Thread: Range report: KKM barrel in Glock 20 (10mm)...

Default Range report: KKM barrel in Glock 20 (10mm)...

Got my Glock 20 a new barrel from KKM and tried it out today at the range. In short, this is an exceptional upgrade from the factory barrel. The accuracy is notably improved. The shot dispersion is considerably smaller for this shooter compared to using the stock Glock barrel.

I have shot 600-700 rounds through my stock G20 so I am hardly an accomplished 10 mm shooter. Mostly 200 and 230 gr Double Tap as I bought this gun for a woods gun. Ran some 180 gr Remington UMC through it as well and that is what I used today in the new KKM barrel. Not premium ammo by most standards, but 150 rounds went flawlessly through the KKM. I suspect a custom tailored reload and practice will result in even tighter grouping. Immediately upon shooting this KKM barrel today I understand what the fuss is about.

Sorry for the crap images, I used my cell phone as I was rushed for time.

This is what you get...

Out with the old, in with the new...

Chamber support and feeding ramp shot...

Snug as a bug in a rug...

My reward for donating $165 to the KKM fund. 15 shots off hand from 10 yards...

-Dan

Dan,
    I think you are partially to blame for causing envy. Upon reading one of your posts a couple weeks back I took the plunge with barrel, ghost ring, & wolf guide rod & spring. I've made it out to the range & will do its part if I do mine. With the new rod & spring it tosses the 230 & 200 gr double tap casings two benches over.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What the ghost ring looks like with the flash off, next time I will try & hold the camera better & through the sight rather than over it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. I got some new sights myself, but have not put them on yet.

Went with the XS Sights 24/7 Express Sight...

I'm also interested in the stock length KKM for my G20. When you get a chance let us know how it groups at 25 and 50 yards with the 200 and 230 DP's on a rest. Money for a good cause!!

Quote Originally Posted by 450 ktm View Post
    I'm also interested in the stock length KKM for my G20.

Found a good reason for you to do so today while reading on Glocktalk.

Glock Kabooms seem more common than I realized.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1381518

Dan,
    Thanks for the link. I'll order a KKM as soon as I have time to figure which spring and guide rods to order at the same time.
    BTW I really like the Trijicon sights on the G20.

I got the stainless captured ISMI rod and 20 lb ISMI spring from MidwayUSA. Works well with the 200 gr Double Tap and 180 gr Remington UMC. If shooting 200-230 gr DT all the time, I might go up one spring weight. Likely a good idea to get 2-3 springs and experiment a bit with the loads you intend to shoot. A local gunsmith is putting my XS sights (dot on a stick) and dropping a 3.5 lb connector in. Picking it up later today. The KKM barrel, upgraded rod/spring, and sights should round out this G20 nicely.

The only other thing I plan to do is polish the internal. A "25 cent trigger job" as most call it. The Glock Store (website) has some good videos I had recommended to me. "rock your glock" shows lots of mods, including the 25 cent trigger job. "the complete glock dvd" (or similar) shows lots of images and helps with breakdown, putting together, among other stuff. Lots of eye candy on that site. Also, Glockmeister and Rock Your Glock are sites I heard about on Glock Talk. Tons of ways to spend money on your Glock, that is for certain.

CCW refinishing has a 2 week turn around for $79 slide refinish deal going. Sending my slide in for their teflon impregnated nickel finish. Got this pic from CCW the other day.

-Dan

Dan, I called KKM yesterday and found out they have both 6" and 4.6" barrels in stock. GlockStore says that my 4.6" will ship on the 25th. I wish I had just ordered directly from KKM.

I got the 22lb Tungsten spring and rod combo, and it fits nicely: http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...ks/?mode=image

I just ordered a 6" KKM (from KKM) just for fun, and I ordered the C-MORE STS tactical sight to top it off: http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...ts/?mode=image

I got one of these to carry it: http://glockstore.com/pgroup_descrip...er/?mode=image

Can't wait until I get all this stuff, then I'll have some brass to send you.

Default comparisons

It would be interesting to see the same photos with some sectioned cases in place - then we could see how much of the thin portion of the case above the web was unsupported.

It would also be interesting to see 1911 and S&W 10mm barrels side by side with the Glock. I have a AMT 10mm I'll try and dig out and post a picture if I can get a good close up.

While we on the subject of unsupported case heads in barrels - photo comparisons of the .460 Rowland and .45 ACP barrels would be interesting.

Also - does Wolf or any other Russian outfits make steel cases 10mm ammo? if so - that would be the "brass' to reload. Even the weakest steel is much stronger than the best brass.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Found a good reason for you to do so today while reading on Glocktalk.

Glock Kabooms seem more common than I realized.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1381518

Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Marinehawk,

That Glock of yours is going to be sweet. Had some fun at the range this evening. Man, that KKM barrel rocks. One jagged hole from 7 yards. The 3.5 lb connector made a heck of a difference as well. Just picked it up from the gunsmith today on the way to the range. The XS sights are BAD AZZ. Very accurate and fast target acquisition. I was concerned about accuracy at distance, but my 17 yards groups were tighter than the groups from my Delta Elite (3 dots). The Delta Elite is very accurate so this was surprising. At longer distances, perhaps the XS will fall off, but anything out to 20 yards is dead nuts.

-Dan

Thanks for the feedback Dan. Where did you get the 3.5 lb connector?

Local gunsmith had one laying around when I took my gun in to have the XS Sights installed. Don't know much about them. Well, other than the fact the put special juju in my gun. Holy cow man, what a difference it made. Doing the internal polishing while the slide is being refinished at CCW in Tenn then this sucker will be done. Nothing else to do but shoot and enjoy. A vastly improved weapon compared to stock. I am sure you will have the same opinion when yours is put together. Looking forward to hearing about it.

-Dan

Dan, I am still waiting on the STS sight and the 4.6" barrel. But I got the 6" KKM today. I'm going to shoot it soon with the stock sights and the 22lb tungsten spring.

I shot two boxes through the 6" KKM (with the 22-lb tungsten captive spring and rod) today. I shot one box of the BB 200gr FMJ FN rounds, one box of the BB 180gr HPs, and a few DT 200gr HCs. I had no failures to fire and was getting 3" groups with all at 50-ft offhand. I wonder what it will do from a rest. I was at a public range, so I could not chrono them yet. You can easily tell (consistent with the published chrono results I've seen) that the 180gr BB loads clearly are the hottest, though they are not uncomfortable to shoot. I fired the rounds from a full magazine to make sure they work that way, and they did. I assume I'm getting about 1,400 fps out of the long barrel (maybe 800 ft-lbs) based on what others are saying and this: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/10mm.html
    Those 180gr are what I'm taking black bear and deer hunting starting tomorrow. Though I would only use the G20SF if the right situation presents, as I am also bringing my .340 Wby Accumark which shoots with NASA-like precision, and shoots only about 5.9" low at 350 yds (and with 2,515 fps/3,160 ft-lbs) when sighted in to peak at 3" high. At 50 yds, I was getting 3-shot groups that made one hole just under an inch high.

Good luck hunting man. You have the right toys for the job. No doubt.