Thread: Kingfisher 2825 fuel tank issue

Default Kingfisher 2825 fuel tank issue

First of all I want to let everyone know how much I like my 2825 Kingfisher and this post is not intended to bash the manufacture or anyone associated with the production or sale of the brand. Also understand all boats have issues and are not flawless in their design or build and there is no such thing as the perfect boat. That being said I have discovered an issue with my fuel tank rear mounts that I consider serious and everyone who owns a similar kingfisher boat should investigate this to be sure you don't have the same problem.
    In removing the rear deck floor I found my left rear fuel tank mount completely broke and the right side broke half way across. These brackets keep the 160 gallon tank from moving back or side to side and in my opinion this mount could very easily puncture the tank. I feel compelled to make other Kingfisher boat owners aware of this issue because I canít imagine, for obvious reasons, the ramifications of many gallons of fuel in your hull. So if youíre interested I will send you my pictures of the broken brackets and what I did to fix the problem. I did not ask the manufacture or dealer to repair this, I just took care of it myself. The manufacture is aware of my dilemma and this issue may be isolated to my boat however I felt obligated to post this to make other owners aware. So there ya go, I've done my part and it's up to you to check it out.

Why didn't you let the Manufacturer make the call to repair it , you just took all the liability upon yourself. Or did the manufacture tell you where to get it repaired ?

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Why didn't you let the Manufacturer make the call to repair it , you just took all the liability upon yourself. Or did the manufacture tell you where to get it repaired ?
    First I wanted it done NOW so I can go hunting when the weather is right if ever. I also discussed this with the manufacture before I did the repair and have also sent pictures etc. to them for their input and approvel. I also live 160 miles from the dealer and honestly it would take more time to drive to Anchorage to deliver the boat and than return to pick it up. So I just fixed it myself. At least I know it was done right.

whatablast,

I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. The type of information you have provided other Kingsiher owners is what makes these forums worthwhile.

Doug

You have a PM.... I would love to see the photos.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Thank you very much for the post! The tone of you post and the information provided are valued on this forum.

I'd ask that you post the pictures on this thread so anyone visiting the thread can see what you are talking about. If you don't wish to do that, I'll send you a PM requesting the photos. I just got back from a hunting trip where my boat saw some bad weather, and I'm planning on going through the boat with a fine tooth comb because I heard a sound that I've never heard before........and I need to try and ID what it was. The fuel tank mounts will get a close inspection at that time.

Thanks again!

For those that are interested in seeing picture please click this link: http://gandsconstruction.net/Boat/Index.html
    I would like to hear what others find.
    Any questions please feel free to send me a PM.

I finally got around to pulling the aft deck to inspect my fuel tank, and while I don't have any broken mounts, I did have some problems. Of the eight bolts in the aft mounts (4 bolts high and 4 bolts low), I found 4 bolts that were loose. The worst find was both lower bolts on the port mount were loose.....I'm talking baaaad loose. The outboard bolt took 3-5 full turns to tighten it, and the inboard bolt had never been even close to being tight. The nylon locking nut was a full 1/2" from bottoming out. I suspect the installers got lazy because it's hard to get on the nut to tighten the bolt. Because it had been sitting loose the threads on the bolt were totally ruined. I replaced the bolt. You can see it as the shiny bolt head in the picture from above.

Here's a picture from the side of the port mount before I fixed it.

I also found one of the hose clamps on one of the fuel hoses wasn't as tight as I'd like, and one of the two hose clamps that holds the fill hose onto the tank was stripped. When I checked it for tightness, the gear jumped the groove on the clamp. It got replaced too.

Also recommend others check the 5 screws that hold the round sending unit plate onto the center/top of the tank. I saw just a little discoloration on the surface of the tank to the aft of the sending unit, which I took to be a sign that a smidgeon of gas found its way out under this sending unit plate. The 5 screws needed to be snugged up a little.

I don't think any of these things would have been catastrophic, but in time the port mount may have broken from fatigue. And even though the starboard mount was tight enough to hold, it too may have problems if it was left to hold all the weight of the tank.

Thanks again whatablast for posting your problem. I have a peace of mind now after inspecting and fixing.

I think were missing something on those brackets.
    Like a SIDE PLATE/STIFFENER

Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    I think were missing something on those brackets.
    Like a SIDE PLATE/STIFFENER
    I would agree...that mount is pathetic...that`s scares me. Should either be gusseted or or bent from flat stock...those butt welds are rediculous.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff