Thread: Large Nationwide Seller of Sporting Goods Shipped Wrong Primers! AARrrgghh!

Default Large Nationwide Seller of Sporting Goods Shipped Wrong Primers! AARrrgghh!

Couple weeks ago I started checking on the 'net for Federal Small Rifle Match AR primers to stoke my new Winnie brass with. Grafs was out, and every place that had them would not ship to Alaska. This leaves (a large nationwide seller of sporting goods) in Anchorage, they WILL ship to the Bush. I called them the guy said he had many cases of them, and had already shipped that morning, eleven (11) cases out to some guy in a village. I made sure I said "okay, we are talking about Federal Small Rifle Match A-R (I am spelling out the "A" and "R"), primers for the AR-15, not regular match primers", to which the fellow enthusiastically told me he knew what I was talking about. I felt I could wait a week or so to see if any would come in at Grafs.

Couple days ago I checked Grafs again and found no Federal Small Rifle Match AR primers in stock. Called
    (a large nationwide seller of sporting goods) in Anchorage and guy said he had lots, still. Okay.

Yesterday I decided to order a case of 5k and I specifically stated "Federal Small Rifle Match A-R primers", and reiterated these are the special primers for the AR, guy told me he had them, said "ok I'll go get them off the shelf and get this going". Called back a few minutes later to say he had 3 boxes of 1k, not a whole case like he thought, but he might locate some more, could I wait a couple hours as he had just been called to a managers meeting"? I said "sure". Hour and a half later he calls to tell me "I've located another two boxes of those Federal primers, they were hiding behind some other brand of primer." I again asked him if the order would now total "5k Federal Small Rifle Match A-R (I am spelling out the "A" and "R" primers")? He said "yes". So I gave my CC number.

Today they are up at the airport. I go get them and come home to find......they are Federal Small Rifle Match primers. Plain jane, not the AR primers with the harder cup to prevent slam-fires. FECES! Also, the guy DID NOT find "two boxes", he found an additional 20 boxes of 100, which would be fine, but he charged $4.79 per hundred rather than $4.29 per hundred which is what they cost in the big box.

So now I am sitting on 5k primers I am wary of using. How much did this cost? With the additional box of CCI Large Rifle Benchrest primers for my .223 WSSM: $381.70 total.

So wrong primers and overcharged $10.00 too.

What do I do?

If I raise a giant stink, I could, all by myself, help the management at
    (a large nationwide seller of sporting goods) decide to stop shipping to the Bush which would be a disaster. But I cannot send them back as I am not certificated for HAZMAT.

Your opinions welcome.
    I know I am going to own them now, but what should I do/say/how far to push it?

WOW! Called the manager at the place and explained the above. He immediately told me he'd refund my money, and I could do with the primers as I wished. He also told me he'd do his best to get the special AR primers in for me. Talk about instant customer satisfaction. I was blown away.
    I told him to hold off, I had posted this on a couple AR-15 websites and wanted to know about the slam-fire probability, if it is real, or remote. Note that I always use a K&N priming tool to set my primers at a 0.002-0.003" crush and they are below the case head in pockets I have reamed/uniformed. I have never had a slam fire with the FN-FAL, and so am wondering if I am worrying too much?
    Last edited by Nitroman; 11-10-2011 at 15:04. Reason: Good News is Why...
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

This is one of the big reasons that when shipping something from my business that I like to do the final order by fax or email if possible. That way both parties have a hard copy of what was ordered.

Regardless, if my company sent the wrong stuff to you AND it was difficult for you to send the wrong stuff back to me, I would just eat the $381.00 and get you the right stuff.

If it were me, I would call back to the "big name" sporting goods store and make my case with the store manager. Explain the difference between the primers you got and the ones you wanted, and the reason you can't send them back. They should make it right.

WOW! Called the manager at the place and explained the above. He immediately told me he'd refund my money, and I could do with the primers as I wished. He also told me he'd do his best to get the special AR primers in for me. Talk about instant customer satisfaction. I was blown away.
    I told him to hold off, I had posted this on a couple AR-15 websites and wanted to know about the slam-fire probability, if it is real, or remote. Note that I always use a K&N priming tool to set my primers at a 0.002-0.003" crush and they are below the case head in pockets I have reamed/uniformed. I have never had a slam fire with the FN-FAL, and so am wondering if I am worrying too much?
    There you go You beat me with your edit

Trust me you will have no issues I have shot several hundred rds of 5.56/223 with std small rifle primers in them thru my AR with no issues.

All we need now is to know who it is.Maybe they will ship to Wrangell
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Nope, will not say on the open forum. Suffice to say I was entirely speechless when the manager told me he'd refund my money AND send me the new primers. That's simply over the top, but at the same time, I don't want to get the guy in Bush Sales fired. I know right now he is getting his *** chewed out.

I am posting on AR-15.com for some opinions too, especially from the spacegun crowd who shoot thousands of rounds. The firing pin in the FAL is almost identical to that of the AR and it's bigger too, so I think a slam-fire is rare, especially so when using carefully made rounds.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

The biggest difference between your FAL and your AR is that the FAL has a firing pin retracting spring to hold the firing pin to the rear until the hammer strikes it. Your AR does not have this feature. The firing pin is able to "float". With that being said, the probability of a slam fire in your AR is near zero unless a bunch of things go wrong at once.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Gunbugs,
    Thank you and 323 for those comments. Like I had stated previously, I always uniform the primer pockets, which is a PITA but oh well, and with the K&N tool, I know no primer will be high in the pocket.

So I am good. I will call that manager tomorrow and thank him for his concern about keeping me happy by doing the right thing, one guy out of tens of thousands would not make a difference to this outfit in state, let alone nationwide. And I'll ask him not to fire the Bush Sales guy because I have made some serious errors too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Your opinions welcome. I know I am going to own them now, but what should I do/say/how far to push it?

I told him to hold off, I had posted this ...
    Nitroman, as you know from other threads I know very little about reloading but quite a bit about business. I'd say you're conflating two totally separate issues. One issue is whether the primers will work; that has nothing to do with the company that sent you the wrong item. The other issue is about their customer service, and I'm not surprised they made it right, since it was mostly their error. Any competent business builds in some margin to account for such errors, especially one that knows customers are unable to return some types of items.

Based on your post, you made two errors. The smaller one was not to get written confirmation before shipping. The bigger one was to tell the manager "to hold off" while you check on the product. I believe you did this out of natural goodness, wanting to help him out. But in fact, you most likely put the manager in a bind, causing him to "lose face" by making it less of a clear-cut "we shipped the wrong item" type of error. It would probably be easier for him if you quickly called back to thank him for promptly correcting the situation, and agreed to his offer to locate and ship you the correct item. That is what might save each of them from "getting his *** chewed out" over the expensive error.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Suffice to say I was entirely speechless when the manager told me he'd refund my money AND send me the new primers.
    Based on your first post, I suspect you might have misunderstood the manager's offer. It seems more likely that he offered to refund the incorrect order, knowing you can't return it, and then start a new transaction to sell you the correct item at the correct price. That's what "he'd do his best to get [them] in for me" usually means. I might be wrong, he might be more generous, but it would be wise to allow him to clarify his intention before you assume that he plans to both refund AND replace, especially after the initial miscommunication.

Hope you find that helpful, apologies if you think it seems too obvious.
    Inspiration is simply the momentary cessation of stupidity.

I've been using CCI 400 primers for my ARs. No issues with them.

Nitroman -
    I use several small rifle primers in my AR loads (as well as various brands of brass), both CCI and Federal primers - no slam fires - and thank you for giving the vendor / manager in charge an opportunity to sort out this mistake; hopefully it will be viewed as an "educational / training issue" for the bush order employee (and any others that may not be aware of the AR primer in Federals line).
    Admitting a mistake and correcting it to the satisfaction of the customer goes a long way toward keeping that customer.
    And perhaps this vendor will stock the >>>GM205MAR: AR Small Rifle Match primer<<< in the future (hint).

Question

Nitroman -

any update on what will take place (regarding gm205mar primers) ?

Nothing to update. I called to leave a message with the manager that these (what I have), will be fine. That is all.