came at me growling with incisors bared, they can get mean lol

Release Lake Trout