Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opening weekend...

Default Opening weekend...

So I go out opening day and set up on two dens with my trappin buddy. We get there right at midnight and set up two 330's. One at each den entrance. We head down to the other pond and set on a dam. 2 330's as well.

My buddy runs off five guys in the a.m. while I work and he waits. Talk about a long day at work. Only 3 hours of sleep.

Here is the result!!! My first beaver!!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0701.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	54950

Before I head to work, I help my daughter set a #1 LS so she can get the weasel the dogs keep freaking out about.

Next mornings result!! Happy daughter.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0708.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	54951

Head out to the beavers with two of four 330's knocked over. The big pond with beavers is froze over so we try some snare pole set ups. I didn't know if the cold would hold, but it was worth a shot.

Today we head out again. Saw a silver fox with only 5 minutes on the road. My buddy shot AT him from about 15 yds... Three shots later I decide I'm going to have a go. I grab my super accurate 10/22 and hop out of the jeep. By now the fox is a good 75yds away. Pop! Pop! Pop! goes my deuce deuce... The fox runs away!!! I see where it is going as my buddy keeps shooting. I hop in the jeep and go to where I can cut it off on the beach. 50yds Pop! Pop! Pop! Pop! What the (insert naughty word here)!!!! Pop! Finally it is down. Ballistics on a 22 suck in a 30+ knot wind!!! My first Silver by the way...

Attachment 54952

Had 7 holes in it when I skinned it. One tough female!

So far it looks like it might be a good day. Pull up to the roadside beaver and see someone has been there. You guessed it, traps were gone. Looked like two people. A size 10 to 11 and a size 6 to 7. Someone is teaching his child how to steal. Very nice...

Rest of the day was odd weather wise. Snow, Sun, Wind, and Rain. Pulled the other beaver traps at the pond not 300 yds away. Not worth driving 60 miles round trip for stolen traps...

I set the weasel trap again with my daughter. Gonna focus on fox now. The Silver has me stoked!

Gee, some great shooting there, Tex.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I miss Joe Want.

Having a hard time which lesson is worse to pass on to the next generation, to be sure.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

What happened to Joe?

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    What happened to Joe?
    I think he got tired of trying to explain morality to the immoral.......
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

some sort of competition being held by sportsman's whorehouse, maybe you get bonus points for lottsa holes....

They were all good shots. Center mass... Just a tough fox.

Dead and recovered is dead and recovered.

Nice job Trappnguns with the daughter. Mine is hooked too and loves to go open water beaver trapping with me in the spring. Too bad on the trap theft. Low lifes for sure.

-TJ

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Gee, some great shooting there, Tex.

Perhaps if he shot that pistol off about as much as you shoot your mouth off without contributing to a thread it would be dead on.

Guns, while a well marked trap does not keep someone from stealing it, there is still a small chance a person can be checked by the troopers when they are pulling it out or leaving the area. It also leaves no doubt should you encounter them out there. A hand held engraver works great for putting name and AK DL # on chain and conibear's

Way to go trappnguns!! .22 holes are an easy fix, glad you got it, people are a lot like canines, some get knocked out with one punch while others will take a beating first no matter how well the punches are placed. A big congrates to your daughters ermine catch!!

Ditto Rdrash.

Great job Trappnguns, Good to see you out and getting after it. Don't worry about these guys on this forum that think they are God's gift to hunting and trapping and never have things like that happen to them, keep going out and getting it done. Beautiful silver, I love those, I got one from Greg last year.

Congrat's to your daughter on a fine ethical take of a game animal , perhap's you could take some lessons. 7 shot's, all center mass, tough fox?

No, I'm not a forum natzi, but I know I wouldn't be bragging about it to anyone, due to the fact I wouldn't put myself in that position! Perhap's a touch under gun for that situation.

Let me ask you this............

If your demise in life was to be 'shot', would you want to be shot 7 times, or once? I know my awnser to that question!

I knew it would illicit negative responses. Nothing and no one is perfect. My skin is thick as a gator's so Internet commandos don't bother me. Stuff happens. How many deer are lost to bad shot? How many lost to good shots? My bet is more than you think.

Not all of the shots were kill shots. Center mass, yes. The point of the matter is that the fox was hit and I did everything I could to recover it. Sometimes that means more bullets, sometimes it means tracking for miles. On a good day it means walking over to the beast where you shot it with one bullet.

While I'm on here, 22lr is plenty enough gun for fox. Just ask the other two in my freezer that only took one shot...

But I digress. Your vast Internet knowledge far exceeds my country redneck IQ. I'll stick to 300 win mag for fox from now on.
    TrappHouseOutdoors@HuntFishAK

.22lr is a tad underpowered for a 75 yard shot on anything..... Even 50 is pushing it to be an effective weapon on any critter larger than rabbit.... Glad you got the fox home.... Perhaps you should invest in a .22 magnum or a .223 which is also effective on deer with proper shot placement...... Jus sayin

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Trappnguns View Post
    1.I knew it would illicit negative responses.

2. But I digress. Your vast Internet knowledge far exceeds my country redneck IQ. I'll stick to 300 win mag for fox from now on.
    1. Then why post about it?

2. You may be learning.

Just sayin' man, sound's like it was a poor choice, given the situation. So again, why GO with it, and brag about it? Before I pull that trigger, I know if it's a good choice, or not. As outdoorsman, we owe the animal/game to be taken, a bit of respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    .22lr is a tad underpowered for a 75 yard shot on anything..... Even 50 is pushing it to be an effective weapon on any critter larger than rabbit.... Glad you got the fox home.... Perhaps you should invest in a .22 magnum or a .223 which is also effective on deer with proper shot placement...... Jus sayin
    Anyone that says a .223 is a good fox gun, has not shot many fox with it, or if they have they are not salvaging the fur. The only way it is a good fur friendly fox gun is if you download it to about 1800-1900 fps. At the speed a .223 is going, even with FMJ's if you hit a bone, your fox is destroyed. Sure you don't always hit a bone, but since everyone here is so "ethical" why risk it? I have harvested LOTS of fox, with many different calibers from .22, .22 mag, .17hmr, .223. I will never shoot another with a .223 again.

And AKDSLdog are you really comparing a fox to a human? REALLY????

So your saying overgun yourself on the fox, and then advocating using the smallest legal cartridge for deer?

Right, Should have let a possibly wounded fox run off and die in the woods. I mean I didn't know if it was hit. Kinda like not ground sleucing a wounded duck, because we all know that shooting a duck on water is irresponsible and unsportsman like.

Wasn't bragging about it. Not gonna lie about it either, just saying how it happened. Maybe someone else can glean some knowledge from all of this negativity.. Or maybe we can discourage people from sharing their adventures.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermann222 View Post
    And AKDSLdog are you really comparing a fox to a human? REALLY????

So your saying overgun yourself on the fox, and then advocating using the smallest legal cartridge for deer?
    First, fishermann222, you of all people here (given your experiance on a trap line. that's a compliment by the way) whould have a greater ethical understanding in the game you chase. I would call you an ethical outdoorsman, from what I've read and seen from you over the years.

Second, I never said a .22 is not enough gun for a fox. I stated it was "POOR CHOICE" given the circumstances, I.e. high winds, long shot. Perhap's let the little bugger go for a better ethical chance another day, and enjoy the fact you got to enjoy seeing game while out and about.

Thirdly, I never said anything about a "deer".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast