Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have a CRUSH on the Kimber 84L Montana

Default I have a CRUSH on the Kimber 84L Montana

OK, I have a huge crush on a Kimber Montana 84L '06 ... I held one and fell in lust instantly - Has anyone had any experience to share to date ? I would also love to hear anything on any other of the cartridge offerings, ESPECIALLY the 280 AI

The 84L in 280AI seems more myth than reality. Maybe they'll make an appearance soon...
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Might be your lucky day. Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation has one in a raffle. PM me for details.

I'm pretty sure I'll hold one and swoon...but I can't find one to hold. Anybody know where one is lurking on a shelf?

The mythical 280AI notwithstanding....

Talk about mythical the 325 wsm is another one... I can get one in a 270 wsm, 7mm-08, 308, 30-06, 338 win mag but cannot find one in the 325 wsm.. Chimos told me at least 6 months to get one, boondocks has 3-4 on order don't know when they will get them. But did finally find a m-70 stainless/synthetic in one today.

As mentioned there are more than a few of us impatiently awaiting the 280ai's appearance! I bought a swaro 3-9x36 almost a year ago in anticipation of it being out in time for this past sheep season. I hope that the myth becomes reality sooner rather than later!
    Last edited by LuJon; 11-16-2011 at 10:37.

i have a few montana's and really like them.......my 8400 is a shooter, and will hold 1/2" if i haven't had too much coffee. the short action 84's are excellent rifles, good trigger, slick bolt, and very pointy from the shoulder. for me, they must be held rather than just supported, as recoil momentum is very fast. this can cause disturbance in poi. as i USE a sling while shooting it groups very well.
    happy trails.
    jh

323, there are several 325's on Gunbroker.com right now, all for reasonable prices - Mazama Sporting Goods here in Eugene has a 25.06 and 270 in Montana 84L and they "had" an '06 for a day (and didn't call me the DOGS) but nothing mentioned in the 280 AI yet (and YES I agree to the 280's legendary status) I am also expecting Kimber to make a 338/06 before too long - there is an 84L Montana 30.06 on Gubroker for $1149 + shipping that I may just have to spring for, it's either that one or the 25.06 at Mazama's I guess (hope the kids like their "inheritance"...)

The 84L's are being shipped in both walnut/blue and kevalr/ss. I've got a 30-06 84L Montana and really really like it. My last range session was quite outstanding. I've got a 3.5-10x40 Leupie on it. With sling, it weighs 6# 10oz., out of the box it is 5# 10oz.. So far 180gr Partitions are 3/4MOA and chrony out to 2725fps. I am a rifle loony and this is the best over the counter rifle for $1100, rivaling custom rifles for much more money. A load of Sierra Game Kings printed 3/4MOA at 200 yards two days ago.

Growing up reading Jack O'Connor, I have two 84L's in .270 Win.. I've used that cartridge for 30 years from pronghorn to Dall sheep and yes, 3 elk. I have two 84L Montana's that will be set up differently - one for the 150's and the other for the 130's or 140's, whichever are more accurate. Again the rifle is the best balanced setup I have held to date.

The Montana model is certainly well suited for Alaska. While many consider dents and scratches "beauty marks" on walnut stocks, the kevlar stock on the Montana is ready to take on all field conditions.

As to the 280AI, it is already out in the walnut version. The Montana variant is soon to follow. Anyone serious about getting one should "get in line" via their local gunshop or watch the internet sites. While the 280AI encourages appeal due to the exotic looking cartridge, it isn't all that "new age" of efficient. A 175gr bullet moves out at 2800 fps which isn't much faster than a 30-06. While the selection of .284 bullets is fantastic, brass will be a little more spendy and recoil a little stout in a 5# 10oz. rifle.

As to a 338-06, I wouldn't hold my breathe. The loyalty to this cartridge is pretty low and I doubt Kimber will see fit to invest in a cartridge that is on life support.

Hope this helps.

as a further note; the .280 ai compares with the 7mm magnum ( over my cronograph ) up to 160gr bullets......after that the 7 mag case simply holds more powder. it is such a simple "conversion" if you can find the standard .280 have a competent gunsmith ream the chamber. the cost will be $45-$75 depending on shop rate.
    happy trails.
    jh

I can't see a reason to shoot more than a 160 grain bullet in the 280AI. The Nosler Accubond 160 .284 bullet has a BC/SD of 5.31/.283 Take that and spit it out at ~2900fps... Should be good as gold for sheep/goats and I don't think I would hesitate much using it on a mountain griz either!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I can't see a reason to shoot more than a 160 grain bullet in the 280AI. The Nosler Accubond 160 .284 bullet has a BC/SD of 5.31/.283 Take that and spit it out at ~2900fps... Should be good as gold for sheep/goats and I don't think I would hesitate much using it on a mountain griz either!
    I agree +1....modern hunting bullets have gotten just phenomenal. I can't see any point to a 175gr bullet in the .280AI, nor heavy for caliber in most other bores for that matter when hunting non-dangerous game. I also share LuJon's sentiment after pounding .30 cal 180 ABs clean through several critters now, I don't think I'd hesitate on a mountain bear either.

I held a .404 Jeffery once, a real William Jeffery made around 1920, right in downtown Anchorage too. Talk about red-hot NEED. But nowhere near enough money....
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by knikglacier View Post
    The Montana model is certainly well suited for Alaska. While many consider dents and scratches "beauty marks" on walnut stocks, the kevlar stock on the Montana is ready to take on all field conditions.
    While the Kevlar is a nice light stock, I still have a few beauty marks on my Kimber Montana 84M in the couple of field days its managed to see.

I agree alot of custom features for an all purpose light rifle,I love my Kimber Montana's.Mine are in 300 and 270 wsm

Yes. I'd rather see those marks on a kevlar stock than a nice chunk of walnut. Plus the ss barrel is a plus for controlling rust. Not rust proof, but rust resistant. Yes that 84L Montana is a great balance of weight and cartridge selection. Not to mention CRF, 3 position safety and a blind magazine. A lot of custom rifles features for $1100ish.

back country, I was at the range today with the 84L Montana in 30-06. Today's trip was to test the 180gr. Partition in two different OAL settings and to chronograph the velocities. In my extended session I have an average of 2745 fps and a 100 yard average of both bullet depth of 1 1/4 inches. That is with 12 shots. At 200 yards the two loads were neck and neck in their groups.

FWIW, I saw a .325 Kimber @ GNG today for $1169.00. This was the stainless/synthetic version.

Kirk out

Super happy with my 8400 Montana in 300 WM. Shooting great and haven't even fine-tuned my handloads (100yd group):

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    As mentioned there are more than a few of us impatiently awaiting the 280ai's appearance! I bought a swaro 3-9x36 almost a year ago in anticipation of it being out in time for this past sheep season. I hope that the myth becomes reality sooner rather than later!
    Me too. I'm patiently waiting for one as well and dream about taking this rifle and cartridge combo to the mountains next fall in search of sheep and goats.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast