Thread: Question on bait with mold

Default Question on bait with mold

Ok since its been slow and we still have 6 months till we can hunt thought I would ask do you guys think your bait with mold works better than bait without mold. I dont think the bears care either way.

The guy that got me into baiting said they don't like moldy bread. I don't know if theres any truth to that

They may not like it however, they eat a ton of my moldy bread last year...

I have been baiting bears since the mid 90's.
    What I have found is that bears PREFER fresh breads, meats, fats, etc.
    However, once you have an active bait site and bears are feeding heavily, they will paw through and eat moldy breads.
    The reason I threw meat in there is I baited with meat scraps for years. I used a locking lid drum. I would pull the drum lid to re-bait.
    I had a 5" X 5" square cut into the drum towards the bottom. The bait was getting hammered. I went to hunt it one weekend and pulled the lid completely off. The entire top 1" was a solid mass of maggots.
    I shot a bear off of that bait the first night. The bear came in and was lapping maggots up as fast as it could.
    I believe once bears get established on a bait they will eat nearly anything that is at the bait site.
    I am no expert on this, however, I have been doing it for many years.
    I would like to point out the meat bait was used in Idaho and I would have a great concern of drawing grizzlies with meat here.
    I have been having a problem drawing grizzlies the last several years with NO meat.
    Theres my 2 cents.

I agree with drawing giz last season we had at least 5 different grz on the bait when see started baiting the site about five years ago never had an issue with griz.

I wouldn't throw it away put it out there then let us know what the out come was. I didnt bait last last year but im going to this season. starting to learn how to shoot bows so by the time the season gets here I'll be ready to take one with a bow.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Once on the site and not having to carry moldy bait.... I personally think it works better. Seems to increase the scent trail to the bait, and sticks to their fur as they leave which will make new scent trails to your site.
    I prefer to take "fresh" stale bait into my site, but I will not Take moldy bait off till the end of the season, or the end of my hunting time.

Chris

I think it may make a difference in a heavily baited area. If there's better food at the next bait station over the bears my skip on the moldy bread. On the other hand I don't think they'll turn down rottom meat.