Thread: How to Hunt Bull Moose After The Rut (MT)

Default How to Hunt Bull Moose After The Rut (MT)

I am asking this question for my father who was able to draw a moose tag in MT this year. He wasn't able to connect during the rut but still has the month of NOV to hunt. Obviously this is a different species of Moose than we have in AK but I was wondering if anyone has any ideas of what might work or any post-rut strategies for bulls. I searched the archives and found a lot of stuff about late season cows but nothing on bulls. Thanks for any help

Bo
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

I would start with some calls to the local game biologist to find out where the moose likely are as I imagine they move to some sort of "winter" range. There are probably some taxidermy shops, gun stores etc in the area that may give up some good tips on location. After that I assume there is enough snow cover to find tracks - if they are leaving tracks they are close by for sure...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

He has talked to the biologist, and everyone else that he knows who has previously drawn the tag. The problem is all of them tagged out during the rut. This year it was still in the 80's-90's during the normal rut time. The biologist said that they will come in to calling even after the rut. Is this correct? He has only been able to locate cows and calves, no luck on bulls yet. The temp has finally dropped but still no snow yet.
    "No battle plan ever survives first contact with the enemy" - Unknown
    Literal Translation:
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face" - Mike Tyson

There are always some cows that didn't take or were missed. I think the bios call this second esterous or something like that. That means that a bull will still naturally respond to cow calls even if it's after the main rut. Of course, it's not going to work in December, but I bet right now is not out of the question.

I have called in bulls in Ontario after the rut - they are not as aggressive, but often slip in quiet for a look if your on your toes.
    It is sure worth a try but I am guessing spot and stalk will be more the norm. Those bulls will be pretty worn down and not wanting to travel too far for love - will likely stay close to heavy cover and a food source. A open running stream in the area may bear fruit if its near a food source, which it should be.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....