Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Whittier History (a whittier bashing thread)

  1. #1
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default Whittier History (a whittier bashing thread)

    Does anybody remember the fuel nazi that was the proprietor of the fuel dock in the 70's and early 80's? He was a firecracker named Peterson. He had a redheaded son that eventually took over the place. Anyway the 1st time I ever pulled up to get fuel I was 17 at the time and I had run from Cordova to Whittier and was on fumes in my 24' bowpicker, the redheaded kid tied me up and handed me the nozzle. I couldn't find my fuel key to get my cap off and asked the kid if they had one, the old man bellows GAWD &@#^ and runs out of the shack and tells the kid to cut me loose. I'm going uh what the heck? He screams NO FUEL FOR YOU! come back tomorrow when you're prepared you stupid dam kid! The funny thing is Wally Hickle was tied up getting fuel and he said, hey, the kid can use my fuel key, old man Peterson screamed to the redhead, shut his pump off! NO FUEL FOR YOU! You come back tomorrow! I think of that operation and lmao! Its still hilarious when me and my friends talk about those days. One other funny thing is the old man had this employee that was like a poster boy for Whittier misfits, I forget his name but he had these grotesque fingernails that were long and curly like Eddie Munters except they were thick and yellow. They were so long, he would have to put your receipt in his mouth and grab it w/ the back of his knuckles to rip the carbon copy off haha. Really when you think about Whittier hasn't really come too far.





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  2. #2

    Default

    I remember when they sold the town, I bought two tracts of land and sold them at a huge profit.

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    5,639

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    . . Really when you think about Whittier hasn't really come too far.
    When my wife thinks about it, Whittier has come a long way since she was there as a young girl in 1957.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage and Seward
    Posts
    506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    When my wife thinks about it, Whittier has come a long way since she was there as a young girl in 1957.
    Yeah, they painted Begich Towers so it doesn't look so much like a gulag! Things went downhill when the state took over the railroad and did away with the bar car.

  5. #5
    Member akblackdawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    1,456

    Default

    Why do you think the residents are commenly refered to as "Whitti-idiots", lot of inbreeding going on there. Bud
    Wasilla

  6. #6
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default more strange history

    The more I think about it, the guy that runs the parking lot used to be the city mayor at the same time he was the conductor that loaded the walk-ons on the train. The ironic (fishy) thing is, the RR (state) owns the land and leases it to the parking lot people. I'm sure for near nothing. It costs $460.00 to park your boat trailer for the season. Legislative inquiry? I think yes.
    Marcus the only change that Whittier has gone through is the tony knowles memorial tunnel, and that didn't change the Whittiots it changed the sound. I know my backside changed colors after the Whittier fire chief brought me and my friend down to the boat and he reported to my dad that thanks to us there are no more windows in the 1st 3 floors of the Buckner building.





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  7. #7

    Default

    Whittier's secrets remain deep inside the surrounding mountain. The two times I have been in there have left me stunned. Some of America's finest steel is safely stored in cosmoline there.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  8. #8
    Member pacific23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Whitesboro, Texas
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Whittier's secrets remain deep inside the surrounding mountain. The two times I have been in there have left me stunned. Some of America's finest steel is safely stored in cosmoline there.
    Small boxes, BIG boxes ????? and does the man still keep a eye on them ?

  9. #9

    Default

    .

    pacific23, please tell me all about the boat in your signature line. It looks awesome. Thanks.

    /hijack.

    -Voyageur

    .

  10. #10

    Wink Boxes

    Quote Originally Posted by pacific23 View Post
    Small boxes, BIG boxes ????? and does the man still keep a eye on them ?
    BIG and small, some on wheels. They are secure!!!
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  11. #11
    Member coho slayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,852

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    The more I think about it, the guy that runs the parking lot used to be the city mayor at the same time he was the conductor that loaded the walk-ons on the train. The ironic (fishy) thing is, the RR (state) owns the land and leases it to the parking lot people. I'm sure for near nothing. It costs $460.00 to park your boat trailer for the season. Legislative inquiry? I think yes.
    Marcus the only change that Whittier has gone through is the tony knowles memorial tunnel, and that didn't change the Whittiots it changed the sound. I know my backside changed colors after the Whittier fire chief brought me and my friend down to the boat and he reported to my dad that thanks to us there are no more windows in the 1st 3 floors of the Buckner building.
    Aha! You are responsible for taking away my fun when I was 13....there wasn't much left to break.

    I miss the train rides through the tunnel. I used to boat there a lot when I was about 12-14 with a friend's family. We'd throw their Bayliner on the train and have a good weekend. To save money, my friend's dad would let us hide out in the boat on the train. We had to lay low until after railroad security checked for stowaways, and then we'd climb out and enjoy the ride through the tunnel, then at the other end we'd have to hide again while they off-loaded the vehicles and trailers.

    Overall, in the last 30 years, Whittier has changed very, very little. And when it does, it's very slow. I think that's so the people that live there can have time to adapt to the changes. I don't know what they are doing to the harbor, but they managed to close half the launch, the harbormaster office, and a good portion of the parking for the entire summer and as far as I could tell they didn't actually get anything done.

  12. #12
    Member pacific23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Whitesboro, Texas
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Voyageur, it's a Pacific28 with a 10' beam and I think that one went to Kodiak Lodge.
    More info. at www.pacificboats.com
    Hull is 5086 .250 plate

  13. #13
    Member pacific23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Whitesboro, Texas
    Posts
    534

    Default

    Here is a bare bones 26 with a small pilot house ready for more rigging...
    Attached Images Attached Images

  14. #14

    Default

    Since the topic is Whittier, does anyone know what happened to the F/V Tradition?

  15. #15
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default

    My in-laws (Snug Harbor Seafood’s) bought it from the City. Towed it to their Kenai Dock and dragged it up on shore. They plan to re-fit it with new wiring and electronics; their mechanic has to two mains stripped in preparation for a rebuild. I believe it will be outfitted as a tender and long liner. You may see it back in Prince William Sound next summer.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


  16. #16
    Member fullbush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    My in-laws (Snug Harbor Seafood’s) bought it from the City. Towed it to their Kenai Dock and dragged it up on shore. They plan to re-fit it with new wiring and electronics; their mechanic has to two mains stripped in preparation for a rebuild. I believe it will be outfitted as a tender and long liner. You may see it back in Prince William Sound next summer.
    Tell them to becareful that thing has stability issues unless its tanked down. They used to tie to the pilings when they pumped the tank.





    I'm taking a poll
    <--------click this star if you think I should run for Gov

  17. #17
    Member breausaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    830

    Default

    Sent you a PM
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •