Thread: Another "How big is it" thread

Default Another "How big is it" thread

From the Russian River in June. How big?

Looks like a typical sow black bear to me. Narrow, long head. I would guess she would square close to six foot.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Bear sure looks long and lanky but head looks smallish, no crease in forehead, ears close together looking. I'm no expert, but I'll guess 5'11" hide, 17.5" skull. Did you harvest him, you have the actual measurements?

I am new to bear hunting over bait, just trying to get an idea on what I should be looking for.

She was feeding on fish waste next to the river. I was fishing for first run reds, and fishing was slow so I took pictures instead.

If she didn't have cubs and came into my bait, she would be a shooter.

Bigrob. Good question. I am no expert on bear biology, but I will share what has worked for me over the years. First of all, if I am close enough, I try to get a look at the ears. Apparently, (or so I have been told) bears ears stop growing early on, so you can get a pretty good relative size of the bear by looking at how big its ears are in relation to its head. In the case of the bear in your picture, I would say the ears are fairly tall. Based on that, I would say this bear is average at best (about a 5 ft bear). The other indicator I look for is how broad the shoulders are, how stocky the bear is and the size of its belly. Generally speaking, the stockier and the bigger bodied the bear, the bigger the bear. However, diet, sex, and coat condition can also be related to how stocky the bear looks. I personally have seen black bears get shot that were heavy and had the appearance of being a large bear before they were shot, but once on the ground, only square out as a 5 ft bear. Boars are typically bigger bodied than sows, and sows usually have a more rounded, tapered head shape, whereas boars have more of a blocky head and broader shoulders. A well fed bear in the fall that has been gorging on a diet rich in salmon and blueberries can have the appearance of being bigger than he or she really is. And lastly, there is coat condition. If a bear's coat is full and not rubbed, then it has a tendency to look bigger than he or she really is. In the case of the bear in the picture, I would say this bear is an average sow or possibly an immature boar. If I were looking for a trophy bear, I would pass on this bear. It is average size at best, very skinny and malnourished, probably infested with parasites (trichinosis worms), and the hide looks mangy.

Here's a link to some info from the Bear Baiting course online:

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...ing.bearchoice