Thread: Ideas for tiller handle quick release?

Default Ideas for tiller handle quick release?

During my Yukon trip I was on a smaller river in a section that was fast gravel riffle with only one deep line right beside the river bank while having to make a very sharp left hand turn at the top of the riffle. We tried it once, and was loaded too heavy. I eventually downloaded the lady, dog, and my son which probably relieved the boat of 330 lbs or so. That was easier than downloading all the supplies. With fuel cached at the mouth of the river, and the three of em out of the boat, my weight was probably right around 1,400 lbs.

As I got up speed with the side of my canoe bouncing against the river bank, I hit the fast gravel riffle that was only about 6 inches deep. I grounded out, and started dragging back down the riffle towards some sweepers. I jumped out of the boat scrambling to pull the boat away from the sweepers. In the process, my tiller handle came out of the carabiner tied to my seat with mountaineering webbing. All the weight of the heavily loaded canoe, leveraged the prop against a large rock, turned the boat sideways in front of me, and then leveraged against my knees with me down river of the boat. All I could do was jump in the boat and try to start the motor. I lost my spruce pole, and a paddle in the process. I just barely started the motor to get away from the sweepers. During the mad scramble, I also ripped the wires off my emergency kill switch.

I'm trying to brainstorm about a secure "quick release" mechanism that has one end attached to the tiller handle, and the other end tied to the piece of mountaineering webbing around my seat, that way there, my motor will never be abused like that again. All ideas are welcome!

On my third run, I ran the motor full throttle and trimmed to the water's surface. I held onto the tiller handle as best I could while the skeg bashed over rocks. I made it to the next deep pool, and loaded the lady,kid, and dog back in the boat. Although not certain, I think that all the weight of the heavily loaded boat leveraging down on the skeg and prop, and racking it sideways at a fairly fast speed, cracked a couple spot welds on my shaft housing. Had I thought of a better way to secure the tiller and keep the motor out of the water, that abuse wouldn't have happened. I was lucky, as the only damage was two spot welds that didn't matter and we ran at least 200 miles of river. We got a tig welder to buzz a couple spots for free. The wires were an easy fix as I had a plethora of electrical connectors in my repair kit. No damage to the prop.

what you need is a motor with a " F, N, R," it would work much better than a motor that is in gear all the time [forward ]
    thoes direct drive motors are great on big water but it can be hell on small water,
    Like when runnung next to the bank, most of the time you are going slow, so you can tilt the tiller handel up an still steer,
    you rig,
    your prop is SS , it is hard to break or bend that type of prop, you just wear it down on the rocks, sand, mud

but it sound like you had a good trip even with the small trouble in that stream , see you on the water

my 2cts SID "

If I correctly understand what you're seeking, try the following link to Coldspot Feeds in Fairbanks. These quick releases are used for restraining dogteams, large and small, so they are strong. The last three, as I recall, are actually marine hardware, primarily for sailing. And they work well for mushing snub lines.

http://www.coldspotfeeds.com/index.php?cPath=25_48

bingo, I knew I'd heard/seen them before, I just didn't know what to search for. We used something similar to them as a quick release for a machine gunner's seat. If we were to roll the vehicle, one of us was to pull a quick release almost identical to that one so the gunner could drop down into the gun truck, in our case, a caiman MRAP, and that would take up the slack in his seat belt that buckled to his harness and kept him from getting thrown around.

Thanks for the lead, there probably wouldn't be a better and safer way to secure your tiller handle when you had to jump out of the boat in a hurry. The 23 dollar one would be perfect.

A quick release such as those are what I had in mind, my wife has one on her ski-joring harness. I was in Lowes just the other day and happened to notice one hanging on display with all of the other "latch" type hardware.