Thread: Has any one used Gillie Suit For Bowhunting

Default Has any one used Gillie Suit For Bowhunting

Any one used the old gillie suit for bow hunting with any success

Itís tough to do without prep, what i have found that if the threads are too long they will interfere with the bow. I use something a bit diff, it is of a leafy wear type pattern which makes it much easer to move and draw a bow.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by weseod View Post
    Any one used the old gillie suit for bow hunting with any success
    I think Rambo might have? not sure......

Release Lake Trout

All the guys in the Hualalai Archery club use them for hunting sheep on the Big Island and love em.

I used one for whitetail hunting years ago, I'd spray it with scent killer and sit by the trails. Deer came right up in my grill I had to wrap my forearm with a long cord to keep the string from catching.

The full length Gillie suits usually snag everything while trying to stalk. Those are good for sit and wait only for the most part. I've tried to use them up north and got pretty frustrated with it. I still have two suits, and haven't used them in 8+ years now. Maybe they would make a good Halloween outfit.

I have to tell you about a guy we watched stalk some bulls this past August. We called him the arctic panther, My hunting partner and I were watching these 2 bulls from the Sag looking across towards the road when we spotting something dark crawling and slithering along the tundra, I swear it looked like a big cat, we put the binos on it and sure enough a hunter in a gillie suit, now this guy crawled for almost an hour and he seemed to move so smoothly that it shocked my partner and I he would crawl back and forth really not blending in at all I mean you can see him from a mile away. I do give him credit i would have been smoked crawling that far. Long story short is he didnt get a shot terrain diidnt afford him the opportunity to get close. USE TERRAIN TO GET CLOSE.......

heres mine- have only used the head and top- with success
    "f/64 and be there"

I have never used one but have been thinking about making a couple that way I can control how they match the area I'll be hunting and the amount strings so I can still shoot my bow. The one thing I have used is I bought a cheap rain parka from walmart and tied a bunch of jute twine on it. That way I can tie on what ever I want to match the area I am in and also keep me dry.

I have a 100+hr top made from jute twine with canvas sliders , it a cold weather woodland top and havent used it in years... its a pain to get it cleaned and ready between different hunting/stalking areas

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.