Thread: River boats

Default River boats

Im moving up to the Fairbanks/North Pole area from South Dakota this winter. Im decided to sell my 19' Deep V, but im going to need somthing to replace it with come spring. I want to use it for hunting and Salmon in the rivers. I would like to have enough boat to haul a 4 wheeler around with a Moose. Im digging the heater in the boat idea you guys have up there, sounds like its alot better set up then the Mr. Heater in a open boat jigging for Walleye's! What should I be looking for? What to stay away from? I have been around boats for as long as I can rember, but nothing like the jet prop stuff you guys run. Thanks for the info guys

When you get here, start looking. Lots of ideas out there about what makes the best river boat. Only you can decide what is best for you, and that will happen as you see what people have done with their boats. The biggest factor in what boat works best for you is how thick your wallet is when you get up here.

Awsome, hopefully my wallets thick enough to do what I want or at least suit some of my needs. Thanks

The best boat type for rivers in Alaska is a AIRBOAT, bar none. Big or small, they will take you where you want to hunt and fish. Larger ones will carry a 4 wheeler and a moose. Smaller ones are light and easy to get around. Fuel consumption averages about the same as simular size jet boat. They come with and without cabs and heat. You can get them in all price ranges. Take a look at the airboat forum section, contact Skip on there who is in North Pole. He builds new boats and sell new and used. Take a look at Anchorage Craigs List, and Fairbanks also. The beauty of them is that they will go many places jets won't get near. You can park on a gravel bar to fish or hunt, you can climb a beaver dam and run across swamps full of grass and weeds, with or without water, also great running on ice and snow. Often you can pull up next to your moose and load it up without having to pack it miles. Yes, they are loud, but the newer ones with modern props are quiet enough to talk over while running. Feel free to pm me if you have questions. Bud
    Wasilla