Thread: Trouble with steering

Default Trouble with steering

I have a fiberglass 22' cuddy with a 200 hp yamaha outboard. When I go underpower it starts to pull to the right, as I increase power it gets harder to hold straight to the point that I have to back off to keep control of the boat. It is cable type steering. Has anyone had similar trouble and what did you do to fix it? I do have trim tabs and adjusting them helps a little. Can anyone recomend a boat mech with this kind of experience?

Have you checked the lower unit of your engine to see if that little vertical tab behind the prop is still in place? It is the one that is supposed to compensate for prop torque. It should be adjustable and may have come loose and fallen off.

Other option is to replace your steering cable with a "zero feedback" type system.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Yes I have adjusted the skag both directions, there is so much torque that it does not have any effect. As far as I know everything else seems to be in place.

Is this a new problem, or is the boat new to you? If the boat is new to you, they may have not put the appropriate steering controls on it for that powerful of a motor. They usually aren't too hard to change and run about $200-300 online. We just replaced one last summer on a 17' skiff (ran about 13' of cable to the console) and I think it was about $170 shipped.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default does it get easier if

you trim the motor up? I bought my steering from dewies for my twin high thrust 50's. works great. if i let go it will pull but steers like a dream. once trimmed up on step it has no pull at all, no counter rotating either. sounds like your steering might just be shot, for some reason? who knows. might be an easy fix or just a place to start. how old is your boat and steering? all i can say is dewies steering set up is nice.

Default Steering

My 150 HP had older steering and finally went out on me. It used to pull a bit, if I let go the steering wheel it would turn faster than I was comfortable with. Accident waiting to happen!!! When I changed it out I went with the "no feed back system" and there is NO pull at all. It steers like a dream, where you point it, straight or turns it stays steady and true. Does not wear you out after a day of boating.

I believe most cable steering units are rated up to a max of 150 hp. I'd spring for upgrading to hydraulic steering and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I believe most cable steering units are rated up to a max of 150 hp. I'd spring for upgrading to hydraulic steering and be done with it.
    Either that or a dual cable system, although I went with a hydraulic system. I will install it this spring. I'm looking forward to that.