Thread: Kodiak Brown Bear spring or fall?

Default Kodiak Brown Bear spring or fall?

I'm applying for a non-res brown bear permit on Kodiak and am looking for some advice on whether to hunt the spring or fall. It seems that the hides could be better, if not rubbed, in spring, but also hitting it at the correct time can be a hit or miss proposition. I'm sure everyone has their own preference, so I'm just looking for some input as the application period for spring is upon us.

Thanks in advance!

I'm a fall guy myself. I've hunted afognak twice and I just like the crappy weather I guess. I also like that deer season is open but coming from the south deer probably don't mean much to you. I don't like the whole rubbed hide in spring problem. I've got a friend that had 2 opportunitys on his spring hunt and both had rub problems. Much more hunting light and much better weather in spring though. I'd put in for those 3 hunts we talked about earlier. My takeCheers and good luckJasonWith that said I am putting in for 3 spring kodiak hunts myself because that's what my hunting partner wants to do

Hey Jason, thanks for the input. We're definitely leanings towards fall, partner is interested in deer as well. However, I think he could be persuaded to hunt spring with enough info. Was hoping to get a little more feedback from other members, but apparently not much interest. I'm going to keep digging and see what I can find, we'll see!

On a completely different note, ran into Gavin a while back at one of our local watering holes! Funny, I knew some some of the guys he was hanging out with......which tells me a lot more about him!

Anyway, good luck with your spring draw, not sure yet if we'll be in it or not.

Let me know when you're in town, we'll round up Gavin for a cold drink and some wings!

Jeff

I live in Kodiak, and just took a nice bear on the road system on 31 October. He's got a nice hide with no significant rubbing. I guess I favor the fall because I just see more bears, probably because of the salmon run. It also just seems like its a more popular season with the local guides. But, that may be just my perception.

Spring - longer days, generally better weather. More chances of rubbed hides, but longer claws and if the bear is not rubbed the hid will be really good. Not the short uniform length fall hair. Better glassing and more active bears in the spring.

If you are considering Deer..then sounds like you have already made up your mind..lol

I would expected more post on this..but will tell you from my Kodiak experience..I will stay with the Spring hunts if I go back. I drew a spring tag and had a great trip. We had plenty of daylight to glass, and the weather was extreme. Went from blowing snow with 50-60mph winds to clear and 45 in about 24 hours..crazy weather system over there.

The tracks you will see in the snow will keep you motivated, making it easier to spot them as well while feeding and moving around. I know the rubs are a factor....but IMHO the bears are more sluggish and will provide you with ample amount of time to move in and stalk them while napping in the middle of the day.(assuming you spot one in the AM). seems to be the preference on hunting style there with many guides etc.

Whatever course you take..if you draw your tag and go, you will have a great time. Kodiak is an awesome place. I cant wait to go back.

Good luck on the draw.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Duck, thank you for the info. My hunting partner is interested in deer as well, but is relying on me to do the background work and recommend a hunt (season, location, & guide). I have had one very well respected Kodiak brown bear guide, on this board, tell me his favorite time on Kodiak is spring. I had decided on fall, but that opinion carried a lot weight, to make me take a second look. Would most definately hunt with that guide, but my partner is pretty adimant about staying in a lodge.

So thanks again for the info, spring hunt would be nice, as it wouldn't interfere with my whitetail hunting next fall.

Jeff

I've not hunted Kodiak, but I've killed brown bears in the spring and fall in GMU 17. I'll continue to hunt both as I love hunting bears, but if someone wanted to hunt for a once in a lifetime trophy and was looking for the greatest probability of success then I'd recommend a fall hunt. The weather can stink, but there will be bears out and about. The springtime hunts can be fickle. Bears can hold tight in their dens, the bears are more difficult to find and pattern, the weather can be outstanding, or it can be horrid as well. The heavy spring coat is gorgeous no doubt, but a sleek fall bear makes a great rug as well. You have found yourself in an envious position; one where there just isn't a wrong choice.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

The fall bear I saw just yesterday had the most magnificent hide. It really wasn't sluggish and I doubt if I was hunting him I would have had a shot.

I've got both spring hide and a fall hide. The fall hide (late oct.) presents much better on a rug in my case.

Spring, well, it's Spring. Who doesn't like to wander in the wilderness in the Spring?

Hey guys, thanks again for the input! These boards are truly an invaluable resource for those of us in L48 wanting to enjoy the absolutely incredible hunting that Alaska has to offer. Only wish I'd have spent more time here before my 09 hunt on the peninsula, that was an expensive disaster. Many lessons learned!

Hopefully going to talk with the biologist, Larry, on Kodiak tomorrow to pick his brain a bit, then make a decision. Right now, again leaning towards the fall.

Thank you!