Thread: 7mm-08 question

Default 7mm-08 question

I'm thinking of getting a new rifle and I'm lookin fat a 7mm-08. Is this a good all around rifle for AK and lower 48 or is it mainly for smaller animals?

It's a bit light for an all around Alaska round. It will do most things up here fine but when dealing with the larger and toothier critters it is going to be lacking a bit. It's a great round. It's what I have for my primary wintertime carry rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by roknjs View Post
    I'm thinking of getting a new rifle and I'm lookin fat a 7mm-08. Is this a good all around rifle for AK and lower 48 or is it mainly for smaller animals?
    I do not believe it meets the regulatory requirements for bison, but the 7mm-08 regularly dispatches AK's largest ungulate in fine fashion. As for the big bears, bullet selection would be critical in some circumstances, but I'd bet there have been more grizzlies killed with less than there has been with more. A 7mm-08 is a highly under sung round. It's easy to forget that the bullet does all of the killing and so long as it gets where it needs to go, the diameter, weight & speed are largely inconsequential.

If you'd feel better with more (faster/larger) rifle then go after it, but don't sell the 7mm-08 short; it does most everything well...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

IMO, 7mm-08 is plenty gun for everthang, even in AK.

You can use 175 grain bullets just like a 7mm Mauser.

Of course, you'd probably hafta handload them. I don't see any FLs listed in my "Ammo & Ballistics" book that are heavier than 150 grains.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

In my limited experience, the 7-08 is one of those cartridges that seemingly kills all out of proportion to its mild paper ballistics. A good friend of mine got on the 7-08 bandwagon early and has been singing its praises ever since. Mild recoil and excellent bullet performance which mimics what the 7x57 was and still is...and that's by no means ****ing it with faint praise.

It won't meet the minimum for bison and I can't say I'd purposely go prowling after a big coastal bear with one but for everything else I think it would do well. Practically an ideal caribou rifle.

Should work fine with a good bullet. Like most of us I would want something bigger for the brown/griz critters, especially if they were wounded and in heavy brush.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    In my limited experience, the 7-08 is one of those cartridges that seemingly kills all out of proportion to its mild paper ballistics. A good friend of mine got on the 7-08 bandwagon early and has been singing its praises ever since. Mild recoil and excellent bullet performance which mimics what the 7x57 was and still is...and that's by no means ****ing it with faint praise.

It won't meet the minimum for bison and I can't say I'd purposely go prowling after a big coastal bear with one but for everything else I think it would do well. Practically an ideal caribou rifle.
    Years ago I read a similar statement about the 7x57 Mauser. It performs in the field way beyond its paper stats. Walter Bell thought so too.
    "Bell shot over 1,500 elephants during his career[11]. He was noted for using high speed, smaller calibre bullets[12][13] rather than the slow speed, larger calibre bullets that were popular with other big game hunters.[14] The bulk of his kills were made with Rigby manufactured copies of Mauser rifles in 7x57mm calibre. 300 were killed with Mannlicher-Schoenauer 6.5x54mm[6] carbines, and 200 with a .303 British.[15] He insisted on using military Full Metal Jacket bullets weighing from approx 150 to 200 grains, rather than the 400+ grain bullets popular at the time[8] Bell refused to use soft point bullets under any circumstances.[16]" (from Wikipedia)

I have a 7x57 AI. PO Ackley said the 7x57 improved is the ideal balance between bullet cross section and case capacity. It will deliver 160 gr bullet at 2950 ft/sec. Plenty of power for North American game. Still, if I was hunting Brown bears I would probably use my .35 Whelen-also Ackley Improved.
    NRA Lifetime Member

A friend of mine asked me about the 7mm-08 several months ago ... of which I had no knowledge.

Since then, I've looked up the round (ballistics seemed to be a step up from the 270 and slightly less than the 7mm rem mag) and plan to purchase one also.

Yes ... I believe the 7mm-08 would make a fine round for much of the game up here and the lower 48. As for a camp gun, hiking around in the brush, or a brown bear gun ... I'll stick with the 416 rigby.

I have taken many critters w/ the 7mm-08. To me without a doubt the most versitile round there is with low recoil. Here is the latest to fall to the 7mm-08. 140 Berger 2890 FPS, 205 yards, quarter to me shot complete pass through ( shoulder, rib bone) w/ massive blood trail..elk 2011.jpg

I have a 7mm/08 barrel for my Encore pistol. For most Alaskan game I am sure it is fine. Browns throw a whole new dimension to the problem, "the one gun for everything". But for caribou, sheep, goats, deer, and moose within reason it is a great round.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

There's only one 7-08 in our house, mostly because three 7x57's have lived there for the 20 years before it arrived. If the 7x57's weren't on hand, there'd be four 7-08's. Great ballistics for everything but hunting brown bear/griz, no matter which case. If Remington would ever get off their buns and make the Model 7 in a lefty or if someone else made something similar in a lefty, there'd be another 7-08 in the house.

I have a new model 70 in a 7mm08 and I love it. Ibought it for my 2 year old but I'm thinking of getting her a new one and keeping the other for me. My hunting partner uses one and I seen him kill a grizz and a sheep with one this. Both one shot flop down dead. I shoot 140 ttsx Out of mine and 16o tsx and both are under a inch