Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt Delta Elite 10mm....

Default Colt Delta Elite 10mm....

My buddy and I were heading to the range to shoot some pistols today and all of a sudden, the sky got dark and it began to rain pretty hard. We decided to ride to a gun store about 20 miles away with hopes of shooting guns afterwards if the rain died down a bit. I walk into the shop and what do I see on the top shelf? Could it be? Just last night I was digging around online for info on manufacturers of 10mm pistols aside from Glock (I have a G20). I found out Colt and Kimber make one, although very difficult to find at times.

There in front of me today is the Colt Delta Elite 10 mm. I bought it immediately and went shooting. The gun is day and night from my G20 (that I love). Apples and oranges. No real value to this post, just excited. Almost seemed like fate. I first heard of this gun yesterday, then due to bad weather find it today. The guy at the gun shop said folks had already been calling and emailing about the Colt. Guess it wasn't going to be on the shelf long. Shot 100 rounds of Rem UMC 180 gr today with flawless feeding and stellar accuracy. I was all smiles. This gun is also my first 1911 as well. I can see it won't be the last.

I am so glad it rained today

Dan

While still just a cell phone pic, below is a better image...

Well, the first 30 rounds from 10 yards impressed the heck out of me. This is my first 1911 and a new gun so I will have to get used to it. Mix that with mist on my glasses from the rain, accuracy seemed very good. The gun is capable of much better obviously. But for my skill level, this was exceptional accuracy. I pulled a few down low, but most the shots had pretty tight dispersion. Most importantly, it was FUN. The feel of that 1911 trigger was a new experience for me. Like finding a long lost friend.

Buddy of mine bought one of these when they first came out and I got to shoot it. Absolutely awesome! I think it was back in 1990 or so. I can see, though, why law enforcement came out with the 40 S&W. The 10mm is a hand cannon. Looks like you got a good price on your gun. Congratulations!

Sounds like you have been bitten by the 1911 bug! They are a very well designed and functional weapon. Most can not stop at one. You can currently get them in 9mm, 38 super, 40 S&W, 10mm, 45 acp, 50 GI, and several custom offerings like 45 super, 460 rowland, and a few others I'm sure. Congratulations on your fine new Colt!

I had one and enjoyed it alot but a heck of a deal took it from me. Don't know if its realy needed but I replaced recoil springs around every 150 shots and used a Wilson shock buffer changed every 500 rounds,zero battering.The first 10mm ammo was hotter from the big makers at the start.Hard to believe so many could not handle the recoil so the 40 soon followed
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Well I too was looking for 10mm handguns, mostly revolvers. Ruger made one, limited run on a single action platform. Mostly is has a conversion cylinder. But kinda neat and my see one in my near future. Also word of guys converting the ruger gp100, kinda spendy though. Lighter than the S&W revolver though, even the ruger single action is.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I had one and enjoyed it alot but a heck of a deal took it from me. Don't know if its realy needed but I replaced recoil springs around every 150 shots and used a Wilson shock buffer changed every 500 rounds,zero battering.The first 10mm ammo was hotter from the big makers at the start.Hard to believe so many could not handle the recoil so the 40 soon followed
    Would something like this make the recoil spring last longer?: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/857...lb-extra-power

I believe the ones I used were 26# and the heaviest out there at the time.The 28# I would think should give at least another 50 rounds or so.I don't know for sure my springs were bad when I changed them but at the cost of ammo and frame if battered it was cheap insurance for me at the time.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

150 rounds is nothing. I have a friend with a Delta Elite and 7000 rounds out of it now. He changes his springs every 1000 rounds and uses the Wilson buffers. No frame battering at all. He uses 23# springs. This issue with heavier springs is that they buffer the slide coming back but accelerate the slide going forward wearing out the link,pin and barrels lower lug sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    Well I too was looking for 10mm handguns, mostly revolvers. Ruger made one, limited run on a single action platform. Mostly is has a conversion cylinder. But kinda neat and my see one in my near future. Also word of guys converting the ruger gp100, kinda spendy though. Lighter than the S&W revolver though, even the ruger single action is.

The Smith 610 is on my wish list...
    http://www.gunblast.com/SW-610.htm

Congrats on the new shooter...I`d be dang`d excited too.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post
    Haven't they already dropped that model? They still have the 310 night guard I think.

Quote Originally Posted by AK2AZ View Post

Congrats on the new shooter...I`d be dang`d excited too.
    not knocking your choice buy why not a .41 mag? More power and you dont need those silly moon clips

Congrats on the purchase!

In the mid '80's I was a FFL dealer. Bren Ten went out of business but their 10mm was a hard hitting round and, any way you shake it, just plain cool. I remember the early advertisements saying you could use the 10mm to crack engine blocks (stop fleeing criminals), hunt wild boar with it, or the reduced power for law enforcement use. Early Miami Vice shows had Don Johnson running around with a Bren Ten. I and many other FFL dealers participated in a letter writing campaign to multiple firearm manufacturers asking them to start producing their version of a 10mm. If I recall correctly Springfield Armory Omega System hit the wholesale distributors at just about the same time as the blued Delta Elite. About 6 months after the blued Delta Elite came out, the stainless one was released (1987-88?)...I got one. I think I paid about $480 (???) for wholesale price to dealers and it retailed in the mid 600's. My serial # is low, 00023XX. For a few years the 10mm following fell off and it's future looked bleak....but....it's back and going strong now!

I take my Delta Elite out of my safe and shoot it about one-time a year simply for the nostalgia of it. Love that thing. That is the only handgun that I will never get rid of. Danattherock, you have one fine piece of handgun
    history.

MyTime

http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id56.html
    http://www.bren-ten.com/website/

Interesting post, thanks man. Loving the Delta Elite and already got some big plans for it. Trigger job, beavertail, fine bead blast, 30 lpi checkering on front strap, custom DE grips, etc.. I love this gun, just plan on loving it more. ha ha.. That is one cool thing about a 1911, tons of ways to fix them up. Trick is doing it properly. Almost too many options out there for custom work. Makes it hard to pick out exactly what I want to do with the gun. A bit of a double edged sword. In the meantime, looking forward to putting many rounds down range with it. Tomorrow I am off work and plan to shoot 300 rounds. Can't wait.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    not knocking your choice buy why not a .41 mag? More power and you dont need those silly moon clips
    Fairly simple reasons...I like 10mm over .41...my CC is a 10 and have lots of ammo. The 610 would be a house gun, and for bear protection I step up to the 600gr. class ammo.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Haven't they already dropped that model? They still have the 310 night guard I think.
    It`s back...was discontinued until the 10mm kicked back in on the market. I haven`t checked for the last couple months though.

Heavy Hitter Fishing

This reminds me that I have a Colt DE 10mm race gun stowed in the gun cabinet. Since I bought it I've shot it one time. It was set up too stiff to cycle w/ factory ammo, so just set it aside for the time being. I had a SW 1006 prior to that which I liked, and sold, now occasionally kick myself over. Picked up a Glock 20 which I've shot a bit and like ok, maybe not as much as the Smith though.
    I don't know diddly about changing out springs, but find it hard to believe a gun needs new ones at 150 rounds. Just seems if needed that they did something wrong designing it. I wish I had the all the original parts as the mods make the gun a bit long to carry around, but oh well, I'll figure out something.
    ARR

Most folks suggest changing springs every 5k round it seems.

A common theme at any rate from what I have read/heard.

So how did the range time go for you?

MyTime

Spent the last few days mountain biking and fly fishing in the Smoky Mountains (western NC) and have not shot any. Will get out today or tomorrow and put some rounds downrange. The only thing about the gun I don't like is the hammer cutting into my hand. A nice fitted beavertail is high on the list of mods. Likely sending the gun to Robar soon for beavertail, NP3 finish to barrel slide and internals, and a trigger job.

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast