Thread: Mid-Air Collision Avoidance meeting

Default Mid-Air Collision Avoidance meeting

I was at a CFI clinic at UAA last night and they reminded folks that next Wednesday (Nov. 16) there is a Mid-Air Collision Avoidance meeting being held at UAA-Merrill Field beginning at 6:00 p.m. The online registration is already full at 75 people, but we heard last night that there will be seating made available for an additional 50 people. Below is the info off the FAAST website:

Title:
    Can We Avoid Midair Collisions?

Topic:
    Midair Collision Avoidance

Date and Time:
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 , starting at 6:00 pm

Speaker(s):

NTSB, Flight Service and Airports Division, Alaska Aviation Safety Foundation

Brief Description:
    Avoiding Midair collisions is everyone's responsibility. Accidents this year indicate we must be more informed on mid air collision prevention. Pilots, Commercial and non commercial operators are encouraged to participate in this meeting. Topics include: VFR Operations in Mountain Passes and Mid-Air Collision Avoidance in Anchorage / Mat-Su

Hmm, maybe I can escape the family obligations long enough to get up there.
    We used to have monthly CFI meetings in Kenai or Soldotna for all of the Kenai Penn, CFIs and anyone else who wanted to come. But we stopped having them when the FAA did not recognize them as continuing training, even though they gave presentations at most of them...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Hmm, maybe I can escape the family obligations long enough to get up there.
    We used to have monthly CFI meetings in Kenai or Soldotna for all of the Kenai Penn, CFIs and anyone else who wanted to come. But we stopped having them when the FAA did not recognize them as continuing training, even though they gave presentations at most of them...
    One of the CFIs at the meeting on Wednesday mentioned that, too (that they used to have CFI meetings but stopped doing it). There were only about eight of us at the meeting and there were four FAA folks, so not a very big crowd. I think the weather might have stopped some from coming. Looks like there'll be a big crowd for the mid-air meeting next week.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

are those CFI meetings open to all CFI's in the area?...is there a email notification list or other way to find out about them?...I don't recall getting any info on it, but I get the safety notifications from the Fed's...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCzar View Post
    are those CFI meetings open to all CFI's in the area?...is there a email notification list or other way to find out about them?...I don't recall getting any info on it, but I get the safety notifications from the Fed's...
    Yes, the CFI meetings are open to all CFIs in the area.

If you're on the FAAST email notification, you might go into your account settings and see if you can adjust them to get more of the notifications. I found out about both meetings through the FAAST emails. I've got my settings set pretty broad with them, so sometimes I get stuff that's not really applicable to me, but that way I don't miss stuff that I am interested in.