Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Delta Bison

Default Another Delta Bison

It was a difficult hunt, not physically but mentally, the Tatonka mess with your head. I suppose every bison hunter has a different experience but ours was not easy. Three days on the pan's and nothing not even a track. Lots of Moose a coyote and even a Grizzly but no Bison. The entire herd was migrating between the river and privet farm property. We were able to get permission from a land owner to access the herd through there property. In the next three days of stocking we were busted by: Day 1 - shifting wind, Day 2 - Snow storm, Day 3 - cracked scope ( Donít Ask!), Day 4 - browed a buddyís gun (due to a broken scope) and the Tatonka was dead. 200 yard double lung shot, not sure how long it took for him to die but it seamed like forever. It was a great hunt with lots of memories, I couldnít have done it with out my family and friends. Fish and Game estimated at 8.5-9.5 yrs old

IMG_1349 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1357 (800x600).jpg

That is awesome congrats on a beautiful animal!!!! Every hunt has its ups and downs but they are stories around a campfire in the end and memories you'll never forget!! Congrats again!

congrats thats something to proud of

Congrats on a wonderful animal. Well, you mentioned it, so I'm going to ask.......... whats the story?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Very nice, good pics too. When you're lucky enough to draw that tag you've got to do whatever it takes to make it a success! Great job

WOO-HOO, Nice looking buffalo!
    Wish I would draw that darn tag. Some fine eating for your family, congrats.
    BK

very nice animal. how many in this herd? what rifle did you use to harvest him? need any help eating that big fellow .

Nice animal! The high school I went to was called the Bisons and they had a shoulder mount of a large bull. Always impressed me how massive they can be. Like others, waiting for "the rest of the story".

Sure sounds like you had your share of issues develop glad you were able to overcome them and get a bison great looking fro on that one!

Now what happened to your scope?

Wow, he's a bruiser! Congrats on your hunt. Gotta put the time in to get one of them.

Dear Lord, please let me draw a bison permit next year! Way to go and thanks for sharing!

Awesome! It sure is an easy hunt isn't it! (Sarcastic given previous mentions by some that this is a "farm" hunt).

Friend of mine got his a few weeks ago on the Black property. Hunted 4 days and was finally able to tag his cow.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Wow, jeeper, What a Fine Animal Down
    Some Really Great pics also, thanks for including those with your story

and that's your first post here.....? Incredibly Cool

Welcome to the forums, and Congratulations
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default awsome!!

as a successful hunter also and lots of lucky I can relate!!! I am eating mine now and mmmmm so good!! Like u I will remember this challenging hunt for a life time!!!! and yes yours bigger but it's not all about the horns! CONGRATS!!

Quote Originally Posted by akjeeper View Post
    It was a difficult hunt, not physically but mentally, the Tatonka mess with your head. I suppose every bison hunter has a different experience but ours was not easy. Three days on the pan's and nothing not even a track. Lots of Moose a coyote and even a Grizzly but no Bison. The entire herd was migrating between the river and privet farm property. We were able to get permission from a land owner to access the herd through there property. In the next three days of stocking we were busted by: Day 1 - shifting wind, Day 2 - Snow storm, Day 3 - cracked scope ( Donít Ask!), Day 4 - browed a buddyís gun (due to a broken scope) and the Tatonka was dead. 200 yard double lung shot, not sure how long it took for him to die but it seamed like forever. It was a great hunt with lots of memories, I couldnít have done it with out my family and friends. Fish and Game estimated at 8.5-9.5 yrs old

IMG_1349 (1024x768).jpgIMG_1357 (800x600).jpg

Whoa!!!!!!!What a magnificent animal. Thats so cool that as Alaskans we have that as an option.

He is HUGE! You look like a pretty good sized guy, but you are dwarfed by him. Wonder how tough it was to roll him right side up for the photos? He is gorgeous. Very nice photos, hope to hear more about the hunt.
    ARR

Great job. Congrats on following through and getting it done. Really enjoyed your pics.

Thank you for all your replyís. Yes, this is my first post. Iíve been lurking around this sight for several years just havenít posted. I love all the stories and helpful resources this sigh provides.
    Iím not sure what happened with my scope. I shot a hand full of 225gr. Barns Vortex rounds through my 338 a week before my hunt and it was shooting true. Then on day 6 of my hunt I found out the hard was I was shooting 3 ft high and 2 ft to the right. Yep I missed one. After spending some time trying to adjust for windage and elevation nothing made a difference, adjustments were bottomed out and it was still shooting the same. After reading my first post I said my scope was cracked but it was just malfunctioning not physically cracked (it was late when I was posting last night.) For my last day of the hunt I had to barrow my buddies 300 short mag 200gr bullet. It did the job and did it well. There were around 100 head in the herd and we were able to get with in 200 yards just before light. It was about an hour before we had enough light to distinguish sexís. It took some patients but we finally got our shot at this bull.

I know many of you have been putting in for this tag for many years and I almost feel guilty that this was the first time I applied for it ------- Kidding it took me 20 years.

Itís a very unique hunt and we had a great time. If you ever draw this tag be sure to contact Diana Schultz she is a wealth of information.

As for the bison, Iím having a shoulder mount done, the back half of the hide tanned for a throw and the skull bleached. I already ground 150lb of burger just from the ribs and neck meat, the quarters have been hanging for 2 weeks and weíre cutting them up this weekend. Mm-mm good.
    Thanks again to my bros Arlon, Art and Al for all your help.
    I included a couple more pics. He is a big bison, but I think the camera angle in my first post makes him look like a dinosaur. Hereís a pic where Iím right up behind him.

.IMG_1347 (600x800).jpg IMG_1351 (800x600).jpg

Nice bison. This will be my 31st year of putting in for a tag. Perhaps some day I'll have a chance, too.
    A herd with 100 pairs of eyes and ears and noses must make them incredibly wary, particularly after the hunting season is in full swing. Did you wear whites? And were you able to use sno-gos/4wheelers/trucks or was the hunt, by necessity, on foot?

Nice looking animal! Congrats, and enjoy your bounty, its delicious
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast